- Volume 18 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical Characteristics of Red Garlic During Processing
홍마늘의 숙성 단계별 이화학적 특성
- Kang, Min-Jung (Namhae Garlic Research Institute) ;
- Yoon, Hwan-Sik (Namhae Garlic Research Institute) ;
- Jeong, Seong-Hun (Namhae Garlic Research Institute) ;
- Sung, Nak-Ju (Namhae Garlic Research Institute) ;
- Shin, Jung-Hye (Namhae Garlic Research Institute)
- Received : 2011.07.04
- Accepted : 2011.12.09
- Published : 2011.12.30
Physicochemical and physiological characteristics of red garlic were investigated in each of the four steps of its processing, and were compared with those of fresh and black garlic. With the progress in processing, the lightness value of the external and internal colors of the red garlic significantly decreased. The hardness was highest in the fresh garlic and lowest in the black garlic. During processing, the red garlic tended to become hard. The crudeprotein and ash contents were highest in the red garlic (step 4), but its moisture content was the lowest. The crudelipid content of the red garlic was lower than that of the fresh garlic. The pH of the red garlic showed little difference from that of the fresh garlic, but the black garlic was significantly, acidified. The acidity and pH contradicted each other : the black garlic had the highest acidity, and the acidity of the red garlic was within the low range. The fresh garlic had the lowest in reducing-sugar content, but such content was significantly increased in the red garlic and black garlic. Six kinds of organic acid were detected in the fresh garlic, and the same contents were also quantified in the red garlic until third step. In step 4, malic acid was not detected in the red garlic. Acetic and citric acid were only in the black garlic. S-allyl cysteine content of the red garlic was
Supported by : 농림수산식품부
- Shin JH, Ju JC, Kwen OC, Yang SM, Lee SJ, Sung NJ (2004) Physicochemical and physiological activities of garlic from different area. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 17, 237-245.
- Cavallito CJ, Buck JS, Suter CM (1944) Allicin, the antibacterial principle of Allium sativum. II. Determination of the chemical structure. J Amer Chem Soc, 66, 1592-1594.
- Ariga T, Oshiha S, Tamada T (1981) Platelet aggregation inhibitor in garlic. Lancet 1, 150-212.
Ichikawa M, Yoshida J, Ide N, Sasaoka T, Yamaguchi H, Ono K (2006) Tetrahydro-
$\beta$- carboline derivatives in aged garlic extract show antioxidant properties. J Nutr, 136, 726-731. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/136.3.726S
- Sharma KK, Sharma AL, Dwivedi KK, Sharma PK (1976) Effect of raw and boiled garlic on blood cholesterol in butter fat lipasemia. Ind J Nutr Dietet, 13, 7-10.
- Boleans M, de Valois PJ, Wobben HJ, vander Gen A (1971) Volatile flavor compounds from onion. J Agric Food Chem, 19, 984-991. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60177a031
- Park YK, Kang YH (2000) Enzymic maceration of vegetable with cell separating enzymes. Korean J Postharvest Sci Technol, 7, 184-188.
- Lee JW, Lee JG, Do JH, Sung HS (1997) Comparison of volatile flavor components between fresh and odorless garlic. Agric Biotechnol, 40, 451-454.
- Stoll A, Seebeck E (1951) Chemical investigation on alliin, the specific principle of garlic. Advan Enzymol, 11, 377-400.
- Kim WY, Kim JM, Han SB, Lee SK, Kim ND, Park MK, Kim CK, Park JH (2000) Steaming of ginseng at high temperature enhances biological activity. J Nat Prod, 63, 1702-1704. https://doi.org/10.1021/np990152b
- Dewanto V, Wu X, Adom KK, Liu RH (2002) Thermal processing enhances the nutritional value of tomatoes by increasing total antioxidant activity. J Agric Food Chem, 50, 3010-3014. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0115589
- Choi DJ, Lee SJ, Kang MJ, Cho HS, Sung NJ, Shin JH (2008) Physicochemical characteristics of black garlic(Allium sativum L.). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 37, 465-471 https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.4.465
- Lee JW, Ko HR, Shim KH (1998) Structural characteristics of the water soluble red reaction products isolated from Korean red ginseng. Korean J Food & Nutr, 11, 499-505.
- Choi YH, Shim YS, Kim CT, Lee C, Shin DB (2007) Characteristics of thiosulfinates and volatile sulfur compounds from blanched garlic reacted with allinase. Korean J Food Sci Technol, 39, 600-607.
- Jang EK, Seo JH, Lee SP (2008) Physiological activity and antioxidative effects of aged black garlic(Allium sativum L.) extract. Korean J Food Sci Technol, 40, 443-448.
- Canizares P, Gracia I, Gomez LA, Garcia A, Martin De Argila C, Boixeda D, de Rafael L (2004) Thermal degradation of allicin in garlic extracts and its implication on the inhibition of the in-vitro growth of Helicobacter pylori. Biotechnol Prog, 20, 32-37.
- Yang ST (2007) Antioxidative activity of extracts of aged black garlic on oxidation of human low density lipoprotein. J Life Sci, 17, 1330-1335. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.10.1330
- Rahman MS (2007) Allicin and other functional active components in garlic: health benefits and bioavaility. Inter J Food Proper, 10, 245-268.
- Lee SJ, Shin JH, Kang MJ, Jung WJ, Ryu JH, Kim RJ, Sung NJ (2010) Antioxidants activity of aged red garlic. Journal of Life Science, 20, 775-781. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.5.775
- Shin JH, Kang MJ, Kim RJ, Ryu JH, Kim MJ, Lee SJ, Sung NJ (2011) Biological activity of browning compounds from processed garlics separated by dialysis membrane. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 40, 357-365. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.3.357
- AOAC (1990) Offical methods of analysis. Washington DC, Association of Offical Analytical Chemists.
- Miller GL (1959) Use of dinitrosalicylic acid reagent for determination of reducing sugar. Anal Chem, 31, 426-428. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac60147a030
- Sung NJ, Kim JG, Lee SJ, Chung MJ (1997) Changes in amino acids contents of low-salt fermented small shrimp during the fermentation. J Inst Agri & Fishery Develop Gyeongsang Nat'l. Univ, 16, 1-10.
- Shin JH, Choi, DJ, Chung MJ, Kang MJ, Sung NJ (2008) Changes of physicochemical components and antioxidant activity of aged garlic at different temperatures, J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr, 37, 1174-1181. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.9.1174
- Choi JH, Kim WJ, Yang JW, Sung HS, Hong SK (1981) Quality changes in red ginseng extract during high temperature storage. J Korean Agric Chem Soc, 24, 50-58.
- Lee JW, Lee SK, Do JH, Shim KH (1998) Characteristics of the water soluble browning reaction of Korean red ginseng as affected by heating treatment. J Ginseng Res, 22, 193-199.
- Bae SK, Kim MR (2002) Effects of sodium metabisulfite and adipic acid on browning of garlic juice concentrate during storage. Korean J Food Cookery Sci, 18, 73-80.
- Kim HK, Jo KS, Shin DB, Kim IH (1987) Effects of phosphate complex treatment on the quality of dried garlic flakes. Korean J Food Sci Technol, 19, 75-80.
- Shin JH, Choi DJ, Lee SJ, Cha JY, Kim JG, Sung NJ (2008) Changed of physicochemical components and antioxidant activity of garlic during its processing. J life Sci, 18, 1123-1131. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.8.1123
- Kim YD, Seo JS, Kim KJ, Kim KM, Hur CK, Cho IK (2005) Component analysis by different heat treatments of garlic(Allium sativum L.). Korean J Food Preserv, 12, 161-165.
- Granroth B (1970) Biosynthesis and decomposition of cysteine derivatives in onion and other allium species. Annales Academicae scientiarum fennicae, Ser, A2, 154, 1.
- Amagase H, Petesch BL, Matsuura H, Kasuga S, Itakura Y (2001) Intake of garlic and its bioactive components. J Nutr, 31, 55-62.
- Kim KM, Chun SB, Koo MS, Choi WJ, Kim TW, Kwon YG, Chung HT, Billiar TR, Kim YM (2001) Differential regulation of NO availability from macrophages and endothelial cells by the garlic component S-allyl cysteine. Free Radic Biol Med, 30, 747-756. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(01)00460-9
- Biological Activities of Yellow Garlic Extract vol.44, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.7.983
- Analysis of Active Components of Giant Black Garlic vol.44, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.11.1672
- Changes in quality characteristic of immature flat persimmon (Diospyros kaki Thunb) during heat treatment aging vol.23, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2016.23.3.301
- Antioxidant activity of the Sumaeyaksuk tea extracts prepared with different drying and extract conditions vol.20, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.4.546
- Aged Red Garlic Extract Suppresses Nitric Oxide Production in Lipopolysaccharide-Treated RAW 264.7 Macrophages Through Inhibition of NF-κB vol.18, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1089/jmf.2014.3214
- Effect of Red Garlic-Composites on the Fecal Lipid Level and Hepatic Antioxidant Enzyme Activity in Rats Fed a High Fat-Cholesterol Diet vol.42, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.1.017
- Effect of Garlic Enzymatic Hydrolysates and Natural Color Resource Composites on Lipid Metabolism in Rat Fed a High Fat Diet vol.25, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2015.25.6.663
- Antioxidative Capacity and Quality Characteristics of Yanggaeng with Fermented Aged Black Giant Garlic (Allium ampeloprasum L. var. ampeloprasum auct.) Paste vol.27, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.9799/ksfan.2014.27.6.1014