- Volume 25 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development of Digital Gas Metal Arc Welding System and Welding Current Control Using Self-tuning Fuzzy PID
Doan, Phuc Thinh;Pratama, Pandu Sandi;Kim, Suk-Yoel;Kim, Hak-Kyeong;Yeun, Hwang-Yeong;Byun, Gi-Sig;Kim, Sang-Bong
- Received : 2011.06.13
- Accepted : 2011.12.23
- Published : 2011.12.31
This paper describes a new method for a digital gas metal arc welding (GMAW) system. The GMAW system is an arc welding process that incorporates the GMAW power source (PS-GMAW) with a wire feed unit (WFU). The PS-GMAW requires an electric power of constant voltage. A constant magnitude is maintained for the arc current by controlling the wire-feed speed of the WFU. A mathematical model is derived, and a self-tuning fuzzy proportional-integral-derivative (PID) controller is designed and applied to control the welding current. The electrode wire feeding mechanism with this controller is driven by a DC motor, which can compensate for both the molten part of the electrode and undesirable fluctuations in the arc length during the welding process. By accurately maintaining the output welding current and welding voltage at constant values during the welding process, excellent welding results can be obtained. Simulation and experimental results are shown to prove the effectiveness of the proposed controller.
GMAW;Gas Metal Arc Welding;Fuzzy;PID controller
- American Welding Society Inc. (1997). Welding HandBook
- Abdelrahman M.A. (1998). "Feedback Linearization Control of Current and Arc Length in GMAW Systems," In proceedings of the American control conference, Vol 3, pp 1757-1761.
- Chu W.H. and Tung P.C. (2005). "Development of an Automatic Arc Welding System Using a Sliding Mode Control," J. Mach. Tools Manuf., Vol 45, pp 933-939. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2004.10.012
- Kam B., Cho S. and Kim S.B. (2002). "A Study on Bead Height Control of GMAW by Short Circuit Time Ratio," Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, Vol 16, No 2, pp 53-59.
- Lincoln Electric Company (1997). MIG/MAG Welding Guide for Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), Third ed.
- Mohammad M.A. and Mohammad H. (2011). "Welding Current and Arc Voltage Control in a GMAW Process Using ARMarkov Based MPC," Journal of Control Engineering Practice.
- Naidu D.S., Ozcelik S. and Moore K.L. (2003). "Modeling Sensing and Control of Gas Metal Arc Welding," Elsevier publications.
- Ngo M.D., Duy V.H., Phuong N.T., Kim H.K. and Kim S.B. (2007). "Development of Digital Gas Metal Arc Welding System," Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol 189, pp 384-391. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.02.010
- Truong D.Q. and Ahn K.K. (2009). "Force Control for Hydraulic Load Simulator Using Self-Tuning Grey Predictor-Fuzzy PID," Mechatronics, Elsevier, Vol 19, pp 233-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechatronics.2008.07.007
- Zhang Y.M. and Liu Y.C. (2003). "Modeling and Control of Quasi-Keyhole Arc Welding Process," Control Engineering Practice, pp 1401-1411.
Grant : Human Resource Development Center for Economic Region Leading Industry
Supported by : Nation Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)