- Volume 25 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Variation of Axial Tension-Compression Fatigue Characteristics by UNSM on Ti-6Al-4V
Ti-6Al-4V재의 UNSM처리에 의한 축인장압축피로특성변화
- Received : 2011.08.22
- Accepted : 2011.12.23
- Published : 2011.12.31
The present study makes three original contributions to nanoskinned Ti-6Al-4V materials. The nanoskins were fabricated on Ti-6Al-4V material using various surface treatments: deep rolling (DR), laser shot peening (LSP), and ultrasonic nanocrystal surface modification (UNSM). These surface treatments are newly developed techniques and are becoming more popular in industrial fields. A fatigue strength comparison at up to 106 cycles was conducted on these nanoskinned Ti-6Al-4V materials. Fatigue tests were carried out using MTS under axial loading tension-compression fatigue (R = -1, RT, 5 Hz, sinusoidal wave). The analysis of the crack initiation patterns in the nanoskinned Ti-6Al-4V materials found an interior originating crack pattern and surface originating crack type. Microscopic observation was mainly used to investigate the fatigue fractured sites. These surface modification techniques have been widely adopted, primarily because of the robust grade of their mechanical properties. These are mainly the result of the formation of a large-scale, deep, and useful compressive residual stress, the formation of nanocrystals by the severe plastic deformation (SPD) at the subsurface layer, and the increase in surface hardness.
Axial loading tension-compression fatigue test;S-N curve;UNSM (Ultrasonic nanocrystal surface modification) technology;Fish eye crack;Facet;Compressive residual stress
- Altenberger, I. (2005). "Deep rolling-The Past, The Present and The Future", Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Shot Peening, pp 144-155.
- Chai, G. (2006). "The Formation of Subsurface Non-defect Fatigue Crack Origins", International Journal of Fatigue, Vol 28-11, pp 1533-1539.
- Ochi, Y., Matsumura, T., Sasaki, R., Masaki,. K., Sakai, T. and Sano, Y. (2011). "Effects of Laser Peening Treatment Without Protective Coation on High Cycle Fatigue Property of Ti-6Al- 4V Alloy", 5th International conference on Very High Cycle Fatigue, pp 369-374.
- Petit, J., Christine Sarrazin-Baudoux. and Martinez, J. (2007). "Very High Cycle Fatigue Behavior of Ti6246 Alloy in Air and in High Vacuum", 4th International conference on Very High Cycle Fatigue, pp 399-408.
- Prevey, P. and Jayaraman, N. (2005). "Overview of Low Plasticity Burnishing for Mitigation of Fatigue Damage Mechanisms", Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Shot Peening, pp 267-272.
- Sarrazin-Baudoux, C., Stanzl-Tschegg, S.E., Mayer, H. and Petit, J. (2011). "Ultra Slow Fatigue Crack Propagation in TA6V Titanium Alloy", 5th International conference on Very High Cycle Fatigue, pp 133-138.
- Suh, C.M. and Pyun, Y.S. (2011). "Improvement of VHCF Properties of AISI 1045, 4137, 52100 & H13 Steel by UNSM Treatment", 2011년도 한국해양공학회 춘계학술대회.
- Suh, C.M., Kim, M.H., Baek, U.B., Pyun, Y.S., Kim, C.S. and Chi, C.H. (2010a). "A Stduy on The Alternative Technonogy Using UNSM Instead of The Persetting Method for Torsion Bar", International journal of modern physics B, Vol 24, Nos 15-16, pp 2435-2440. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217979210065052
- Suh, C.M., Lee, M.H. and Pyoun, Y.S. (2010b). "Fatigue Characteristics of SKD-61 by Ultrasonic Nanocrystal Surface Modification Technology Under Static Load Variation", International journal of modern physics B, Vol 24, Nos 15-16, pp 2645-2650. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217979210065404
- Suh, C.M., Song, G.H. Suh, M.S. and Pyoun, Y.S. (2007). "Fatigue and Mechanical Characteristic of Nano-structured Tool Steel by Ultrasonic Cold Forging Technology", Materials Science and Engineering A 443, pp 101-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.08.066
- Thomas, M.B. (2002). "High Cycles Fatigue (HCF) Science and Technology Program 2001 Annual Report", AFRL-PR-WPTR-2002-2060.
- Watanabe, Y., Hasegawa, N. and Duchazeaubeneix J.M. (2003). "Effect of Ultrasonic Shot Peening on Fatigue Strength of High Strength Steel", Proc. 8th Int. Conf. on Shot Peening, pp 306-310.
- Zuo, J.H., Wang, Z.G. and Han, E.H. (2007). "Fatigue Behavior of Ti-6Al-4V Alloy in Very High Cycle Regime", 4th International conference on Very High Cycle Fatigue, pp 255-260.
- 편영식, 박정현, 조인호, 김창식, 서창민 (2009). "초음파 나노표면개질기술의 특성과 활용방안 연구", 대한기계학회논문집(A), 33-3 pp 190-195. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.3.190
- Effects of Different Mechanical Surface Enhancement Techniques on Surface Integrity and Fatigue Properties of Ti-6Al-4V: A Review pp.1547-6561, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/10408436.2018.1492368
Supported by : 한국연구재단