- Volume 25 Issue 6
The mining of imitated manganese noodles in 1000 m of seawater is planned for 2012. Thus, it is necessary to prepare the lifting pipes to be used for the test. Because of storage and expense constraints, flexible and economic HDPE pipe is being considered, making it necessary to test the structural safety. Material, pressure-chamber tests and finite element analysis of HDPE pipe for the 1000-m depth were performed. The tangential stiffness of HDPE was obtained through tension and three-point bending material tests and used for a structural analysis. FEA results show that the current sample pipe segment is safe for 1000 m of water pressure, and the stress result is also within the safe value. From the current results, the HDPE pipe seems to be acceptable only for the currently suggested constraints. However, more numerical and pressure tests need to be considered by applying additional physical conditions such as gravitational and hydrodynamic loads, external and internal fluid pressure, axial force induced ship motion, and heavy pump pressure to determine future usage.
Manganese noodle collection;Lifting pipe;HDPE (High Density PolyEthylene) Pipe;Tension and bending test;Pressure test
- DeepFlex, Inc. Products & Services Advantages DeepFlex Composite vs. Steel, www.deepflex.com
- Gere, J. M. (2010). Mechanics of Materials, Kyobobook.
- Handschuh, R., Grebe H., Panthel, J. and etc (2001). "Innovative Deep Ocean Mining Concept Based on Flexible Riser and Self-propelled Mining Machines," 4th ISOPE Ocean Mining Symposium.
- Liu, S., Dai, Y., Cao, X. and Li, L. (2008). "Dynaamic Analysis of The Complete Integrated Deep-ocean Mining Pilot System Based on Single-body Tracked Miner and Discrete Element Model of Pipe", Proceedings of the eighth ISOPE Ocean Mining Symposium.
- Park, H., Min, C., Teng. B, Kwon, Y. and Kim, B. (2010). "Effects of Fluid and Structural Damping on Axial Vibration of an ulTra Long Ocean Pipe With a Heavy Buffer", Proceedings of the tenth ISOPE Ocean Mining Symposium.
- Song, C.Y., Lee, J. and Choung J. (2010). "A Pproximate Optimization Using Moving Least Squares Response Surface Methods: Application to FPSO Riser Support Design," 한국해양공학회지, 제24권, 제 1호, pp 20-33.
- Wang, G. and Liu, S. (2005). "Dynamic Analysis on 3-D Motions of Deep-ocean Mining Pipe System for 1000-m Sea Trial", Proceedings of the eighth ISOPE Ocean Mining Symposium.
- Wang, G., Liu, S. and Li, L. (2007). "FEM Modeling for 3D Dynamic Analysis of Deep-ocean Mining Pipeline and Its Experimental Verification", J. Cent. South Univ. Tech., 06-0808-06, pp 808-813.
- 정동호, 김현주, 박한일 (2004). "수치해석적 방법을 통한 해양 심층수 취수용 유연 라이저의 거동 해석에 관한 연구", 한국해양공학회지, 제18권, 제4호, pp 15-22.
Grant : 심해저 광물자원 양광시스템 개발
Supported by : 국토해양부