- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of Smoking on Oral Health : Preliminary Evaluation for a Long-Term Study of a Group with Good Oral Hygiene
흡연이 구강 건강에 미치는 영향 : 구강 위생이 양호한 집단의 장기적 연구를 위한 예비 평가
- Lee, Hyun-Suk (Department of Oral Medicine and Institute of Dental Science, School of Dentistry Dankook University) ;
- Kim, Mee-Eun (Department of Oral Medicine and Institute of Dental Science, School of Dentistry Dankook University)
- Received : 2011.10.10
- Accepted : 2011.11.21
- Published : 2011.12.30
Tobacco smoking is a major risk factor of systemic health and also impairs oral health, which is related to development of oral cancers, periodontitis, delayed wound healing, tooth loss, failure of implant, etc. Aside from smoking, many other risk factors can be related to oral health and long-term effects of smoking on salivary flow and taste threshold are still in controversy. Authors considered dental students to be an appropriate group with good oral hygiene for a long-term study to reveal effects of smoking on oral health. This study was performed to compare smoking patterns and current oral health conditions between smokers and nonsmokers in dental students prior to long-term evaluation. 192 volunteers (85.7%) of 224 male dental students in Dankook University were evaluated through questionnaires and clinical examination in 2010. Questionnaires included smoking pattern, alcohol use, nicotine dependence, preventive care, psychological profile and clinical examinations comprised assessment of teeth or periodontal status, nicotine pigmentation, salivary flow, electrical taste thresholds and halitosis. From the study, (current) smokers were older, and drank more frequently with more alcohol intake compared to former smokers and nonsmokers(p<0.05). There was no significant difference among them in salivary flow rate, halitosis and electrical taste threshold. However, there was significant difference in DMFT rate, periodontal treatment need, nicotinic pigmentation between smokers and nonsmokers(p<0.05), irrespective of their levels of preventive care. The smokers in this study, who are young dental students with relatively shorter duration of smoking, less use of cigarettes and low level of nicotine dependence, did not reveal significant impairment of oral health. However, their oral health was found to be relatively impaired compared to nonsmokers', which suggests negative effect of smoking on the oral health and a need of smoking cessation.
- Yoo SL, Kim KH, Kim KK, Kim JH. Trends of smoking attributable mortality in Korea. Korean Assoc Health Med Soc 2005;17:133-148.
- 이은하, 박수경, 고광필 외. 한국인의 흡연과 사망위험에 관한 코호트 연구. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health 2010;43:151-158. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.2.151
- Blot WJ, McLaughlin JK, Winn DM et al. Smoking and drinking in relation to oral and oral and pharyngeal cancer. Cancer Res 1988;48:3282-3287.
- Tonetti MS. Cigarette smoking and periodontal disease: Etiology and management of disease. Ann Periodontol 1988;3:88-101.
- American Academy of Periodontology. Tobacco use and the periodontal patient (position paper). J Periodontol 1999;70:1419-1427. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.1918.104.22.1689
- Hayes RB, Bravo-Otero E, Kleinman DV et al. Tobacco and alcohol use and oral cancer in Puetro Rico. Cancer Causes Control 1999;10:27-33. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008876115797
- Marshall JR, Graham S, Haughey BP et al. Smoking, alcohol, dentition and diet in the epidemiology of oral cancer. Eur J Cancer Oral Oncol 1992;28B:9-15.
- Mashberg A, Boffetta P, Winkelman R, Garfinkel L. Tobacco smoking, alcohol drinking, and cancer of the oral cavity and oropharynx among U.S. veterans. Cancer 1993;72:1369-1375. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19930815)72:4<1369::AID-CNCR2820720436>3.0.CO;2-L
- Bartsch H, Nair U, Risch A et al. Genetic polymorphism of CYP genes, alone or in combination, as a risk modifier of tobacco-related cancers. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2000;9:3-28.
- Papapanou PN. Periodontal diseases: Epidemiology. Ann Periodontol 1996;1:1-36. https://doi.org/10.1902/annals.1922.214.171.124
- Bergstrom J. Cigarette smoking as a risk factor in chronic periodontal disease. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1989;17:245-247. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1989.tb00626.x
- Calsina G, Ramon JM, Echeverria J-J. Effects of smoking on periodontal tissues. J Periodontol 2002;29:771-776. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051X.2002.290815.x
- Haffajee AD and Socransky SS. Relationship of cigarette smoking to attachment level profiles. J Clin Periodontol 2001;28:283-295. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051x.2001.028004283.x
- Bergstrom J, Elisson S. Cigarette smoking and alveolar bone height in subjects with a high standard of oral hygiene. J Clin Periodontol 1987;14:466-469. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.1987.tb02253.x
- Bergstrom J, Eliasson S, Preber H. Cigarette smoking and periodontal bone loss. J Peiodontol 1991;62:242-246. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19126.96.36.199
- Johnson GK and Hill M. Cigarette smoking and the periodontal patient. J Periodontol 2004;75:196-209. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2004.75.2.196
- Lambert PM, Morris HF, Ochi S. The influence of smoking on 3-year clinical success of osseointegrated dental implants. Ann Periodontol 2000;5:79-89. https://doi.org/10.1902/annals.2000.5.1.79
- Wallace RH. The relationship between cigarette smoking and dental implant failure. Eur J Prosthdont Restor Dent 2000;8:103-106.
- Millar WJ and Locker D. Smoking and oral health status. JCDA 2007;73:155-155g
- Vellappally S, Fiala Z, Smejkalova J et al. smoking related systemic and oral diseases. Acta Medica 2007;50:161-166.
- Reibel J. Tobacco and oral disease. Med Princ Pract 2003;12(suppl 1):22-32.
- 서홍관, 정유석, 명승권, 김열, 이원경: 한국 성인 흡연자들의 흡연관련 특성- 2005년 국제담배규제정책평가조사 결과. 가정의학학회지. 2008;29:844-853.
- 송제일, 이기호, 김미은, 김기석. 국내 치과대학병원에서 시행한 단기 금연 진료에 대한 조사. 대한구강내과학회지 2010;35:245-257.
- Bobo JK and Husten C. Sociocultural influences on smoking and drinking. Alcohol Research & health 2000;24:225-232.
- 보건복지부 국가건강정보포털-알코올중독의 진단: http://health.mw.go.kr/HealthInfoArea /HealthInfo.aspx?Mode=View&IDX=3700&CIC=70418214F2
- Lacchetti C, Cohen J, Ashley MJ et al. Is nicotine dependence related to smokers' support for restrictions on smoking? Nicotine Tob Res 2001;3:257-260.
- Tomar SL and Asma S. Smoking-attributable periodontitis in the United States: findings from HNANES III. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Periodontol 2000;71;743-751. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2000.71.5.743
- 김영구 외. 구취: 입냄새의 원인과 치료방법. 2008 신흥인터내셔날 pp.16-53.
- Nalcaci T, Baran I. Factors associated with self-reported halitosis (SRH) and perceived taste disturbance (PTD) in elderly. Arch Gerontol Geriatr 2008;46:307-316. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2007.05.004
- Miyazaki H, Sakao S, Katho Y, Takehara T. Correlation between volatile sulphur compounds and certain oral health measurement in the general population. J Periodontol 1995;66:679-684. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.19188.8.131.529
- Bornstein MM, Kislig K, Hoti BB, Seemann R, Lussi A. Prevlence of halitosis in the population of the city Bern, Switzerland: A study comparing self-reported and clinical data. Eur J Oral Sci 2009;117:261-267. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0722.2009.00630.x
- Konstantinidis I, Chatziavramidis A, Printza A, Metaxas S, Constantinidis J. Effects of smoking on taste: Assessment with contact endoscopy and taste strips. Laryngoscope 2010;120:1958-1963. https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.21098
- Lie MA, Loos BG, Henskens YM et al. Salivary cystatin activity and cystatin C in natural and experimental gingivitis in smokers and non-smokers. J Clin Periodontol 2001;28:979-984. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051x.2001.028010979.x