- Volume 30 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Study on Analysis of Evanescent Waves Generating the Strong End Axial Vibration of a Finite Cylindrical Shell
유한 원통셸의 큰 끝단 종진동을 발생시키는 감쇠파에 대한 분석 연구
- Received : 2011.08.09
- Accepted : 2011.09.19
- Published : 2011.10.31
Propagating waves (flexural, longitudinal and shear waves) travelling with constant amplitudes and evanescent waves decaying exponentially are generated on a cylindrical shell. Evanescent waves are generally generated in the vicinity of an vibration excitation point and near ends of the shell. But the evanescent waves can generates strong axial vibration at the ends of the cylindrical shell. The strong end axial vibration due to those evanescent waves has been observed in an author's previous paper dealing with measurements of the in-plane axial vibration of a finite cylindrical shell. In this paper the strong end axial vibration due to the evanescent waves has been theoretically analyzed. In order to analyze the vibration of the cylindrical shell, wave propagation approach has been implemented. Comparison between theoretical and experimental results for the axial vibration of the shell showed that the strong evanescent wave can be generated due to mode conversion (conversion from flexural wave to evanescent wave) at the ends of cylindrical shell. It also showed that the evanescent wave can generate the strong axial vibration near the ends of the cylindrical shell and that it can have effect even on 1/3 of the total length of the shell.
Finite cylindrical shell;Propagating waves;Evanescent waves;Strong end axial vibration;Mode conversion
- H.D. McNiven, "Extensional waves in a semi-infinite rod", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 23-27, 1961. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1908392
- D.C. Gazis and R.D. Midlin, "Extensional vibrations and waves in a circular disk and a semi-infinite plates," J. Appl. Mech., vol. 27, pp. 541-547, 1960. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3644037
- J.D. Kaplunov, L.Y. Kossovich and M. V. Wilde, "Free localized vibrations of a semi-infinite cylindrical shell," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 1383-1393, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.428426
- J. Oliver, "Elastic wave dispersion in a cylindrical rod by a wide-band short duration pulse technique,", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 189-194, 1957. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1908824
- E.A.G. Shaw, "On the resonant vibrations of thick barium titanate disks," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 38-50, 1956. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.1908218
- H.-G. Kil, "Observation of strong in-plane end vibration of a cylindrical shell," J. Acoust. Soc. Korea, vol. 21, no. 4E, pp. 183-188, 2002.
- E.G. Williams, B.H. Houston and J.A.Bucar, "Experimental Investigation of the wave propagation on a point-driven, submerged capped cylinder using k-space analysis," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 513-522, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.398922
- Brigham, E. O., 1974, The Fast Fourier Transform, Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- 길현권, 이찬, "원통셀의 진동 데이터에 대한 파수 해석을 위한 공간신호처리 방법의 응용 연구," 한국소음진동공학회논문집, 20권, 9호, pp. 863-875, 2010.
- 길현권, "탄성파를 이용한 유한 원통셀의 강제진동 해석", 한국음향학회지, 18권, 2호, pp. 83-89, 1999.
- Y.C. Glandier, Y.H. Berthelot and J. Jarzynski, "Wave-vector analysis of the forced vibrations of cylindrical shells," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 1985-1993,1992. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.405248
- M.C. Junger and D. Feit, Sound, Structures, and Their Interaction, pp.216-218, Acoustical Society of America, 1993.
- Y. Irie, "Prediction of structure borne sound transmission using statistical energy analysis," Bulletin of the M.E.S.J., vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 60-73, 1985.
- H.-G. Kil, J. Jarzanski and Y. H. Berthelot, "Wave decomposition of the vibrations of a cylindrival shell with automated scanning laser vibrometer," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 3161-3168, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.423956