- Volume 13 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of habitat substrates and companion plants on the growth of Menyanthes trifoliata
서식 기질과 동반종이 조름나물의 생장에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2011.10.05
- Accepted : 2011.12.02
- Published : 2011.12.31
Bog bean (Menyanthes trifoliata L.) is an endangered species in Korea, inhabiting in montane wetlands. Its' habitats are decreasing due to artificial disturbances and climate change in Korea. Interspecies competitions determine the distribution of a species and it is important to examine the effects of companion species on the growth of a species. To reveal the effects of habitat substrate and companion species on the growth of bog bean, we compared the growth parameters of bog bean at three substrate conditions where plant communities were formed: water column, Sphagnum mat, and paddy soil. Bog bean had the highest relative coverage at Sphagnum mat condition and there are few species whose height were higher than it. In contrast, there were many species larger than bog bean at paddy soil condition. The maximum coverage of bog bean was the largest at water column condition, and the lowest at paddy soil condition. Our results indicate that the growth of bog bean was more restricted by interspecific competition at paddy soil condition than at Sphagnum mat condition. Those results suggest that bog bean avoid competitions by expansion of rhizome rather than elongation of its height. For conservation or creation of bog bean habitats, it is necessary to offer the environment where other species cannot survive well.
bog bean;conservation;endangered species;habitat substrate;interspecific competitions
Grant : 습지생태계조성 및 자연생태 회복기술 개발
Supported by : 환경부
- 양해근, 최태봉. 2009. 물수지를 고려한 신안장도 산지습지의 관리방안. 한국지형학회지 16(4): 61-71.
- 이광문, 김재근. 2011. 조름나물의 성장에 미치는 서식 기질의 영향. 한국습지학회지 13(2): 355-362.
- 이수동. 2009. 산지습지의 육상화 진행실태 및 관리방안-양산시 화엄늪을 사례로. 한국환경생태학회 학술대회논문집 91권 1호 pp 114-116.
- 이영노. 2006. 새로운 한국식물도감. 교학사.
- 이창복. 1998. 대한식물도감. 향문사.
- 장병오, 신성욱, 최기룡. 2006. 지리산 왕등재늪의 식생 변천사 연구. 한국생태학회 29(3): 287-293.
- 최기룡, 고재기. 1989. 대암산 습원의 식생. 한국생태학회지 12(4): 237-244.
- 최효종, 허권. 2009. 고층습원 대암산 용늪의 식물상 모니터링. 한국자연보호학회지 3(2): 93-104.
- 환경부 UNDP/GEF 국가습지보전사업관리단. 2010. 2010 전국내륙습지 일반조사. 환경부. pp 606-621.
- Austin MP, Fresco LFM, Nicolls AO, Groves RH, Kaye PE. 1988. Competition and relative yield: Estimation and interpretation at different densities and under various nutrient concentrations using Silybum marianum and Cirsium vulagare. Journal of Ecology 76: 157-171. https://doi.org/10.2307/2260460
- Bolnick DI, Ingram T, Stutz WE,Snowberg LK, Lau OL, Paull JS. 2010. Ecological release from interspecific competition leads to decoupled changes in population and individual niche width. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 277: 1789-1797.
- Haraguchi A, Matsui K. 1990. Nutrient dynamics in a floating mat and pond system with special reference to its vegetation. Ecological Research 5(1): 63-79. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02348464
- Haraguchi A. 1991. Effect of flooding-drawdown cycle on vegetation in a system of floating peat mat and pond. Ecological Research 6(3): 247-263. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02347126
- Haraguchi A. 1993. Phenotypic and phenological plasticity of an aquatic macrophyte Menyanthes trifoliata L. Journal of Plant Research 106: 31-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02344370
- Haraguchi A. 1996. Rhizome growth of Menyanthes trifoliata L. in a population on a floating peat mat in Mizorogaike pond, central Japan. Aquatic Botany 53: 163-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3770(96)01022-4
- Hewett DG. 1964. Menyanthes Trifoliata L. Journal of Ecology 52(3): 723-735. https://doi.org/10.2307/2257858
- Hutchison GE. 1957. Concluding remarks. Cold Spring Harbor Symposia Quantitative Biology 22: 415-427. https://doi.org/10.1101/SQB.1957.022.01.039
- Kamphake LJ, Hannah SA, Cohen JM. 1967. Automated analysis for nitrate by hydrazine reduction. Water Research 1(3): 205-216. https://doi.org/10.1016/0043-1354(67)90011-5
- Liddicoat ML, Tibbits MI, Butler EI. 1975. The determination of ammonia in seawater. Limnology and Oceanography 20(1): 131-132. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1975.20.1.0131
- Malmer N, Albinsson C, Svensson BM, Wallen B. 2003. Interferences between Sphagnum and vascular plants: effects on plant community structure and peat formation. Oikos 100: 469-482. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0706.2003.12170.x
- Mitchley J, Grubb PJ. 1986. Control of relative abundance of perennials in chalk grassland in Southern England. Journal of Ecology 74: 1139-1166. https://doi.org/10.2307/2260240
- Pulliam HR. 2000. On the relationship between niche and distribution. Ecology Letters 3: 349-361. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1461-0248.2000.00143.x
- Solorzano L. 1969. Determination of ammonia in natural waters by the phenolhypochlorite method. Limnology and Oceanography 14: 799-801. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1969.14.5.0799
- van Breemen N. 1995. How Sphagnum bogs down other plants. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 10(7): 270-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-5347(95)90007-1
- van den Broek T, Boudewijn B. 2006. Germination and seedling survival in fens undergoing succession. Plant Ecology 185: 221-237. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11258-006-9100-0
- Wilson SD. 1993. Competition and resource availability in heath and grassland in the snowy mountain of Australia. Journal of Ecology 81: 445-451. https://doi.org/10.2307/2261523
- Yoon J, Kim H, Nam JM, Kim JG. 2011. Optimal environmental range for Juncus effusus, an important plant species in an endangered insect species (Nannopya pygmaea) habitat in Korea. Journal of Ecology and Field Biology 34(2): 223-235. https://doi.org/10.5141/JEFB.2011.024