- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Performance Improvement Method with Considering of Congestion Prediction and Packet Loss on UDT Environment
UDT 환경에서 혼잡상황 예측 및 패킷손실을 고려한 성능향상 기법
- Received : 2010.12.02
- Accepted : 2011.01.14
- Published : 2011.02.28
Recently, the bandwidth available to an end user has been dramatically increasing with the advancing of network technologies. This high-speed network naturally requires faster and/or stable data transmission techniques. The UDT(UDP based Data Transfer protocol) is a UDP based transport protocol, and shows more efficient throughput than TCP in the long RTT environment, with benefit of rate control for a SYN time. With a NAK event, however, it is difficult to expect an optimum performance due to the increase of fixed sendInterval and the flow control based on the previous RTT. This paper proposes a rate control method on following a NAK, by adjusting the sendInterval according to some degree of RTT period which calculated from a set of experimental results. In addition, it suggests an improved flow control method based on the TCP vegas, in order to predict the network congestion afterward. An experimental results show that the revised flow control method improves UDT's throughput about 20Mbps. With combining the rate control and flow control proposed, the UDT throughput can be improved up to 26Mbps in average.
Bulk Data Transmission;High-speed Network;TCP Vegas;Congestion Prediction;UDT
- E. He, J. Leigh, O. Yu, and T. A. Defanti, "Reliable Blast UDP: Predictable High Performance Bulk Data Transfer," International Conference on IEEE CLUSTER'02, pp. 317-324, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/CLUSTR.2002.1137760
- S. Floyd, "HighSpeed TCP for Large Congestion Windows," IETF, RFC3649, 2003.
- T. Kelly, "Scalable TCP: Improving Performance in Highspeed Wide Area Networks," ACM Computer Communication Review, Vol.32, No.2, pp.83-91, 2003.
- L. Xu, K. Harfoush, and I. Rhee, "Binary Increase Congestion Control(BIC) for Fast Long-Distance Networks," IEEE INFOCOM'04, Vol.4, pp.2514-2524, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/INFCOM.2004.1354672
- M. R. Meiss, "Tsunami: A High-Speed Rate-Controlled Protocol for File Transfer," www.evl.uic.edu/eric/atpTSUNAMI.pdf/, 2009.
- Y. Gu and Robert L. Grossman, "UDT: UDP Based Data Transfer for High Speed Wide Area Networks," Computer Networks, Vol.51, No.7, pp.1777-1799, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comnet.2006.11.009
- V. Jacobson and M. Kerels, "Congestion Avoidance and Control," ACM SIGCOMM'88, Vol.18, No.4, pp.314-319, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1145/52325.52356
- V. Jacobson, "Modified TCP Congestion Avoidance Algorithm," LBNL Technical Report, 1990.
- L. Brakmo, S. O'malley, and L. Peterson, "TCP Vegas: New Techniques for Congestion Detection and Avoidance," ACM SIGCOMM'94, Vol.24, No.4, pp.24-35, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1145/190314.190317
- Y. Gu, "UDT: A High Performance Data Transport Protocol," Ph.D Thesis, Laboratory for Advanced Computing, Univ. of Illinois at Chicago, 2005.
- 박종선, 김승해, 조기환, "UDT 환경에서 패킷 로스를 위한 효율적인 혼잡제어 방안에 관한 연구," 제4회 정보통신분야학회 합동학술대회 논문집, pp.217-220, 2010.
- 이선헌, 송병훈, 정광수, "TCP Vegas에서 공정성 향상을 위한 혼잡제어 알고리즘," 한국정보과학회논문지, 제32권, 제5호, pp.583-592, 2005.
- 이승아, 김승해, 조기환, "혼잡예측 기반의 UDT 흐름제어 기법," 제 34회 한국정보처리학회 추계학술대회 논문집, 제17권, 제2호, pp.1019-1022, 2010.