- Volume 23 Issue 6
The Effects of Circuit Weight Training Programs including Aquatic Exercises on the Body Composition and Serum Lipid Components of Women with Obesity
- Kim, Gi-Won (Department of Physical Therapy, Suwon Women's College) ;
- Hwang, Ryong (Department of Physical Therapy, Dongnam Health College)
- Received : 2011.10.31
- Accepted : 2011.11.29
- Published : 2011.12.26
Purpose: This study investigated the changes in body composition and serum lipid composition in obese women that were caused by a 12-week circuit exercise regime including both field and aquatic activities. Methods: Subjects comprised a total of 36 women who had a BMI of more than
Supported by : Dong-Nam Health College
- Andersen RE, Wadden TA, Bartlett SJ et al. Effects of lifestyle activity vs structured aerobic exercise in obese women. JAMA. 1999;281(4):335-340. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.281.4.335
- No HK. Effects of combined exercise program on body composition and adipocytokine in obese middle age women. Mokpo National University. Dissertation of Doctorate Degree. 2011.
- World Health Organization Expert consultation. Appropriate body-mass index for asian populations and implications for policy and intervention strategies. Lancet. 2004;363(9403): 157-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)15268-3
- Cho KL. The effect of continuance and resumption of combined exercise on health-related fitness, obesity indices, blood lipids in middle-aged obese women. Chang-won National University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2008.
- Korea health statistics 2009 : Korea national health and nutrition examination survey(KNHANES IV-3). 48-49, 442- 479.
- Kim JH. Application of exercise programs to exercise counseling for hypertension and diabetic patients. Keimyung University. Dissertation of Doctorate Degree. 2008.
- Martins RA, Verissimo MT, Coelho e Silva MJ et al. Effects of aerobic and strength-based training on metabolic health indicators in older adults. Lipids in Health and Disease. 2010;22(9):76-81.
- Brownell KD, Stunkard AJ. Behavioral treatment of obesity in children. Am J Dis Child. 1978;132(4):403-412.
- Oh IW. The effect of 12 week aquatic exercise on body composition, blood pressure, blood lipid and inflammatory markers in the obese elderly women. Gyeongsang National University. Dissertation of Doctorate Degree. 2011.
- Sarsan A, Ardiç F, Ozgen M et al. The effects of aerobic and resistance exercise in obese women. Clin Rehabil. 2006; 20(9):773-782. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215506070795
- Park JB. The effect of 24 weeks aerobic exercise program on %body fat and blood component, physical function in middle-aged obese women. Konyang University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2008.
- Irwin ML, Yasui Y, Ulrich CM. Effect of exercise on total and intra-abdominal body fat in postmenopausal women. JAMA. 2003;289(3):323-330 https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.289.3.323
- Jung JE, Yang SJ, Kang JH. The case study of prescribed exercise for obese adults. Health & Sports Medicine; Official Journal of KACEP. 2007;9(1):77-84.
- Nelson ME, Rejeski WJ, Blair SN et al. Physical activity and public health in older adults: Recommendation from the american college of sports medicine and the American heart association. Circulation. 2007;116(9):1094-1105. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.185650
- Okura T, Nakata Y, Ohkawara K et al. Effects of aerobic exercise on metabolic syndrome improvement in response to weight reduction. Obesity. 2007;15(10):2478-2484. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2007.294
- Wong CH, Chia YH, Tsou YY et al. Effects of a 12-week exercise training programme on aerobic fitness, body composition, blood lipids and C-reactive protein in adolescents with obesity. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2008;37(4):286-293.
- Garrow JS, Summerbell CD. Meta-analysis; effect or exercise, with or without dieting, on the body composition of overweigth subjects. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1995;49(1):1-10.
- Wilmore JH. Variations in physical activity habits and body composition. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1995;19(suppl. 4):S107-S112.
- Kokkinos PF, Holland JC, Narayan P et al. Miles run per week and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol level in healthy, middle-aged men; A dose-response relationship. Arch Intern Med. 1995;155(4):415-420. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.1995.00430040091011
- American college of sports medicine. ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescrrption. 7th ed. Baltimore, Lippincott Williams & Willkins Publishers, 2006: 216-219.
- Heo YH, Kim EJ, Seo HS et al. The effect of 16 week exercise program on abdominal fat, serum lipids, blood glucose, and blood pressure in obese women. Korean society for the study of obesity. 2010;19(1):16-23.
- Takeshima N, Effect of concurrent aerobic and resistance circuit exercise training on fitness in older adults. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2004;93(1-2):173-182. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-004-1193-3
- Fett CA, Fett WC, Marchini JS. Circuit weight training vs jogging in metabolic risk factors of overweight/obese women. Arq Bras Cardiol. 2009;93(5):519-525. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0066-782X2009001100013
- Castelli WP, Garrison PW, Willson PW et al. Incidence of coronary heart disease and lipoprotein cholesterol levels: The faramingham study. JAMA. 1986;256(20):2835-2838. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1986.03380200073024
- Han HJ. The effects of 12 weeks endurance exercise training on carriers in blood. Exercise Science. 2004;13(1):15-24.
- Kim EJ, Kim GY. Aerobic and graduated treadmill exercise decrease blood glucose levels, lipid levels and oxidative stress in an animal model of type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2010;22(6):65-70.
- Son JY. The effects of aquarobics on body composition and blood lipid of obese older women aged 55 to 65. Pukyong National University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2011.
- Park MJ. The effect of aquarobics exercise on the physical fitness and blood lipid profiles of obese women. Changwon National University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2006.
- Wilder RP, Brennan DK. Physiological response to deep water running in athletes. Sports Med. 1993;16(6):374-380. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199316060-00003
- Han DW. Effects of aqua exercise program on the improvement of physical function, body compositions and blood components in the older adults. Daegu University. Dissertation of Doctorate Degree. 2002.
- Oh SI, Hwang YS, Cho JH. The effects of 10 weeks' aerobic exercise upon blood related components of middle aged obese women with hypertension and diabetes. Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women. 2009;23(3):11-21.
- Yu JH, Lee SM. Correlations of physical fitness factors, antioxidant enzymes, lipid peroxidation, lipid profiles, lactate levels and cardiovascular variables in an exercising group and controls. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2010;22(3):61-69.
- Kerksick CM, Wismann-Bunn J, Fogt D et al. Changes in weight loss, body composition and cardiovascular disease risk after altering macronutrient distributions during a regular exercise program in obese women. Nutr J. 2010;9:59. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-9-59
- Park BS. A study on the effects of twelve-week middle-aged obese women exercise programs upon their physical figures, physical strength, physical constitution, and serum lipid. Chung-Ang University. Dissertation of Doctorate Degree. 2006.
- Ko KJ. The effect of aqua-aerobics program on serum lipid components, leptin and insulin concentratrion in obese women. Korea Sport Research. 2003;14(4):1447-1458.
- Jeon CR. The effects of combined exercises and aerobic exercise on blood pressure, body composition indexes, fitness and blood in older female hypertensive patients. Sang-myung University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2009.