- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Antimicrobial Activity and Bactericidal Activity of Caesalpinia sappan L. Extract
소목 추출물의 항균력 및 살균소독력
- Lee, Jin-Young (Department of Public Health Graduate School Keimyung University) ;
- Min, Kyung-Jin (Department of Public Health Graduate School Keimyung University)
- Received : 2001.03.10
- Accepted : 2011.04.18
- Published : 2011.04.30
Antimicrobial activity and bactericidal activity of Caesalpinia sappan L. extracts were investigated against five food-borne pathogens, E. coli, S. aureus, S. typhimurium, B. cereus and L. monocytogenes. Methanol extract of Caesalpinia sappan L. revealed antimicrobial activities against five pathogens. In particular, by paper disc diffusion the highest activity was shown against L. monocytogenes. Antimicrobial activities of methanol extracts showed the most potent activities, but hexane fraction had no activity. Fractions of ethyl acetate and butanol turned out to have higher antimicrobial activities against Gram(+) bacteria than Gram(-) bacteria. The minimum inhibitory concentration against five food-borne pathogens was 1.563 mg/ml on Gram(+) bacteria and 3.125 mg/ml on Gram(-) bacteria. The result of antimicrobial activity in a shaking flask method showed that bacterial growth rate fell by more than 99.999% at 3.125 mg/ml of methanol extract. The highest rate of viable reduction (99.998%) was shown at 0.781 mg/ml of methanol extract against L. monocytogenes. After five minutes of reaction between test strains and methanol extracts, the growth rates of five kinds of bacteria were reduced by more than 99.999% at a concentration of 100 mg/ml. Therefore, it is suggested that methanol extracts of Caesalpinia sappan L. can be developed as a natural sanitizer or disinfectant.
- Mok CK, Lee NH. Distribution of utraviolet intensity and uv leaking of commercial uv sterilizers used in restaurants. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2008; 40(2): 228-233.
- Park HK, Kim KL, Shin HW, Kye SH, Yoo HC. Evaluation of microbiological hazards of cooking utensils and environment of mass catering establishments. J Food Hyg Safety. 2000; 15(4): 315-323.
- Bae HJ. Analysis of contamination of bacteria from raw materials, utensils and workers' hands to prepared foods in foodservice operations. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2006; 35(5): 655-660. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2006.35.5.655
- Park HK, Park BK, Shin HW, Park DW, Kim YS, Cho YH, Lee KH, Kang KJ, Jeon DH, Park KH, Ha SD. Evaluation of Effectiveness of Sanitizers and Disinfectants used in domestic food processing plants. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2005; 37(6): 1042-1047.
- Park JY, Kim JS, Kim JG. A study on the hand washing awareness and practices of food-service employees and the load of index microorganism on the hands. J Environ Health Sci. 2010; 36(2); 95-107.
- Lee YS, Ha JH, Lee SH, Kim YS, Kim HI, Choi HC, Jeon DH, Lee YJ, Ha SD. Evaluation of effect of sanitizers and disinfectants against microorganisms on surfaces of food utensils of institution food service. J BET Research Institute. 2007; 3(1): 55-68.
- Kang KJ. Korean disinfectants/sanitizers for food safety. Food Science and Industry. 2005; 38(3): 99-106.
- Kim HI, Lee KH, Kwak IS, Eom MO, Jeon DH, Sung JH, Choi JM, Kang HS, Kim YS, Kang KJ. The establishing test method of bactericidal activity and the evaluating of Korean disinfectants/sanitizers efficacy. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2005; 37(5): 838-843.
- KFDA. Korean Food Code. Korean Food andDrug Administration, Seoul, Korea; 2008.
- Oh DH, Ham SS, Park BK, Ahn C, Yu JY. Antimicrobial activities of natural medicinal herbs on the food spoilage or foodborne disease microorganisms. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 1998; 30(4): 957-963.
- Son DH, Lee SI, Chung YG. Antioxidative of medicinal plants on pathogenic bacteria. J Korean Soc Hygienic Sciences. 2001; 7(2): 103-108.
- Xu W, Qu W, Kunlun H, Feng G, Yang J, Zhao H, Luo YB. Antibacterial effect of grapefruit seed extract on food-borne pathogens and its application in the preservation of minimally processed vegetables. Postharvest Biol. Technol. 2007; 45: 126-133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2006.11.019
- Kwon HJ, Kim YH, Nam KW, Kim SK, Bang IS, Han MD. Antibacterial activities of Caesalpinia sappan L. extract and structural analysis of its related brazilin. Kor. J. Microbiol Biotechnol. 2010; 38(1): 105-111.
- Xie YW, Ming DS, Xu HX, Dong H, But PP. Vasorelaxing effects of Caesalpinia sappan involvement of endogenous nitric oxide. Life Science. 2000; 67: 1913-1918. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(00)00772-4
- Choi SY, Yang KM, Jeon SD, Kim JH, Khil LY, Chang TS, Moon CK. Brazilin modulates immune function mainly by augmenting T cell activity in halothane administered mice. Planta Med. 1997; 63: 456-458.
- Jeong IY, Jin CH, Park YD, Lee HJ, Choi DS, Byun MW, Kim YJ. Anti-inflammatory activity of an ethanol extract of Caesalpinia sappan L. in LPS-induced RAW 264.7 cells. J Food Sci Nutr. 2008; 13: 253-258. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2008.13.4.253
- Woldemichael GM, Singh MP, Maiese WM, Timmermann BN. Constituents of antibacterial extract of Caesalpinia paraguariensis burk. Z. Naturforsch. 2003; 58: 70-75.
- Lim MY, Jeon JH, Jeong EY, Lee CH, Lee HS. Antimicrobial activity of 5-hydroxy-1,4-naphthoquinone isolated from Caesalpinia sappan toward intestinal bacteria. Food Chem. 2007; 100: 1254-1258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.12.009
- Lee JS, Kim JH, Kim YG. Anticancer effects of Caesalpinia sappan extracts on oral carcinoma and osteosarcoma cells. J. Kor. Oral and Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 33(6): 583-590.
- Kang HM. HPLC analysis of anti-influenza viral components of the methanol extract of Caesalpinia sappan L. Bull. Nat. Sci., Yongin University. 1999; 4(1): 179-195.
- Chiang LC, Chiang W, Lui MC, Lin CC. In vitro antiviral activities of Caesalpinia pulcherrima and its related flavonoids. J Antimicrob. Chemother. 2003; 52: 194-198. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkg291
- Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Korean National Institute of Health. Standard methods for antimicrobial susceptibility testing. Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Korean National Institute of Health, Seoul, Korea; 2008.
- Ministry of Knowledge Economy, Korean Agency for Technology and Standards Testing methods for antibacterial activity of antibacterial functional products part1 Shake flask method. Ministry of Knowledge Economy, Korean Agency for Technology and Standards, Seoul, Korea; 2008.
- KFDA. Food additive code. Test method of bactericidal Activity. Korea Food & Drug Administration. Seoul, Korea; 2008.
- Shan B, Cai YZ, Brooks JD, Corke H. The in vitro antibacterial activity of dietary spice and medicinal herb extracts. Int. J Food Microbiol. 2007; 117: 112-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2007.03.003
- Smith-Palmer A, Stewart J, Fyfe L. Antimicrobial properties of plant essential oils and essences against five important food-borne pathogens. Letters in Applied Microbiology. 1998; 26: 118-122. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1472-765X.1998.00303.x
- Shin DH, Kim MS, Han JS. Antimicrobial effects of ethanol extracts from some medicinal herbs and their fractionates against food-born bacteria. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 1997; 29(4): 808-816.
- Choi I, Chang HS, Yun YM, Um JC. Antimicrobial Activity of Medicinal Herbs against Staphylococcus aureus and salmonella gallinarum. Kor. J. of Microbiol. Biotechnol. 2002; 30(2): 177-183.
- Cho JY, Choi I, Hwang EK. Antimicrobial activity of extracts from medicinal herbs against Escherichia coli. Korea J Vet Res. 2003; 43(4): 625-631.
- Kim HI, Jeon DH, Kang KJ, Eom MO, Sung JH, Kang HS, Kwak HS, Kwon KS, Lee YJ. Comparative Susceptibility of Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli Strains Isolated from Korean Foods to Commercially Available Sanitizers/Disinfectants. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2007; 39(1): 104-107.
- Lee KU, Ju YR, Park MS, Oh KS, Kang YS, Lee KJ, Lee YJ. Evaluation of the antimicrobial activity of disinfectants using in Korea. The Report of National Institute of Health. 1994; 31(1): 60-71.
- Kang HS. Potnecy of some disinfectants on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. Seoul, Korea University; 2006.