- Volume 11 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of External Environment of Franchisor on Corporate Performance -Focused on Entrepreneurship, Market Orientation and Organizational Structure-
프랜차이즈 본사의 외부환경이 경영성과에 미치는 영향 -앙트러프러너십, 시장지향성, 및 조직구조의 매개변수를 중심으로-
- Received : 2010.07.22
- Accepted : 2011.02.21
- Published : 2011.03.28
Few previous researches have been studied in terms of franchisees' perceptions of franchisors' entrepreneurial activities within the boundary of restaurant franchising industry settings. The sampling frame for this study included 605 restaurant franchisees in the business-format franchising system in Korea and data were collected from 1 October 2009 to 28 February 2010. This study, from franchisees' views, investigated the relationship among franchisors' entrepreneurship, external environment, organizational structure(mechanistic-organic) and managerial performance, with structural equation modeling(SEM). The research findings were, firstly, external environment positively affected entrepreneurship which positively affected market orientation and managerial performance, and secondly, market orientation made franchisors select organic structure and heighten managerial performance. Also, external environment led franchisors to adopt organic structure and aggravated their managerial performance. The implications of these findings were as follows. Firstly, the more franchiors had initiatives, innovatedness and risk-taking attitudes, the higher they had managerial performances and market orientation. Secondly, franchisors should keep and heighten market share with keeping in mind with customer orientation, competition orientation, harmony between departments, long-term orientation and profitability. Thirdly, continuous and cautious environmental scanning was necessary because external restaurant environment made organizational structure being changed and managerial performance being aggravated.
External Environment;Market Orientation;Entrepreneurship;Mechanistic-organic Organization;Managerial Performance;Franchise System
- R. T. Justis and R. Judd, Franchising, South-Western Publishing, 1989.
- M. A. Khan, Restaurant Franchising, John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
- International Franchise Association Educational Foundation, The Profile of Franchising, 2000.
- S. A. Shane and F. Hoy, "Franchising: A Gateway to Cooperative Entrepreneurship", Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.11, No.5, pp.325-327, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(96)00059-6
- P. J. Kaufmann and R. P. Dant, "Franchising and the Domain of Entrepreneurship Research", Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.14, No.1, pp.5-16, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(97)00095-5
- M. D. Olsen and A. Roper, "Research in Strategic Management in the Hospitality Industry", International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol.17, No.2, pp.111-124, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-4319(98)00012-7
- G. T. Lumpkin and G. G. Dess, "Linking Two Dimensions of Entrepreneurial Orientation to Firm Performance: The Moderating Role of Environment and Industry Life Cycle", Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.16, No.5, pp.429-451, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-9026(00)00048-3
- J. L. Bradach, Franchise Organizations, President and Fellows of Harvard College, 1998.
- A. Morrison, Entrepreneurs or Intrepreneurs? In C. Lashley and A. Morrison(Eds.), Franchising Hospitality Services, pp.68-91, 2000.
- S. Tikoo, "Franchiser Influence Strategy Use and Franchisee Experience and Dependence", Journal of Retailing, Vol.78, No.3, pp.183-192, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(02)00064-7
- J. L. Naman and D. P. Slevin, "Entrepreneurship and the Concept of Fit: A Model and Empirical Tests", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.14, No.2, pp.137-153, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250140205
- R. G. Duncan, "Characteristics of Organizational Environments and Perceived Environmental Uncertainty", Adminstrative Science Quarterly, Vol.17, No.3, pp.313-327, 1972. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392145
- D. P. Slevin and J. G. Covin, Entrepreneurship as Firm Behavior: A Research Model. In J. A. Katz and R. H. Brockhaus, Sr.(Eds.), Advances in Entrepreneurship, Firm Emergence, and Growth Vol.2, pp.175-224, 1995.
- J. G. Combs and D. J. Ketchen, Jr., "Why Do Firms Use Franchising as an Entrepreneurial Strategy? A Meta-Analysis", Journal of Management, Vol.29, No.3, pp.443-465, 2003.
- D. Miller and P. H. Friesen, "Innovation in Conservative and Entrepreneurial Firms: Two Models of Strategic Momentum", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.3, No.1, pp.1-25, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250030102
- P. N. Khandwalla, "Some Top Management Styles, Their Context and Performance", Organization and Administrative Science, Vol.7, No.4, pp.21-25, 1976.
- J. G. Covin and D. P. Slevin, The Influence of Organization Structure on the Utility of an Entrepreneurial Top Management Style", Journal of Management Studies, Vol.25, No.3 pp.217-234, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1988.tb00033.x
- S. A. Zahra and J. G. Covin, "Contextual Influences on the Corporate Entrepreneurship-Performance Relationship: A Longitudinal Analysis", Journal of Business Venturing Vol.10, No.1, pp.43-58, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(94)00004-E
- D. Miller, "The Correlates of Entrepreneurship in Three Types of Firms", Management Science, Vol.29, No.7, pp.770-791, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.29.7.770
- J. G. Covin and D. P. Slevin, "Strategic Management of Small Firms in Hostile and Benign Environments", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.10, No.1, pp.75-87, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250100107
- L. J. Bourgeois III, "Performance anc Consensus", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.1, No.3, pp.227-248, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250010304
- J. G. Covin, J. E. Prescott, and D. P. Slevin, "The Effects of Technological Sophistication or the Strategic Profiles, Structure, and Performance of Firms", Journal of Managemen Studies, Vol.27, No.5, pp.485-510, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1990.tb00258.x
- A. V. Bruno and T. T. Tyebjee, "The Environment for Entrepreneurship. In C. A. Kent, D. L. Sexton and K. H. Vesper(Eds.), Encyclopedia of Entrepreneurship, pp.288-307, 1982.
- C. A. Kent, The Encyclopedia for Entrepreneurship, D. C. Heath, 1984.
- E. C. Tse and M. D. Olsen, "The Impact of Strategy and Structure on the Organizational Performance of the Restaurant Firms", Hospitality Education and Research Journal, Vol.12, No.2, pp.57-72, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1177/109634808801200105
- B. Dumaine, "The Bureaucracy Busters", Fortune, Vol.123, No.13, pp.35-50, 1991, June 17.
- H. Mintzberg, The Structure of Organization, Prentice-Hall, 1979.
- J. K. Han, N. W. Kim and R. K. Srivastava, "Market Orientation and Organizational Performance: Is Innovation a Missing Link?" Journal of Marketing, Vol.62, No.4, pp.30-45, 1998. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252285
- A. K. Kohli, B. Jaworski, and A. Kumar, "MARKOR: A Measure of Market Orientation", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.30, No.4, pp.467-477, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/3172691
- B. J. Jaworski and A. K. Kohli, "Market Orientation: Antecedents and Consequences", Journal of Marketing, Vol.57, No.3, pp.53-70, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251854
- J. C. Narver and S. F. Slater, "The Effects of Market Orientation on Business Profitability", Journal of Marketing, Vol.54, No.4, pp.20-35, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251757
- M. Popper and R. Lipshits, "Organizational Learning: Mechanisms, Cultures, and Feasibility", Management Learning, Vol.31, No.2, pp.181-196, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/1350507600312003
- B. B. Schlegelmilch and S. Ram, "The Effect of Organization and Environmental Variables on Strategic Market Orientation: An Empirical Investigation", Journal of Global Marketing, Vol.13, No.3, pp.111-127, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1300/J042v13n03_06
- R. F. Lusch and G. R. Laczniak, "The Evolving Marketing Concept, Competitive Intensity and Organzational Performance", Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.15, No.3, pp.1-11, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02722166
- S. F. Slater and J. C. Narver, "Market Orientation and the Learning Organization", Journal of Marketing, Vol.59, No.3, pp.63-74, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252120
- G. T. Hult and D. J. Ketchen Jr., "Does Market Orientation Matter? A Test of the Relationship Between Positional Advantage and Performance", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.22, No.9, pp.899-906, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.197
- A. K. Kohli and B. J. Jaworski, "Market Orientation: The Construct, Research Propositions, and Management Implications", Journal of Marketing, Vol.54, No.2, pp.1-18, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251866
- J. Weerawardena, "Exploring the Role of Market Learning Capability in Competitive Strategy", European Journal of Marketing, Vol.37, No.3/4, pp.407-429, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1108/03090560310459023
- P. N. Khandwalla, The Design of Organizations, Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1977.
- R. M. Kanter, The Change Master, Simon & Schuster, 1983.
- D. Miller, Generic Strategies: Classification, Combination and Context, In P. Shrivastava, A. Huff and J. Dutton(Eds.), Advances in Strategic Management, pp.391-408, 1992.
- J. G. Covin and D. P. Slevin, "A Conceptual Model of Entrepreneurship as Firm Behavior", Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, Vol.16, No.1, pp.7-24, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/104225879101600102
- G. Pinchot, Intrapreneuring, Harper & Row, 1985.
- S. Thornhill and R. Amit, "A Dynamic Perspective of Internal Fit in Corporate Venturing", Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.16, No.1, pp.25-50, 2000.
- C. Barlett, "Leading People as Volunteer Investors", Executive Excellence, Vol.18, No.3, p.16, 2001.
- A. D. Chandler, Strateg and Structure, MIT Press, 1962.
- R. Whittington, A. Pettigrew, and W. Ruigrok, New Notions of Organizational Fit, In T. Dickson(Ed.), Mastering Strategy, pp.151-157, 2000.
- G. G. Dess and R. B. Robinson Jr., "Measuring Organizational Performance in the Absence of Objective Measures: The Case of the Privately-Held Firm and Conglomerate Business Unit", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.5, No.3, pp.265-273, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250050306
- H. Schollhammer, "Internal Corporate Entrepreneurship, In C. A. Kent, D. L. Sexton and K. H. Vesper(Eds.), Encylopedia of Entrepreneurship, pp.209-223, 1982.
- G. G. Dess, G. T. Lumpkin, and J. G. Covin, "Entrepreneurial Strategy Making and Firm Performance: Tests of Contingency and Configurational Models", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.18, No.9, pp.677-695, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199710)18:9<677::AID-SMJ905>3.0.CO;2-Q
- A. Morrison, "Entrepreneurship, Intrepreneurship and Franchising, In C. Lashley and A. Morrison(Eds.), Franchising Hospitality Services, pp.69-71, 2000.
- A. Morrison and A. Macmilan, Financial Fundamentals. In C. Lashley and A. Morrison(Eds.), Franchising Hospitality Services, pp.114-144, 2000.
- S. L. Hart, "An Integrative Framework for Strategy-Making Processes", Academy of Management Review, Vol.17, No.2, pp.327-351, 1992.
- H. Mintzberg, "Organization Design: Fashion or Fit?" Harvard Business Review, pp.103-116, 1981(1).
- J. G. Covin, D. P. Slevin and M. B. Heeley, "Strategic Decision Making in an Intuitive vs. Technocratic Mode: Structural and Enviromental Considerations", Journal of Business Research, Vol.52, No.1, pp.51-67, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00080-6
- M. D. Olsen, E. C. Tse and J. J. West, Strategic Management in the Hospitality Industry, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1998.
- K. Matsuno, J. T. Mentzer and A. Ozsomer, "The Effects of Entrepreneurial Proclivity and Market Orientation on Business Performance", Journal of Marketing, Vol.66, No.3, pp.18-32, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.220.127.116.1107
- S. F. Slater and J. C. Narver, "Does Competitive Emvironment Moderate the Market Orientation Performance Relationship?", Vol.58, No.January, pp.46-55, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252250
- 이은용, "환경불확실성과 시장지향성이 신상품 개발, 관계의 질 및 장기 지향성에 미치는 영향-국내 외식 프랜차이즈 기업을 대상으로-", 관광연구, Vol.25, No.2, pp.21-42, 2010.
- 이은용, 이수범, "외식 프랜차이즈 기업의 시장 지향적 지식과 브랜드 지향성이 신상품 개발, 차별성, 신뢰 및 경영성과에 미치는 영향", 호텔경영학연구, Vol.18, No.2, pp.109-129, 2009.
- K. H. Tsai, C. Chou, and J. H. Kuo, "The Curvilineal Relationships between Responsive and Proactive Market Orientations and New Product Performance: A Contingent Link", Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.37, No.8, pp.884-894, 2007.
- 이형택, 채명수, "기업가정신, IT능력, 시장지향성, 기업성과의 관계", 국제통상연구, Vol.12, No.3, pp.205-229, 2007.
- 이서구, 김종근, "전략적 지향성이 기업성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 기업경영연구, Vol.16, No.1, pp.223-236, 2009.
- H. K. Sul and M. A. Khan, "restaurant Franchisees' View of the Relationships Among the Determinants of Franchisors' Entrepreneurial Strategy Processes", Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, Vol.30, No.4, pp.427-451, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/1096348006290113
- J. F. Hair, R. E. Anderson, R. L. Tatham and W. C. Black, Multivariate Data Anallysis, Prentice-Hall, 1998.
- R. S. Achroll and L. W. Stern, "Environmental Determinants of Decision-Making Uncertainty in Marketing Channels", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.25, No.February, pp.36-50, 1989.
- The Effects of Business Startup Attributes on Customer Orientation and Business Startup Performance in the Foodservice Industry vol.13, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.06.481
- The Effects of Business Startup Attributes on the Overconfidence of Business Startup and Entrepreneur's Attitude in Foodservice Industry vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.03.414