- Volume 11 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Volume and Product Flexibilities on Hospital's Performance
수량 및 제품유연성이 의료조직의 성과에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2011.02.11
- Accepted : 2011.03.03
- Published : 2011.03.28
Previous research on the management of health care organization has heavily focused on health care quality and operational efficiency, whereas this research deals with flexibility, an important strategic priority in the field of operations management. Particularly, this research analyzes the effects that internal and external resources of volume and product flexibilities have on the organization's financial performance. Survey data from various types of sampled domestic hospitals have been collected using the developed questionnaire and analyzed with a regression model. The results show that volume flexibility based on internal resources has not only main effects but also interaction effects with internal and external resources of product flexibility. However, volume flexibility based on external resources is not shown to have any effect on performance. The explanation and managerial implications from the results are discussed.
Volume Flexibility;Product Flexibility;Flexibility Resources;Performance
Supported by : 숙명여자대학교
- 강성욱, 고정민, "Issue Paper: 의료서비스산업 고도화와 과제", 삼성경제연구소, 2007.
- 정봉수, "의료서비스산업 현황 및 환경변화", KIS, Credit Monitor, 2009.
- J. Heineke, "Strategic Operations Management Decisions and Professional Performance in U.S. HMOs", Journal of Operations Management, Vol.13, pp.255-272, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0272-6963(95)00035-6
- E. P. Jack and T. L. Powers, "Volume Flexible Strategies in Health Services: A Research Framework", Production and Operations Management, Vol.13, No.3, pp.230-244, 2004.
- S. C. Wheelwright, "Manufacturing Strategy: Defining the Missing Link", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.5, pp.77-91, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250050106
- A. K. Sethi and S. P. Sethi, "Flexibility in Manufacturing: a Survey", International Journal of Flexible Manufacturing Systems, Vol.2, No.4, pp.289-328, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00186471
- D. M. Upton, "The Management of Manufacturing Flexibility", California Management Review, Vol.36, No.2, pp.72-89, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165745
- D. Gerwin, "Manufacturing Flexibility: a Strategic Perspective", Management Science, Vol.39, No.4, pp.395-410, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.39.4.395
- Y. P. Gupta and S. Goyal, "Flexibility of Manufacturing Systems: Concepts and Measurements", European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.43, pp.119-135, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(89)90206-3
- E. P. Jack and A. Raturi, "Sources of Volume Flexibility and Their Impact on Performance", Journal of Operations Management, Vol.20, pp.519-548, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(01)00079-1
- N. Slack, "The Flexibility of Manufacturing Systems", International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol.7, No.4, pp.35-45, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb054798
- F. F. Suarez, M. A. Cusumano, and C. H. Fine, "An Empirical Study of Flexibility in Manufacturing", Sloan Management Review, Vol.37, No.1, pp.25-32, 1995.
- Q. Zhang, M. A. Vondrembse, and J. S. Lim, "Manufacturing Flexibility: Defining and Analyzing Relationships Among Competence, Capability, and Customer Satisfaction", Journal of Operations Management, Vol.21, No.2, pp.173-191, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(02)00067-0
- B. Wernerfelt, "The Resource-Based View of the Firm", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.15, No.2, pp.171-180, 1984.
- J. B. Barney, "Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage", Journal of Management, Vol.17, No.1, pp.99-120, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
- K. R. Conner, "A Historical Comparison of Resource-Based View and Five Schools of Thought within Industrial Organization Economics: Do We Have a New Theory of the Firm?", Journal of Management, Vol.17, No.1, pp.121-154, 1991.
- R. Makadok, "Toward a Synthesis of the Resource-Based View and Dynamic-Capability Views of Rent Creation", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.22, No.5, pp.387-401, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.158
- R. Amit and P. J. H. Schoemaker, "Strategic assets and Organization Rent", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.14, No.1, pp.33-46, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250140105
- N. Slack, "Flexibility as a Manufacturing Objective", International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Vol.3, No.3, pp.4-13, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb054696
- E. P. Jack and T. L. Powers, "Managerial Perceptions on Volume Flexible Strategies and Performance in Health Care Service", Management Research News, Vol.29, No.5, pp.228-241, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1108/01409170610674374
- S. Vickery, R. Calantone, and C. Droge, "Supply Chain Flexibility: an Empirical Study", The Journal of Supply Chain Management, Vol.35, No.3, pp.16-24, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-493X.1999.tb00058.x
- J. Olhager, "Manufacturing Flexibility and Profitability", International Journal of Production Economics, Vol.30/31, pp.67-78, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0925-5273(93)90082-V
- R. M. Grant, "The Resource-Based Theory of Competitive Advantage: Implications for Strategy Formulation", California Management Review, Vol.33, No.3, pp.114-135, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166664
- Y. P. Gupta and T. M. Somers, "Business Strategy, Manufacturing Flexibility, and Organizational Performance Relationships: a Path Analysis Approach", Production and Operations Management, Vol.5, No.3, pp.204-233, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1937-5956.1996.tb00395.x
- R. J. Vokurka and S. W. O'Leary-Kelly, "A Review of Empirical Research on Manufacturing Flexibility", Journal of Operations Management, Vol.18, No.4, pp.485-501, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(00)00031-0
- T. L. Powers and E. P. Jack, "Using Volume Flexible Strategies to Improve Customer Satisfaction and Performance in Health Care Services", Journal of Services Marketing, Vol.22, No.3, pp.188-197, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1108/08876040810871156
- A. Gnanlet and W. G. Gilland, "Sequential and Simultaneous Decision Making for Optimizing Health Care Resource Flexibilities", Decision Science, Vol.40, No.2, pp.295-326, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.2009.00231.x
- L. Li, W. C. Benton, and G. Keong Leong, "The Impact of Strategic Operations Management Decisions on Community Hospital Performance", Journal of Operations Management, Vol.20, No.4, pp.389-408, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(02)00002-5
- L. Li and W. C. Benton, "Hospital Technology and Nurse Staffing Management Decisions", Journal of Operations Management, Vol.24, No.5, pp.676-691, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2005.06.001
- R. Lyons, "Cross-training: A Richer Staff for Leaner Budgets", Nursing Management, Vol.23, No.1, pp.43-44, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006247-199201000-00017
- S. P. Siferd and W. C. Benton, "Workforce Staffing and Scheduling: Hospital Nursing and Specific Models", European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.60, No.3, pp.233-246, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(92)90075-K
- P. M. Ball, C. Weaver, and P. A. Abbott, "Enabling Technologies Promise to Revitalize the Role of Nursing in an Era of Patient Safety", International Journal of Medical Informatics, Vol.69, pp.29-38, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1386-5056(02)00063-1
- D. C. Coddington and K. D. Moore, Market-Driven Strategies in Health Care, Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA, 1987.
- M. Edlin, "For the Modern IDS, Less is Often More", Managed Healthcare Executive, Vol.11, No.3, pp.26-30, 2001.
- D. Nath and D. Sudharshan, "Measuring Strategy Coherence Through Patterns of Strategic Choices", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.15, No.1, pp.43-51, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250150104
- L. Burns, M. Morrisey, J. Alexander, and V. Johnson, "Managed Care and Processes to Integrate Physicians/Hospitals", Health Care Management Review, Vol.23, No.4, pp.70-80, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004010-199810000-00006
- S. Gallivan, "Booked Inpatient Admissions and Hospital Capacity: Mathematical Modeling Study", British Medical Journal, Vol.324, No.7332, pp.280-293, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.324.7332.280
- K. Klassen and T. Rohleder, "Combining Operations and Marketing to Manage Capacity and Demand in Service", The Service Industries Journal, Vol.21, No.2, pp.1-30, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1080/714005019
- P. Ward, K. Leong, and K. Boyer, "Manufacturing Proactiveness and Performance", Decision Science, Vol.25, No.3, pp.337-358, 1996.
- G. D. Dess and R. B. Robinson, "Measuring Organizational Performance in the Absence of Objective Measures: the Case of the Privately-held Firm and Conglomerate Business Unit", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.5, No.3, pp.265-273. 1984. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250050306
- N. Venkatraman and V. Ramnugam, "Measurement of Business Economic Performance: an Examination of Method Convergence, Journal of Management, Vol.13, No.1, pp.109-122, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920638701300109
- LG 경제연구소, "의료서비스 산업의 환경변화와 향후 전망", 2005.
- J. C. Nunnally, Psychometric Theory, McGraw-Hill; New York, 1978.
- C. B. Schoonhoove, "Problems in Contingency Theory: Testing Assumptions Hidden Within the Language of Contingency Theory", Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.26, No.3, pp.349-377, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/2392512
- K. G. Joreskog, D. Sorbom, S. du Toit, and M. du Toit, LISREL8: New Statistical Features, Chicago: Scientific Software International Inc., 1999.