- Volume 11 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Haptic Technology for Educational Contents for Children with Disabilities
햅틱 테크놀로지를 활용한 장애 아동 교육 콘텐츠 연구
- Received : 2010.10.20
- Accepted : 2011.02.15
- Published : 2011.03.28
The haptic sense is one of the five human senses that deeply affects cognitive development and everyday lives of children and adults. Recently, researchers and developers have started active discussions and research on haptic technologies. The purpose of this paper is to explain the role of haptics in learning, review studies that have attempted to use haptic technologies to teach students, and discuss how these technologies can be applied in special education context. National and international databases were searched and analyzed using meta-analysis methods. The few studies that have been completed so far are heavily focused on math and science learning. However, haptic technology has great potentials for children with disabilities who can benefit from extra assistance from these devices in wide areas of curriculum including math, science, music, art, history, and so on.
Haptics;Virtual Reality;Special Education Technology;Disability;Touch;Kinesthetic;Feeling
- M. Taylor, S. Lederman, and R. Gibson, Tactual Perception of Texture, Handbook of Perception, Vol III: Biology of Perceptual Systems, Academic, 1973.
- V. Hayward, O. R. Astley, M. Cruz-Hernandez, D. Grant, G. Robles-De-La-Torre, G. "Haptic Interfaces and Devices", Sensor Review. Vol.24, No.1, pp.16-29. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1108/02602280410515770
- J. Piaget, B. Inhelder, A Child's Conception of Space, Norton, 1967.
- H. Gardner, Intelligences Reframed: Multiple Intelligences for the 21st Century, Basic, 2000.
- D. Haury and P. Rillero, Perspectives of Hands-on Science Teaching, ERIC Clearninghouse for Science, Mathetmatics, and Environmental Education, 1994.
- D. Kolb, Experiential learning: Experience as the Source of Learning and Development, Prentice Hall, 1984.
- T. Bredderman, "Effects of Activity-Based Elementary Science on Student Outcomes: A Quantitative Synthesis," Review of Educational Research, Vol.53, No.4, pp.499-518, 1983. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543053004499
- P. M. Stohr-Hunt, "An Analysis of Frequency of Hands-on Experience and Science Achievement," Journal of Research in Science Teaching, Vol.33, No.1, pp.101-109, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199601)33:1<101::AID-TEA6>3.0.CO;2-Z
- O. M. Amaral, L. Garrison, and M. Klentschy, "English Learners Increase Achievement Through Inquiry-Based Science Instruction," Bilingual Research Journal, Vol.26, No.2, pp.213-239. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1080/15235882.2002.10668709
- J. Minogue and M. G. Jones, "Haptics in Education: Exploring an Untapped Sensory Modality," Review of Educational Research, Vol.76, No.3, pp.317-34, 2006. https://doi.org/10.3102/00346543076003317
- M. Srinivasan and C. Basdogan, "Haptics in Virtual Environments: Taxonomy, Research Status, and Challenges," Computers & Graphics, Vol.21, No.4, pp.393-404, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0097-8493(97)00030-7
- T. Massie and J. Salisbury, The PHANTOM Haptic Interface: A Device for Probing Virtual Objects, ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems, 1994.
- J. K. Salisbury and M. A. Srinivasan, "Phantom-Based Haptic Interaction with Virtual Objects," IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol.17, No.5, pp.6-10, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCG.1997.1626171
- T. Massie, Initial Haptic Explorations with the Phantom: Virtual Touch Through Point Interaction. Massachusetts Intitute of Technology, 1996.
- C. Shahabi, L. Kaghazian, S. Mehta, A. Ghoting, G. Shanbhag, and M. McLaughlin, Analysis of Haptic Data for Sign Language Recognition, First International Conference on Universal Access in Human-Computer Interaction (UAHCI), 2001.
- H. Tan, R. Gray, J. Young, and R. Traylor, "A Haptic Back Display for Attentional and Directional Cueing," Haptics-e, Vol.3, No.1, pp.1-20, 2003.
- S. Nanayakkara, E. Taylor, L. Wyse, and S. H. Ong, An Enhanced Musical Experience for the Deaf: Design and Evaluation of a Music Display and a Haptic Chair, Human Factors in Computing Systems, 2009.
- G. Jones, A. Bokinski, T. Tretter, A. Negishi, D. Kubasko, R. Superfine, and R. M. Taylor, Atomic Force Microscopy with Touch: Educational Applications, Science, Technology and Education of Microscopy: An Overview, Formatex, 2003.
- E. N. Wiebe, J. Minogue, M. G. Jones, J. Cowley, and D. Krebs, "Haptic Feedback and Students' Learning about Levers: Unraveling the Effect of Simulated Touch," Computers & Education, Vol.53, pp.667-676, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2009.04.004
- R. Williams II, M. Chen, J. Seaton, J. "Haptics-Augmented Simple Machines Educational Tutorials," Journal of Science Education and Technology, Vol.12, No.1, pp.16-27, 2003.
- E. Wies, J. Gardner, S. Modhrain, C. Hasser, and V. Bulatov, "Web-based Touch Display for Accessible Science Education," LNCS, Vol.2058, pp.52-60, 2001.
- M. R. McGee, P. D. Gray, and S. A. Brewster, Haptic Perception of Virtual Roughness, Human Factors in Computing Systems, 2001.
- Yu, W. and Ramloll, R. Brewster, S. A. Haptic graphs for Blind Computer Users. LNCS, Vol.2058, pp.41-51, 2001.
- F. L. Van Scoy, T. Kawai, M. Darrah, and C. Rash, "Haptic Display of Mathematical Functions for Teaching Mathematics to Students with Vision Disabilities: Design and Proof of Concept," LNCS, Vol.2058, pp.31-38, 2001.
- F. Van Scoy, D. McLaughlin, J. Odom, R. Walls, and M. Zeppuhar, "Touching Mathematics: a Prototype Tool for Teaching Pre-Calculus to Visually Impaired Students," Journal of Modern Optics, Vol.53, No.9, pp.1287-1294, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500340600618652
- R. Palluel-Germain, F. Bara, A. Hillairet de Boisferon, B. Hennion, P. Gouagout, and E. Gentaz, "A Visuo-Haptic Device - Telemaque - Increases the Kindergarten Children's Handwriting Acquisition," IEEE WorldHaptics, pp.72-77, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/WHC.2007.13
- S. J. Biggs and M. A. Srinivasan, Haptic Interfaces, Handbook of Virtual Environments, Lawrence Erlbaum, 2002.
- R. Raisamo, S. Patomaki, M. Hasu, and V. Pasto, "Design and Evaluation of a Tactile Memory Game for Visually Impaired Children," Interacting with Computers, Vol.19, No.2, pp.196-205, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intcom.2006.08.011
- A. Hardwick, J. Rush, S. Furner, and J. Seton, Feeling It as Well as Seeing It - Haptic Display within Gestural HCI for Multimedia Telematics Services, Gesture Workshop, 1996.
- H. Chen, H. Sun, Real-time Haptic Sculpting in Virtual Volume Space, Virtual Reality Software and Technology, 2002.
- M. Butler, P. Neave, Object Apperication Through Haptic Interaction, Proceedings Ascilite Melbourne, 2008.
- A. Okrainec, M. Farcas, O. Henao, I. Choy, J. Green, M. Fotoohi, R. Leslie, D. Wight, P. Karam, N. Gonzalez, and J. Apkarian, "Development of a Virtual Reality Haptic Veress Needle Insertion Simulator for Surgical Skills Training," Studies In Health Technology And Informatics, Vol.142, pp.233-238, 2009.
- P. Ramsamy, A. Haffegee, and V. Alexandrov, Generic Control Interface for Networked Haptic Virtual Environments, Computational Science, 2007.
- M. L. McLaughlin, N. Ellison, J. Lucas, S. G. Goldberg, The Interactive Electronic Exhibition: Restructuring the Boundaries Between Museums and Their Constituencies, International Communication Association, 1997.
- N. Magnenat-Thalmann, P. Volino, I. Bonanni, M. Summers, M. Bergamasco, F. Salsedo, and F. Wolter, "From Physics-Based Simulation to the Touching of Textiles: The HAPTEX Project," The International Journal of Virtual Reality, Vol.6, No.3, pp.35-44, 2007.
- W. Verplank, Haptic Music Exercises, New Interfaces for Musical Expression, 2005.
- I. O. Lundqvist, G. Adersson, and J. Viding, "Effects of Vibroacoustic Music on Challenging Behaviors in Individuals with Autism and Developmental Disabilities," Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, Vol.3, No.2, pp.390-440, 2008.
- T. Liukkonen, "Human reaction times as a response to delays in control systems: Notes in vehicular context," Retrieved from ttp://www.measurepolis.fi/alma/ALMA%20Human%20Reaction%20Times%20as%20a%20Response%20to%20Delavs%20in%20Control%20Systems.pdf, 2009.
- T. Mehigan, Harnessing Accelerometer Technology for Inclusive Mobile Learning, Mobile HCI, 2009.
- R. Singapogu and T. Burg, Haptic Virtual Manipulatives for Enhancing K-12 Special Education, ACM Southeast Regional, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1145/1566445.1566547
- D. Katz, The World of Touch, Erlbawn, 1989.
- 박소현, "햅틱 디바이스를 활용한 문화유산 가상현실 콘텐츠 개발 - 금산사 콘텐츠 중심으로", 한국디자인포험, 제26권, 4호, pp.245-254, 2010.
- 유용희, 조윤혜, 최근석, 성미영, "햅틱 상호작용을 제공하는 가상 전시공간 개발", 정보과학회지, 제13권, 제6호, pp.412-416, 2007.
- 김래현, 박세형, "햅틱 인터페이스를 이용한 가상 조각 시스템", 정보과학회지, 제31권, 제12호, pp.682-691, 2004.