- Volume 37 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Experimental determination of the buckling load of rectangular plates using vibration correlation technique
- Singhatanadgid, Pairod (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University) ;
- Sukajit, Padol (Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Chulalongkorn University)
- Received : 2009.09.23
- Accepted : 2010.10.14
- Published : 2011.02.10
This study investigates the use of a vibration correlation technique (VCT) to identify the buckling load of a rectangular thin plate. It is proposed that the buckling load can be determined experimentally using the natural frequencies of plates under tensile loading. A set of rectangular plates was tested for natural frequencies using an impact test method. Aluminum and stainless steel specimens with CCCC, CCCF and CFCF boundary conditions were included in the experiment. The measured buckling load was determined from the plot of the square of a measured natural frequency versus an in-plane load. The buckling loads from the measured vibration data match the numerical solutions very well. For specimens with well-defined boundary conditions, the average percentage difference between buckling loads from VCT and numerical solutions is -0.18% with a standard deviation of 5.05%. The proposed technique using vibration data in the tensile loading region has proven to be an accurate and reliable method which might be used to identify the buckling load of plates. Unlike other static methods, this correlation approach does not require drawing lines in the pre-buckling and post-buckling regions; thus, bias in data interpretation is avoided.
- Avitabile, P. (2001), "Experimental modal analysis: a simple non-mathematical presentation", J. Sound Vib., 35(1), 20-31.
- Aydogdu, M. and Timarci, T. (2003), "Vibration analysis of cross-ply laminated square plates with general boundary conditions", Compos. Sci. Tech., 63(7), 1061-1070. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(03)00016-2
- Chai, G.B., Banks, W.M. and Rhodes, J. (1991), "An experimental study on laminated panels in compression", Compos. Struct., 19(1), 67-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8223(91)90075-A
- Chailleux, A., Hans, Y. and Verchery, G. (1975), "Experimental study of the buckling of laminated composite columns and plates", Int. J. Mech. Sci., 17, 489-498. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7403(75)90013-2
- Ding, Z. (1996), "Natural frequencies of rectangular plates using a set of static beam functions in Rayleigh-Ritz method", J. Sound Vib., 189(1), 81-87. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1996.0006
- Go, C.G., Lin, Y.S. and Khor, E.H. (1997), "Experimental determination of the buckling load of a straight structural member by using dynamic parameters", J. Sound Vib., 205(3), 257-264. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1995.1047
- Go, C.G. and Liou, C.D. (2000), "Experimental determination of the buckling load of a flat plate by the use of dynamic parameters", Struct. Eng. Mech., 9(5), 483-490. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2000.9.5.483
- Lee, J.M., Chung, J.H. and Chung, T.Y. (1997), "Free vibration analysis of symmetrically laminated composite rectangular plates", J. Sound Vib., 199(1), 71-85. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1996.0653
- Lurie, H. and Monica, S. (1952), "Lateral vibrations as related to structural stability", J. Appl. Mech., 19, 195-204.
- Ni, Q.Q., Xie, J. and Iwamoto, M. (2005), "Buckling analysis of laminated composite plates with arbitrary edge supports", Compos. Struct., 69(2), 209-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2004.06.012
- Rajalingham, C., Bhat, R.B. and Xistris, G.D. (1996), "Vibration of rectangular plates using plate characteristic functions as shape functions in the Rayleigh-Ritz method", J. Sound Vib., 193(2), 497-509. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1996.0298
- Segall, A. and Springer, G.S. (1986), "A dynamic method for measuring the critical loads of elastic flat plates", Exp. Mech., 26(4), 354-359. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02320151
- Singer, J., Arbocz, J. and Weller, T. (1992), Buckling Experiments: Experimental Methods in Buckling of Thinwalled Structures, Vol. 1, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK.
- Singhatanadgid, P. and Sukajit, P. (2008), "Determination of buckling load of rectangular plates using measured vibration data", Proceedings of the International Conference on Experimental Mechanics, Nanjing, China, November.
- Souza, M.A. and Assaid, L.M.B. (1991), "A new technique for the prediction of buckling loads from nondestructive vibration tests", Exp. Mech., 31(2), 93-97. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02327558
- Timarci, T. and Aydogdu, M. (2005), "Buckling of symmetric cross-ply square plates with various boundary conditions", Compos. Struct., 68(4), 381-389. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2004.04.003
- Tuttle, M., Singhatanadgid, P. and Hinds, G. (1999), "Buckling of composite panels subjected to biaxial loading", Exp. Mech., 39(3), 191-201. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02323552
- Wang, G., Wereley, N.M. and Chang, D.C. (2005), "Analysis of bending vibration of rectangular plates using two-dimensional plate modes", J. Aircraft, 42(2), 542-550. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.4303
- A note on buckling and vibration of clamped orthotropic plates under in-plane loads vol.39, pp.1, 2011, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.39.1.115
- Buckling analysis in hybrid cross-ply composite laminates on elastic foundation using the two variable refined plate theory vol.55, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.55.1.047