- Volume 37 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Investigation of water length effects on the modal behavior of a prototype arch dam using operational and analytical modal analyses
- Sevim, Baris (Department of Civil Engineering, Gumushane University) ;
- Bayraktar, Alemdar (Department of Civil Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University) ;
- Altunisik, Ahmet Can (Department of Civil Engineering, Karadeniz Technical University)
- Received : 2009.09.11
- Accepted : 2010.11.17
- Published : 2011.03.25
This study determines the water length effects on the modal behavior of a prototype arch dam using Operational and Analytical Modal Analyses. Achievement of this purpose involves construction of a prototype arch dam-reservoir-foundation model under laboratory conditions. In the model, reservoir length was taken to be as much as three times the dam height. To determine the experimental dynamic characteristics of the arch dam using Operational Modal Analysis, ambient vibration tests were implemented for empty reservoir and three different reservoir water lengths. In the ambient vibration tests, the dam was vibrated by natural excitations provided from small impact effects and the response signals were measured using sensitive accelerometers. Operational Modal Analysis software process signals collected from the ambient vibration tests, and Enhanced Frequency Domain Decomposition and Stochastic Subspace Identification techniques estimated modal parameters of the dams. To validate the experimental results, 3D finite element model of the prototype arch dam was modeled by ANSYS software for empty reservoir and three different reservoir water lengths, and dynamic characteristics of each model were determined analytically. At the end of the study, experimentally and analytically identified dynamic characteristics compared to each other. Also, changes on the natural frequencies along to water length are plotted as graphs. Results suggest that reservoir water complicates the modal behavior of the arch dam significantly.
ambient vibration test;dynamic characteristic;prototype arch dam-reservoir-foundation model;water length effect
- Akkas, N., Akay, H.U. and Y lmaz, C. (1979), "Applicability of general purpose finite element programs in solid-fluid interaction problems", Comput. Struct., 10, 773-783. https://doi.org/10.1016/0045-7949(79)90041-5
- Akkose, M., Bayraktar, A. and Dumano lu, A.A. (2007), "Reservoir water level effects on nonlinear dynamic response of arch dams", J. Fluid. Struct., 24, 418-435.
- Akkose, M. (2004), "Materially linear and nonlinear dynamic analysis of arch dam-water-foundation systems by lagrangian approach", PhD Thesis, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Alves, S.W. and Hall, J.F. (2006), "System identification of a concrete arch dam and calibration of its finite element model", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 35, 1321-1337. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.575
- ANSYS (2008), Swanson Analysis System, USA.
- Arch Dams (1968), "A review of british research and development", Proceedings of the Symposium Held at the Institution of Civil Engineers, London, England.
- Bathe, K.J. (1996), Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, Prentice- Hall.
- Bendat, J.S. and Piersol, A.G. (2004), Random Data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures, John Wiley and Sons, USA.
- Brincker, R., Zhang, L. and Andersen, P. (2000), "Modal identification from ambient responses using frequency domain decomposition", Proceedings of the 18th International Modal Analysis Conference, San Antonio, USA, 4062(2), 625-630.
- Calay r, Y. (1994), "Dynamic analysis of concrete gravity dams using the eulerian and lagrangian approaches", PhD Thesis, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Chopra, A.K. (1968), "Earthquake behavior of reservoir-dam systems", J. Eng. Mech. Div.-ASCE, 94, 1475-1500.
- Clough, R.W. and Penzien, J. (1993), Dynamics of Structures, Mcgraw-Hill Book Company, Singapore.
- Daniell, W.E. and Taylor, C.A. (1999), "Effective ambient vibration testing for validating numerical models of concrete dams", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 28(11), 1327-1344. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199911)28:11<1327::AID-EQE869>3.0.CO;2-V
- Darbre, G.R. and Proulx, J. (2002), "Continuous ambient-vibration monitoring of the arch dam of Mauvoisin", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 31(2), 475-480. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.118
- Dungar, R. (1978), "An efficient method of fluid-structure coupling in the dynamic analysis of structures", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 13, 93-107. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620130107
- Ewins, D.J. (1984), Modal Testing: Theory and Practice, Research Studies Press Ltd. England.
- Fok, K.L. and Chopra, A.K. (1986), "Earthquake analysis of arch dams including dam-water interaction, reservoir boundary absorption and foundation flexibility", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 14, 155-184. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290140202
- Ghanaat, Y., Hall, R.L. and Redpath, B.B. (2000), "Measurement and computation of dynamic response of arch dams including interaction effects", J. Seismol. Earthq. Eng., 2, 1-19.
- Guan, F. and Mooree, I.D. (1997), "New techniques for modeling reservoir-dam and foundation-dam interaction", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 16, 285-293. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(96)00044-9
- Jacobsen, N.J., Andersen, P. and Brincker, R. (2006), "Using enhanced frequency domain decomposition as a robust technique to harmonic excitation in Operational Modal Analysis", Proceedings of ISMA2006: International Conference on Noise & Vibration Engineering, Leuven, Belgium.
- Juang, N.J. (1994), Applied System Identification, Englewood Cliffs, Prentice-Hall Inc., NJ.
- Lotfi, V. (2007), "Direct frequency domain analysis of concrete arch dams based on FE-BE procedure", Struct. Eng. Mech., 26(4), 363-376. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2007.26.4.363
- Lotfi, V. (2006), "An efficient three-dimensional fluid hyper-element for dynamic analysis of concrete arch dams", Struct. Eng. Mech., 24(6), 683-689. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2006.24.6.683
- Lotfi, V. and Espandar, R. (2004), "Seismic analysis of concrete arch dams by combined discrete crack and nonorthogonal smeared crack technique", Eng. Struct., 26, 27-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.08.007
- Mendes, P. and Oliveira, S. (2007), "Study of dam-reservoir dynamic interaction using vibration tests on a physical model", Proceedings of the 2nd International Operational Modal Analysis Conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2(18), 477-484.
- Mendes, P., Oliveira, S., Guerreiro, L., Baptista, M.A. and Costa, A.C. (2004), "Dynamic behavior of concrete dams monitoring and modeling", Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, Canada, August.
- Nasserzarea, J., Leib, Y. and Eskandari-Shiria, S. (2000), "Computation of natural frequencies and mode shapes of arch dams as an inverse problem", Adv. Eng. Soft., 31, 827-836. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(00)00045-4
- Oliveira, S. and Faria, R. (2006), "Numerical simulation of collapse scenarios in reduced scale tests of arch dams", Eng. Struct., 28, 1430-1439. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.01.012
- OMA (2006), Operational Modal Analysis, Release 4.0. Structural Vibration Solutions A/S, Denmark.
- Porter, C.S. and Chopra, A.K. (1981), "Dynamic analysis of simple arch dams including hydrodynamic interaction", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 9, 573-597.
- Proulx, J., Paultre, P., Rheault, J. and Robert, Y. (2001), "An experimental investigation of water level effects on the dynamic behavior of a large arch dam", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 30, 1147-1166. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.55
- PULSE (2006), Analyzers and Solutions, Release 11.2. Bruel and Kjaer, Sound and Vibration Measurement A/S, Denmark.
- Ren, W.X., Zhao, T. and Harik, I.E. (2004), "Experimental and analytical modal analysis of steel arch bridge", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 130, 1022-1031. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:7(1022)
- Sevim, B., Bayraktar, A., Altunsik, A.C., Adanur, S. and Akkose, M. (2010), "Modal parameter identification of a prototype arch dam using enhanced frequency domain decomposition and stochastic subspace identification techniques", Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 38(5), 588-597.
- USACE (2003), Time-History Dynamic Analysis of Concrete Hydraulic Structures, Engineering and Design, USA.
- Wang, B.S. and He, Z.C. (2007), "Crack detection of arch dam using statistical neural network based on the reductions of natural frequencies", J. Sound Vib., 302, 1037-1047. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2007.01.008
- Wang, H. and Li, D. (2006), "Experimental study of seismic overloading of large arch dam", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 35, 199-216. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.517
- Wang, H. and Li, D. (2007), "Experimental study of dynamic damage of an arch dam", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 36, 347-366. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.637
- Westergaard, H.M. (1933), "Water pressures on dams during earthquakes", Transactions, ASCE, 98, 418-433.
- Wilson, E.L. and Khalvati, M. (1983), "Finite elements for the dynamic analysis of fluid-solid systems", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 19, 1657-1668. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.1620191105
- Yu, D.J. and Ren, W.X. (2005), "EMD-based stochastic subspace identification of structures from operational vibration measurements", Eng. Struct., 27, 1741-1751. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.04.016
- Zhou, J., Lin, G., Zhu, T., Jefferson, A.D. and Williams, F.W. (2000), "Experimental investigations into seismic failure of high arch dams", J. Struct. Eng., 126(8), 926-935. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:8(926)
- Zienkiewicz, O.C. and Taylor, R.L. (1989), The Finite Element Method, Vol. I, Mc Graw-Hill.
- Time dependent changing of dynamic characteristics of laboratory arch dam model vol.19, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-014-1080-3
- Experimental evaluation of crack effects on the dynamic characteristics of a prototype arch dam using ambient vibration tests vol.10, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2012.10.3.277
- Retrofitting Effect on the Dynamic Properties of Model-Arch Dam with and without Reservoir Water Using Ambient-Vibration Test Methods vol.142, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001520
- Vibration based damage identification of concrete arch dams by finite element model updating vol.13, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.13.2.209
- A Study on Structural Safety of Concrete Arch Dams During Construction and Operation Phases pp.1573-1529, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-018-0628-2