- Volume 39 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Experimental and analytical investigation on seismic behavior of RC framed structure by pushover method
- Sharma, Akanshu (Reactor Safety Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre) ;
- Reddy, G.R. (Reactor Safety Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre) ;
- Eligehausen, R. (Institute for Construction Materials, University of Stuttgart) ;
- Vaze, K.K. (Reactor Safety Division, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre)
- Received : 2010.06.16
- Accepted : 2011.04.14
- Published : 2011.07.10
Pushover analysis has gained significant popularity as an analytical tool for realistic determination of the inelastic behaviour of RC structures. Though significant work has been done to evaluate the demands realistically, the evaluation of capacity and realistic failure modes has taken a back seat. In order to throw light on the inelastic behaviour and capacity evaluation for the RC framed structures, a 3D Reinforced concrete frame structure was tested under monotonically increasing lateral pushover loads, in a parabolic pattern, till failure. The structure consisted of three storeys and had 2 bays along the two orthogonal directions. The structure was gradually pushed in small increments of load and the corresponding displacements were monitored continuously, leading to a pushover curve for the structure as a result of the test along with other relevant information such as strains on reinforcement bars at critical locations, failure modes etc. The major failure modes were observed as flexural failure of beams and columns, torsional failure of transverse beams and joint shear failure. The analysis of the structure was by considering all these failure modes. In order to have a comparison, the analysis was performed as three different cases. In one case, only the flexural hinges were modelled for critical locations in beams and columns; in second the torsional hinges for transverse beams were included in the analysis and in the third case, joint shear hinges were also included in the analysis. It is shown that modelling and capturing all the failure modes is practically possible and such an analysis can provide the realistic insight into the behaviour of the structure.
reinforced concrete structure;experiment;pushover analysis;failure modes;seismic response
- ACI 318M-08 (2008), Building Code Requirements for Reinforced Concrete, American Concrete Institute, Detroit, Michigan.
- Antoniou, S. and Pinho, R. (2004), "Development and verification of a displacement-based adaptive pushover procedure", J. Earthq. Eng., 8(5), 643-661.
- Applied Technology Council (1996), "Seismic evaluation and retrofit of concrete buildings", Report No. ATC- 40, Applied Technology Council, Redwood City, California.
- Applied Technology Council (2005), "Improvement of nonlinear static seismic analysis procedures", Report No. FEMA-440, Washington, D.C.
- Baker, A.L.L. and Amarakone, A.M.N. (1964), "Inelastic hyperstatic frames analysis", Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Flexural Mechanics of Reinforced Concrete, ASCE-ACI, Miami, November.
- Biddah, A. and Ghobarah, A. (1999), "Modelling of shear deformation and bond slip in reinforced concrete joints", Struct. Eng. Mech., 7(4), 413-432. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.1922.214.171.1243
- Building Seismic Safety Council (1997), "NEHRP guidelines for the seismic rehabilitation of buildings", Report FEMA-273 (Guidelines) and Report FEMA-274 (Commentary), Washington, D.C.
- Chan, W.L. (1955), "The ultimate strength and deformation of plastic hinges in reinforced concrete frameworks", Mag. Concrete Res., 7(21), 121-132. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.19126.96.36.199
- Chopra, A.K. and Goel, R.K. (2002), "A modal pushover analysis procedure for estimating seismic demands for buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31, 561-582. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.144
- Chopra, A.K. and Goel, R.K. (2004), "A modal pushover analysis procedure to estimate seismic demands for unsymmetric-plan buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 33, 903-927. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.380
- Cosenza, E., Manfredi, G. and Verderame, G.M. (2006), "A fibre model for push-over analysis of under-designed reinforced concrete frames", Comput. Struct., 84, 904-916. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2006.02.003
- Fajfar, P. and Gasperic, P. (1996), "The N2 method for the seismic damage analysis of RC buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 25, 31-46. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199601)25:1<31::AID-EQE534>3.0.CO;2-V
- Fajfar, P. (2000), "A nonlinear analysis method for performance based seismic design", Earthq. Spectra, 16(3), 573-592. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1586128
- FEMA (2000), "Prestandard and commentary for seismic rehabilitation of buildings", Report No. FEMA-356, Washington, D.C.
- Han, S.W. and Chopra, A.K. (2006), "Approximate incremental dynamic analysis using the modal pushover analysis procedure", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35, 1853-1873. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.605
- Isakovic, T. and Fischinger, M. (2006), "Higher modes in simplified inelastic seismic analysis of single column bent viaducts", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35, 95-114. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.535
- Kafrawy, O.E., Bagchi, A. and Humar, J. (2011), Seismic performance of concrete moment resisting frame buildings in Canada", Struct. Eng. Mech., 37(2), 233-251. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2011.37.2.233
- Kent, D.C. and Park, R. (1971), "Flexural members with confined concrete", J. Struct. Div.-ASCE, 97(ST7), 1969-1990.
- Kilar, V. and Fajfar, P. (1996), "Simplified push-over analysis of building structure", Proceedings of the Eleventh World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Paper 1011, Pergamon, Elsevier Science Ltd., Acapulco, México.
- Kilar, V. and Fajfar, P. (1997), "Simple push-over analysis of asymmetric buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26, 233-249. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199702)26:2<233::AID-EQE641>3.0.CO;2-A
- Kilar, V. and Fajfar, P. (2001), "On the applicability of pushover analysis to the seismic performance evaluation of asymmetric buildings", Eur. Earthq. Eng., XV(1), 20-31.
- Kunnath, S.K. (2004), "Identification of modal combination for nonlinear static analysis of building structures", Comput-Aid. Civil Infrastruct. Eng., 19, 246-259. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2004.00352.x
- Kupfer, H. and Bulicek, H. (1991), "A consistent model for the design of shear reinforcement in slender beams with I- or Box-shaped cross section", International Workshop on Concrete Shear in Earthquake, Houston, Tex.
- Li, Y.F., Chen, S.H., Chang, K.C. and Liu, K.Y. (2005), A constitutive model of concrete confined by steel reinforcements and steel jackets, Can. J. Civ. Eng., 32, 279-288. https://doi.org/10.1139/l04-093
- Ludovico, M.D., Balsamo, A., Prota, A. and Manfredi, G. (2008), "Comparative assessment of seismic rehabilitation techniques on a full scale 3-story RC moment frame structure", Struct. Eng. Mech., 28(6), 727- 747. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2008.28.6.727
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), Theoretical stress-strain behavior of confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Paraskeva, T.S., Kappos, A.J. and Sextos, A.G. (2006), "Extension of modal pushover analysis to seismic assessment of bridges", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35, 1269-1293. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.582
- Park, R. and Paulay, T. (1975), Reinforced Concrete Structures, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Park, R., Priestley, M.J.N. and Gill, W.D. (1982), "Ductility of square-confined concrete columns", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 108(ST4), 929-950.
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete and Masonry Buildings, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Priestley, M.J.N. (1997), "Displacement based seismic assessment of reinforced concrete buildings", J. Earthq. Eng., 1(1), 157-192.
- Rueda, J.E.M. and Elnashai, A.S. (1997), "Confined concrete model under cyclic load", Mater. Struct., 30(3), 139-147. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02486385
- Samra, R.M. (1990), "Ductility analysis of confined columns", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 116(11), 3148-3161. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1990)116:11(3148)
- Sargin, M., Ghosh, S.K. and Handa, V.K. (1971), "Effects of lateral reinforcement upon the strength and deformation properties of concrete", Mag. Concrete Res., 23(75-76), 99-110. https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.19188.8.131.52
- Sharma, A., Reddy, G.R., Vaze, K.K., Ghosh, A.K., Kushwaha, H.S. and Eligehausen, R. (2008), "Investigations on inelastic behavior of non-seismically detailed reinforced concrete beam-column joints under cyclic excitations", BARC External Report No. BARC/2008/E/017.
- Sharma, A., Genesio, G., Reddy, G.R. and Eligehausen, R. (2009a), "Nonlinear dynamic analysis using microplane model for concrete and bond slip model for prediction of behavior of non-seismically detailed RCC beam-column joints", J. Struct. Eng., SERC, 36(4), 250-257.
- Sharma, A., Reddy, G.R., Vaze, K.K., Ghosh, A.K., Kushwaha, H.S. and Eligehausen, R. (2009b), "Joint model to simulate inelastic shear behavior of poorly detailed exterior and interior beam-column connections reinforced with deformed bars under seismic excitations", BARC External Report No. BARC/2009/E/026.
- Sharma, A., Eligehausen, R. and Reddy, G.R. (2011), "A new model to simulate joint shear behavior of poorly detailed beam-column connections in rc structures under seismic loads - Part I - Exterior Joints", Int. J. Eng. Struct., 33, 1034-1051. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.12.026
- Sheikh, S.A. and Uzumeri, S.M. (1982), "Analytical model for concrete confinement in tied columns", J. Struct. Div.-ASCE, 108(ST12), 2703-2722.
- Watanabe, F. and Lee, J.Y. (1998), "Theoretical prediction of shear strength and failure mode of reinforced concrete beams", ACI Struct. J., 95(6), 749-757.
- Weng, Y.T., Lin, K.C. and Hwang, S.J. (2006), "Experimental and analytical performance assessment of in-situ pushover tests of school buildings in Taiwan", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Taipei, Taiwan, Paper No. 154.
- Ziyaeifara, M. and Noguchib, H. (2000), "A refined model for beam elements and beam-column joints", Comput. Struct., 76(4), 551-564. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(99)00116-9
- A coupled thermo-mechanical inelastic analysis approach for reinforced concrete flexural members during fire 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.201700071
- Prediction of post fire load deflection response of RC flexural members using simplistic numerical approach vol.50, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.50.6.755
- Influence of shear deformation of exterior beam-column joints on the quasi-static behavior of RC framed structures vol.12, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2013.12.4.393
- Collapse of Damaged Steel Building Frames because of Earthquakes vol.32, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0001125
- Pushover experiment and analysis of a full scale non-seismically detailed RC structure vol.46, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.08.006
- Expeditious seismic assessment of existing moment resisting frame reinforced concrete buildings: Proposal of a calculation method vol.101, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.06.047