- Volume 39 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Damage inspection and performance evaluation of Jilin highway double-curved arch concrete bridge in China
- Naser, Ali Fadhil (School of Transportation Science and Engineering, Bridge and Tunnel Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology) ;
- Zonglin, Wang (School of Transportation Science and Engineering, Bridge and Tunnel Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2010.07.24
- Accepted : 2011.05.25
- Published : 2011.08.25
Jilin highway concrete bridge is located in the center of Jilin City, which is positioned in the middle part in Jilin Province in the east north of China. This bridge crosses the Songhua River and connects the north and the south of Jilin City. The main purpose of damages inspection of the bridge components is to ensure the safety of a bridge and to identify any maintenance, repair, or strengthening which that need to be carried out. The damages that occur in reinforced concrete bridges include different types of cracks, scalling and spalling of concrete, corrosion of steel reinforcement, deformation, excessive deflection, and stain. The main objectives of this study are to inspect the appearance of Jilin highway concrete bridge and describe all the damages in the bridge structural members, and to evaluate the structural performance of the bridge structure under dead and live loads. The tests adopted in this study are: (a) the depth of concrete carbonation test, (b) compressive strength of concrete test, (c) corrosion of steel test, (d) static load test, and (e) dynamic load test. According to the damages inspection of the bridge structure appearance, most components of the bridge are in good conditions with the exception arch waves, spandrel arch, deck pavement of new arch bridge, and corbel of simply supported bridge which suffer from serious damages. Load tests results show that the deflection, strain, and cracks development satisfy the requirements of the standards.
- Al-Rifaie, W.N. and Kareem, A.S. (1986), Bridges, University of Technology, Baghdad, Iraq.
- Ahmed, Al-Ostaz (2004), "Diagnostic evaluation and repair of deteriorated concrete bridge", Final Report, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Mississippi.
- ASTM C876-91 (1999), "Standard test method for half-cell potentials of uncoated reinforcing steel in concrete".
- Bindra, S.P. and Bindra, K. (1980), Elements of Bridge Tunnel and Railway Engineering, Dhanpat Rai and Sons, Delhi and Jullundur, Second Edition, India.
- CJJ99 (2003), "City bridge maintenance technical specifications", Industry Standard of Ministry of Construction in the People's Republic of China.
- Design Code of Highway Bridges and Culverts (1975), The People's Republic of China
- Fuhrman, K. and Desens, V. ( 2007), Bridge Inspection Report, Minneapolis City, Hennepin.
- Ha, W.S. and Velu, S. (2007), "Corrosion monitoring of reinforced concrete structure- A Review", Int. J. Electr. Sci., 2, 1-28.
- Indian Railways Institute of Civil Engineering (IRICE). (2005), Bridge Inspection and Maintenance, Pune 411001, India.
- JTG D60 (2004), "General code for design of highway bridges and culverts", The People's Republic of China.
- JTG D62 (2004), "Code for design of reinforced concrete and pre-stressed concrete highway bridges and culverts", The People's Republic of China.
- Manaf, A.M. (2000), "Defining standard of periodic bridge maintenance activities in Iraq by adopting expert system technology", Building and Construction Engineering Department in Partial Fulfillment of the Requirements, Degree of Master of Sciences in Civil Engineering, University of Technology.
- Ministry of Transportation (2009), "Bridge inspection and maintenance", Annual Report of the Office Auditor General of Ontario, Chapter 3, Section 3.02.
- Pengzhen, L., Renda, Z. and Junping, Z. (2010), "Experimental and finite element studies of special-shape arch bridge for self-balance", Struct. Eng. Mech., 35(1), 37-52. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2010.35.1.037
- Raina, V.K. (1996), Concrete Bridge: Inspection, Repair, Strengthening, Testing, Load Capacity, and Evaluation, Copyright by V.K. Raina, USA.
- Robert, J.C., Robert, D. and Hussam, M. (2005), "Inspection and management of bridges with fracture-critical details", National Cooperation Highway Research Program (NCHRP), A synthesis of Highway Practice, Transportation of Research Board (TRB), Washington. D. C.
- Roy, J. (2006), "Major Concrete Structures Inspection, Workbook", Course Number 204, A Training Course Developed for The Arizona Department of Transportation, Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Texas Department of Transportation (2002), "Bridge inspection manual", Manual Notes 512. 416-2055, Copyright by Texas Department of Transportation.
- Widening Project of Jilin Highway Bridge (1975), Municipal Corporation of the City of Jilin.
- Yunping, X., Benson, S., Naser, A., Andi, A. Su, W., Zhaohui, X. and Ayman, A. (2003), "Assessment of the cracking problem in newly constructed bridge decks in Colorado", Final Report, Report No.CDOT-DTD-R- 2003-3, The Colorado Department of Transportation.