- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Investigation on the wind-induced instability of long-span suspension bridges with 3D cable system
- Zhang, Xin-Jun (College of Civil Engineering and Architecture, Zhejiang University of Technology)
- Received : 2009.09.28
- Accepted : 2010.11.09
- Published : 2011.05.25
The cable system is generally considered to be a structural solution to increase the spanning capacity of suspension bridges. In this work, based on the Runyang Bridge over the Yangtze River, three case suspension bridges with different 3D cable systems are designed, structural dynamic characteristics, the aerostatic and aerodynamic stability are investigated numerically by 3D nonlinear aerostatic and aerodynamic analysis, and the cable system favorable to improve the wind-induced instability of long-span suspension bridges is also proposed. The results show that as compared to the example bridge with parallel cable system, the suspension bridge with inward-inclined cable system has greater lateral bending and tensional frequencies, and also better aerodynamic stability; as for the suspension bridge with outward-inclined cable system, it has less lateral bending and tensional frequencies, and but better aerostatic stability; however the suspension bridge is more prone to aerodynamic instability, and therefore considering the whole wind-induced instability, the parallel and inward-inclined cable systems are both favorable for long-span suspension bridges.
- Astiz, M.A.(1996), "Wind related behavior of alternative suspension systems", Proceedings of the 15th Congress IABSE, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Astiz, M.A.(1998), "Flutter stability of very long suspension bridges", J. Bridge Eng-ASCE, 3(3), 132-139. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(1998)3:3(132)
- Gimsing, N.J.(1997), Cable-supported bridges-concept and design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester, England.
- Jensen, P.(2001), "On cable-supported bridges-challenging technical limits", Proceedings of the Beauty of Suspended Structures, IABSE Conference, Soul, Korea.
- Kim, H.K., Lee, M.J. and Chang, S.P.(2002), "Non-linear shape-finding analysis of a self-anchored suspension bridge", Eng. Struct., 24(12), 1547-1559. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00097-4
- Kubo, Y., Sasaki, M., Nakagiri, H. and Sakata, T.(1995), "Dynamic and flutter characteristics of long-span suspension bridges with 3D cable system", Bridges into the 21stCentury, Hong Kong.
- Kwon, S.D., Changa, S.P., Kimb, Y.S. and Parkc, S.Y.(1995), "Aerodynamic stability of self-anchored double deck suspension bridge", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 54, 25-34.
- Larsen, A. and Astiz, M.A.(1998), "Aeroelastic considerations for the Gibraltar Bridge feasibility study", Bridge Aerod., Balkema, Rotterdam, 165-173.
- Luo, X.H.(2004), Fine analysis of complicated suspension bridge during construction process, Dissertation of Tongji University.
- Ochsendorf, A. and Billington, P.(1999), "Self-anchored Suspension Bridges", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 4(3), 151-156. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(1999)4:3(151)
- Osamu, Y., Motoi, O. and Takeo, M.(2004), "Structural characteristics and applicability of four-span suspension bridge", J. Bridge Eng., ASCE, 9(5), 453-463. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2004)9:5(453)
- Xiang, H.F. and Ge, Y.J.(2007), "Aerodynamic challenges in span length of suspension bridges", Frontiers of Architecture and Civil Engineering in China, 1(2), 153-162. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-007-0016-0
- Xiang, H.F. and Chen, A.R.(2000), Wind-resistant Research on the Runyang Highway Bridge over the Yangtze River: sectional-model wind tunnel test. The State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University.
- Zhang, X.J.(2006), "Advanced aerostatic analysis of long-span suspension bridges", J. Zhejiang University SCIENCE A, 7(3), 424-429. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.2006.A0424
- Zhang, X.J. (2007), "Influence of some factors on the aerodynamic behavior of long-span suspension bridges", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95(3), 149-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2006.08.003
- Zhou, X.H., Wu, J. and Di, J.(2006), "Mechanical analysis for long-span self-anchored suspension bridges", J. China Civil Engin., 39(2), 42-45.
- Statistical characteristics of sustained wind environment for a long-span bridge based on long-term field measurement data vol.17, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2013.17.1.043
- Analysis on running safety of train on bridge with wind barriers subjected to cross wind vol.17, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2013.17.2.203
- A method for nonlinear aerostatic stability analysis of long-span suspension bridges under yaw wind vol.17, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2013.17.5.553