- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Cordyceps militaris on Testosterone Production in Sprague-Dawley Rats
- Hong, In-Pyo (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Choi, Yong-Soo (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Woo, Soon-Ok (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Han, Sang-Mi (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Hye-Kyung (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Man-Young (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Myung-Ryul (National Academy of Agricultural Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Humber, Richard A. (USDA-ARS Biological Integrated Pest Management Research Unit, Robert W. Holly Center for Agriculture & Health)
- Received : 2011.08.05
- Accepted : 2011.09.04
- Published : 2011.09.30
Some of men have been suffered from the insufficient secretion of testosterone causing by physical factors, social and psychological factors. Testosterone is an essential steroid hormone controlling male reproductive function. Alternative medicines in plants, fungi, and insects have been studied to enhance sexuality.
Supported by : Rural Development Administration (RDA)
- Chang Y, Jeng KC, Huang KF,Lee YC,Hou CW, Chen KH,Cheng FY, Liao JW, Chen YS (2008) Effect of CordycepsMilitarissupplementation on sperm production, sperm motility and hormones in Sprague-Dawley rats. Am J Chin Med 36, 849-859. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X08006296
- Crimmel AS, Conner CS, Monga M (2001) Withered Yang: a review of traditional Chinese medical treatment of male infertility and erectile dysfunction. J Androl 22, 173-182.
- Hong IP, Choi YS, Woo SO, Han SM, Kim HK, Lee MR, Nam SH, HaNG (2011) Stimulatory effect of Cordycepsmilitaris on testosterone production in male mouse. Kor J Mycol 39, 148-150. https://doi.org/10.4489/KJM.2010.39.2.148
- Hsu CC, Huang YL, Tsai SJ, Sheu CC, Huang BM (2003) In vivo and in vitro stimulatory effects of Cordycepssinensison testosterone production in mouse Leydig cells. Life Sci 73, 2127-2136. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0024-3205(03)00595-2
- Huang YL, Leu SF, Liu BC, Sheu CC, Huang BM (2004) In vivo stimulatory effect of Cordycepssinensismycelium and its fractions on reproductive functions in male mouse. Life Sci 75, 1051-1062. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2004.01.029
- Huff DS, Snyder III HM, Rusnack SL, Zderic SA, Carr MC, Canning DA (2001) Hormonal therapy for the subfertility of cryptorchidism. Horm Res 55, 38-40. https://doi.org/10.1159/000049962
- Kim GY, Ko WS, Lee JY, Lee JO, Ryu CH, Choi BT, Park YM, Jeong YK, Lee KJ, Choi KS, Heo MS, Choi YH (2006) Water extract of Cordycepsmilitarisenhances maturation of murine bone marrow-derived dendritic cells in vitro. Biol Pharm Bull 29, 354-360. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.29.354
- Lin WH, Tsai MT, Chen YS, Hou RC, Hung HH, Li CH, Wang HK, Lai MN, Jeng KC (2007) Improvement of sperm production in subfertile boars by Cordycepsmilitarissupplement. Am J Chin Med 35: 637-647.
- Roscoe WA, Barr KJ, Mhawi AA, Pomerantz DK, Kidder GM (2001) Failure of spermatogenesis in mice lacking connexin 43. BiolReprod 65, 829-838.
- Ryu KS, Lee HS, Kim KY, Kim MJ, Lee KG (2010) Testosterone secretion effect according to the growth stage of silkworm (Bombyx mori L.).Int J IndustEntomol 20, 75-77.
- Ryu KS, Lee HS, Kang PD, Kim KY, Kim MJ, Oh HG, Kang PD (2011) Secretion effect of estrogen of different growth stages of silkworm (Bombyx mori L.). Int J IndustEntomol 22, 17-20. https://doi.org/10.7852/ijie.2011.22.1.17
- Saez JM (1994) Leydig cells: endocrine, paracrine and autocrine regulation. Endocrine Review 15, 574-626. https://doi.org/10.1210/edrv-15-5-574
- Sinclair S (2000) Male infertility: nutritional and environmental considerations. Altern Med Rev 5, 28-38.
- Won SY, Park EH (2005) Anti-inflammatory and related pharmacological activities of culturedmycelia and fruiting bodies of Cordycepsmilitaris. J Ethnopharmacol 96, 555-561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2004.10.009
- Yu HM, Wang BS, Huang SC, Duh (2006) Comparison of protective effects between cultured Cordycepsmilitarisand natural Cordycepssinensisagainst oxidative damage. J Agric Food Chem 54, 3132-3138. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf053111w
- Zhu, JS, Halpern GM, Jones K (1998) The scientific rediscovery of a precious ancient Chinese herbal regimen: Cordycepssinensis: Part I. J AlternComplem Med 4, 289-303.