- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Spectral Analysis Accompanied with Seasonal Linear Model as Applied to Intra-Day Call Prediction
스펙트럼 분석과 계절성 선형 모델을 이용한 Intra-Day 콜센터 통화량예측
Shin, Taek-Soo;Kim, Myung-Suk
- Received : 20101000
- Accepted : 20110100
- Published : 2011.04.30
In this paper, a seasonal variable selection method using the spectral analysis accompanied with seasonal linear model is suggested. The suggested method is applied to the prediction of intra-day call arrivals at a large North American commercial bank call center and a signi cant intra-month seasonal variable I detected. This newly detected seasonal factor is included in the seasonal linear model and is compared with the seasonal linear models without this variable to see whether the new variable helps to improve the forecasting performance. The seasonal linear model with the new variable outperformed the models without it in one-day-ahead forecasting.
Call volume forecast;intra-day call arrival;seasonal linear model;seasonal variable selection;spectral analysis
- Andrews, B. H. and Cunningham, S. M. (1995). L.L. bean improves call center forecasting, Interfaces, 25, 1-13.
- Bartlett, M. S. (1966). An Introduction to Stochastic Process, Cambridge University Press, London.
- Bianchi, L., Jarrett, J. and Choudary Hanumara, R. (1993). Forecasting incoming calls to telemarketing centers, Journal of Business Forecasting Methods and Systems, 12, 3-12.
- Brown, L. D., Gans, N., Mandelbaum, A., Sakov, A., Shen, H., Zeltyn, S. and Zhao, L. H. (2005). Statistical analysis of a telephone call center: A queueing-science perspective, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 100, 36-50. https://doi.org/10.1198/016214504000001808
- Durbin, J. (1967). Tests of serial independence based on the cumulated periodogram, Bulletin of the International Statistics Institute, 42, 1039-1049.
- Fuller, W. A. (1976). Introduction to Statistical Time Series, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Gans, N., Koole, G. and Mandelbaum, A. (2003). Telephone call centers: Tutorial, review and research prospects, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, 5, 79-141. https://doi.org/10.1287/msom.18.104.22.16871
- Shen, H. and Huang, J. Z. (2008). Interday forecasting and intra-day updating of call center arrivals, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, 10, 391-410. https://doi.org/10.1287/msom.1070.0179
- Taylor, J. W. (2008). A comparison of univariate time series methods for forecasting intraday arrivals at a call center, Management Science, 54, 253-265. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.1070.0786
- Tych, W., Pedregal, D. J., Young, P. C. and Davies, J. (2002). An unobserved component model for multirate forecasting of telephone call demand: The design of a forecasting support system, International Journal of Forecasting, 18, 673-695. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-2070(02)00071-7
- Weinberg, J., Brown, L. D. and Stroud, J. R. (2007). Bayesian forecasting of an inhomogeneous poisson process with applications to call center data, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 102, 1185-1198. https://doi.org/10.1198/016214506000001455
Supported by : 서강대학교