- Volume 60 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Study on the Dynamic Synchronizing Control of An Islanded Microgrid
독립운전 마이크로그리드의 능동형 동기 투입 제어에 관한 연구
- Received : 2011.04.08
- Accepted : 2011.05.24
- Published : 2011.06.01
A microgrid is an aggregation of multiple distributed generators (DGs) such as renewable energy sources, conventional generators, and energy storage systems that provide both electric power and thermal energy. Generally, a microgrid operates in parallel with the main grid. However, there are cases in which a microgrid operates in islanded mode, or in a disconnected state. Islanded microgrid can change its operational mode to grid-connected operation by reconnection to the grid, which is referred to as synchronization. Generally, a single machine simply synchronizes with the grid using a synchronizer. However, the synchronization of microgrid that operate with multiple DGs and loads cannot be controlled by a traditional synchronizer, but needs to control multiple generators and energy storage systems in a coordinated way. This is not a simple job, considering that a microgrid consists of various power electronics-based DGs as well as alternator-based generators that produce power together. This paper introduces the results of research examining an active synchronizing control system that consists of the network-based coordinated control of multiple DGs. Consequently, it provides the microgrid with a deterministic and reliable reconnection to the grid. The proposed method is verified by using the test cases with the experimental setup of a microgrid pilot plant.
- R.H.Lasseter, "MicroGrids," in Proc.IEEE Power Eng. Soc. Winter Meeting, Vol. 1, pp. 305-308, Jan 2002.
- R.H.Lasseter, "Extended CERTS Microgrid," in Proc. IEEE Power and Energy Soc. General Meeting, pp. 1-5, Jul 2008.
- M. R. Vallem, D. Jensen, and J. Mitra, "Reliability Evaluation and Need Based Storage Assessment for Surety Microgrids," in Proc. North Amer. Power Symp., pp. 29-33, 2006.
- C. Marnay, and G. Venkataramanan, "Optimal Technology Selection and Operation of Commercial-Building Microgrids," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 975-982, Aug 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2008.922654
- M. Barnes, J. Kondoh, H. Asano, J. Oyarzabal, G. Ventakaramanan, R. Lasseter, N. Hatziargyriou, and T. Green, "Real-World MicroGrid-An Overview," in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Syst. of Syst. Eng. ,pp. 1-8, Apr. 2007.
- W. M. Strang, C. J. Mozina, B. Beckwith, T. R. Beckwith, S. Chhak, E. C. Fennell, E. W. Kalkstein, K. C. Kozminski, A. C. Pierce, P. W. Powell, D. W. Smaha, J. T. Uchiyama, S. M. Usman, and W. P. Waudby,"Generator Synchronizing, Industry Survey Results," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol.11, pp. 174-183, Jan. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.484014
- L. C. Gross, L. S. Anderson, and R. C. Young, "Avoid generator and system damage due to a slow synchronizing breaker," in Proc. 24th Annu. Western Protective Relay Conf., Oct. 21-23, 1997, pp.1-20., Available:http://www.selinc.com/techpprs/6062.pdf
- J.V. Mitsche, and P.A. Rusche, "Shaft Torsional Stress Due to Asynchronous Faulty Synchronization," IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., Vol. 99, Issue 5, pp. 1864-1870, Sep. 1980.
- R. A. Evans, "A Manual/Automatic Synchronization Circuit for a 37.5 MVA Steam -Turbine-Driven Generator," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 1081-1085, Nov./Dec.1990. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.62391
- N.T. Stringer, "Voltage Considerations during Generator Synchronizing," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 526-529, May/June 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.766996
- Y. Li, D. M. Vilathgamuwa, and P. C. Loh, "Design, Analysis, and Real-Time Testing of a Controller for Multibus Microgrid System", IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 19, pp.1195-1204, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.833456
- F. Katiraei, M. R. Iravani, and P. W. Lehn, "Micro-Grid Autonomous Operating During and Subsequent to Islanding Process," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 20, pp. 248-257, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.835051
- S. Inoue, and H. Akagi, "A Bi-Directional DC/DC Converter for an Energy Storage System,"in Applied Power Electron. Conf. 2007, pp. 761-767, Feb. 2007.
- C. Xiarnay, H. Asano, S. Papathanassiou, and G. Strbac, "Policymaking for microgrids," IEEE Power and Energy Mag., Vol. 6, Issue 3, pp. 66-77, May-Jun 2008.
- K. Yeager, "Striving for Power Perfection," IEEE Power and Energy Mag., Vol. 6, Issue 6, pp. 28-35, Nov-Dec 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPE.2008.929863
- M. M. Begovic, P. M. Djuric, S. Dunlap, and A. G. Phadke, "Frequency Tracking in Power Networks in the Presence of Harmonics," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 8, No 2, pp. 480-486, Apr. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.216849
- J.-Z. Yang, and C.-W. Liu, "A Precise Calculation of Power System Frequency and Phasor," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 494-499, Apr. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.852974
- T. Sezi "A New Method for Measuring Power System Frequency," in IEEE Transmission and Distribution Conf., Vol. 1, pp. 400-405, Apr. 1999.
- C. Cho, S. -K. Kim, J. -H. Jeon, and S. Kim, "New Ideas for a Soft Synchronizer Applied to CHP Cogeneration," IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 26, pp..11-21, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2010.2080692
- F. Katiraei, R. Iravani, N. Hatziargyriou, and A. Dimeas, "Microgrids Management-Controls and Operation Aspects of Microgrids," IEEE Power and Energy Mag., vol. 6, pp. 54-65, May-Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPE.2008.918702
- J. C. Vasquez, J. M. Guerrero, J. Miret, M. Castilla, L. and Garcia de Vicuna, "Hierarchical Control of Intelligent Microgrids," IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., vol. 4, pp. 23-29, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/MIE.2010.938720
- J.-Y. Kim, J.-H. Jeon, S.-K. Kim, C. Cho, J. H. Park, H.-M. Kim, and K.-Y. Nam, "Cooperative Control Strategy of Energy Storage System and Microsources for Stabilizing the Microgrid during Islanded Operation," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 25, pp. 3037-3048, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2010.2073488
- Y. Mohamed, and E.F. El-Saadany, "Adaptive Decentralized Droop Controller to Preserve Power Sharing Stability of Paralleled Inverters in Distributed Generation Microgrids," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 23, pp. 2806-2816, Nov. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2005100
- Y. W. Li, and C.-N. Kao, "An Accurate Power Control Strategy for Power-Electronics-Interfaced Distributed Generation Units Operating in a Low-Voltage Multibus Microgrid," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 24, pp. 2977-2988, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2022828
- J. M. Guerrero, L. G. de Vicuna, J. Matas, M. Castilla, and J. Miret, "A wireless controller to enhance dynamic performance of parallel inverters in distributed generation systems," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 19, pp. 1205-1213, Sep. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2004.833451
- Connected Characteristics for Small Generation Source of Low Voltage Model Grids vol.27, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5207/JIEIE.2013.27.2.045