- Volume 60 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Assessment on the Sound Quality of Reduced Frequency Selectivity of Hearing Impaired People
난청인의 주파수 선택도 둔화현상이 음질에 미치는 영향 평가
- 안홍섭 (인하대학교 전자공학과) ;
- 박규석 (인하대학교 전자공학과) ;
- 전유용 (인하대학교 전자공학과) ;
- 송영록 (인하대학교 정보전자공동연구소) ;
- 이상민 (인하대학교, 전자공학과, 인하대학교 정보전자 공동연구소)
- Received : 2011.05.11
- Accepted : 2011.05.20
- Published : 2011.06.01
The reduced frequency selectivity is a typical phenomenon of sensorineural hearing loss. In this paper, we compared two modeling methods for reduced frequency selectivity of hearing impaired people. The two models of reduced frequency selectivity were made using LPC(linear prediction coding) algorithm and bandwidth control algorithm based on ERB(equivalent rectangular bandwidth) of auditory filter, respectively. To compare the effectiveness of two models, we compared the result of PESQ (perceptual evaluation of speech quality) and LLR(log likelihood ratio) using 36 Korean words of two syllables. To verify the effect on noise condition, we mixed white and babble noise with 0dB and -3dB SNR to speech words. As the result, it is confirmed that the PESQ score of bandwidth control algorithm is higher than the score of LPC algorithm, on the other hands, and the LLR score of LPC algorithm is lower than the score of bandwidth control algorithm. It means that both non-linearity and widen auditory filter characteristics caused by reduced frequency selectivity could be more reflected in bandwidth control algorithm than in LPC algorithm.
- Brian C. J. Moore and Brian R. Glasberg, "Simulation of the effects of loudness recruitment and threshold elevation on the intelligibility of speech in quiet and in a background of speech," Acoustical Society of america., vol, 94, no. 4, 1993, pp. 2050-2062. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.407478
- 주상익, 강현덕, 송영록 and 이상민, "난청인의 주파수 선택도와 비대칭적 청각 필터를 고려한 난청 시뮬레이터 개발에 관한 연구", 전기학회논문지, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 831-840, 2010.
- Thomas Baer and Brian C. J. Moore, "Effects of spectral smearing on the intelligibility of sentences in noise," Acoustical Society of America., vol.94, pp. 1229-1241, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.408176
- Glasberg, B.R., and Brian C. J. Moore, "Auditory filter shapes in subjects with unliateral and bilateral cochlea impairments". Acoust Society of America., vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 1020-33, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.393374
- R. Munkong, B.-H. Juang, "Auditory perception and cognition", IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 98-117, 2008.
- Gelfand, S. A. "Hearing: an introduction to psychological and physiological acoustics", (4th ed.). New York, Marcel Dekker, ISBN 0-585-26606-9, 2004.
- Moore, B. C. J. "Cochlear hearing loss", London, Whurr Publishers Ltd, ISBN 0-585-12256-3, 1998.
- Glasberg, B.R., and Brian C. J. Moore, "Derivation of auditory filter shapes form notched-noise data," Hearing Research., vol.47, pp. 103-118 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-5955(90)90170-T
- A. M. Kondoz, "Digital Speech, coding for low bit rate communication system Second Edition", West Sussex, John Wiley & sons Ltd, ISBN 0-470-87007-9(HB), 2004.
- ITU-T, "Perceptual Evaluation of Speech Quality(PESQ), an Objective Method for End-to-end Speech Quality Assessment of Narrowband Telephone Network and Speech Codecs", ITU-T Rec. P.862 Feb. 2001.
- Beerends, J. G., Hekstra, A. P., Rix, A. W. and Hollier, M. P. "Perceptual Evaluation of Speech Quality (PESQ), the new ITU standard for end-to-end speech quality assessment, part II - psychoacoustic model", Journal of the Audio Engineering Society, vol. 50, no. 10, pp. 765-778, October 2002.
- Philipos C. Loizou, "Speech Enhancement", CRC Press, ISBN 978-0-8493-5032-0, 2007.
- A Variable Step-Size Adaptive Feedback Cancellation Algorithm based on GSAP in Digital Hearing Aids vol.62, pp.12, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5370/KIEE.2013.62.12.1744