- Volume 16 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Introduction of the Rapid Analysis Method for PCBs in Insulating Oils and Its Comparison Study to the Analysis Method in Korea
- Hong, Jang-Ho (Department of Environmental Science for Industry, Ehime University) ;
- Takahashi, Tomohumi (Department of Environmental Science for Industry, Ehime University) ;
- Ishizaka, Takahiro (Department of Environmental Science for Industry, Ehime University) ;
- Toita, Hideki (Department of Environmental Science for Industry, Ehime University) ;
- Min, Byung-Yoon (Department of Environmental Engineering, Kyungnam University) ;
- Honda, Katsuhisa (Department of Environmental Science for Industry, Ehime University)
- Received : 2010.12.17
- Accepted : 2011.02.28
- Published : 2011.03.30
The aim of this research was to introduce a new rapid analysis method (heating of the multi-layer silica gel column/alumina column) for polychlorinated biphenyls in insulating oils, and to compare our new method with the analytical method currently used in Korea. The entire pretreatment procedure was completed within 2 hr, using about only 20 mL of solvents via our rapid analytical method. Furthermore, the pretreatment procedure can always be uniformly performed, regardless of oil type (JIS 1~JIS 7 and KS 1~KS 7). The recovery rates were more than 89%, with relative standard deviations below 6.0%. In conclusion, this rapid analytical method could reduce the pretreatment time and solvent usage by 1/10 and between 1/25 and 1/50, respectively, compared to analytical method currently used in Korea.
- Takada M, Toda H, Uchida R. A new rapid method for quantification of PCBs in transformer oil. Chemosphere 2001;43:455-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(00)00394-5
- Kim KS, Song BJ, Oh JK, et al. Contamination characteristics of PCBs in transformer oil in Korea. In: Proceedings of the 16th Symposium on Environmental Chemistry; 2007 Jun 20-22; Kitakyushu, Japan. p. 418-419.
- Kim KS, Hirai Y, Kato M, Urano K, Masunaga S. Detailed PCB congener patterns in incinerator flue gas and commercial PCB formulations (Kanechlor). Chemosphere 2004;55:539-553. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2003.11.056
- Luthy RG, Dzombak DA, Shannon MJR, Unterman R, Smith JR. Dissolution of PCB congeners from an aroclor and an aroclor/hydraulic oil mixture. Water Res. 1997;31:561-573. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(96)00261-8
- Seok J, Hwang KY. Thermo-chemical destruction of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in waste insulating oil. J. Hazard. Mater. 2005;124:133-138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.04.035
- Park SU, Nam CH, Park HJ. The development of rapid analytical method for PCBs in transformer oils. In: Proceedings of the Korean Institute of Electrical Engineering; 2008 Nov 11; Seoul, Korea. : Korean Institute of Electrical Engineering; 2008. p. 136-138.
- Ryoo KS, Byun SH, Choi JH. Destruction and removal of PCBs in waste transformer oil by a chemical dechlorination process. Bull. Korean Chem. Soc. 2007;28:520-528. https://doi.org/10.5012/bkcs.2007.28.4.520
- Gobas FAPC, Z’Graggen MN, Zhang X. Time response of the lake ontario ecosystem to virtual elimination of PCBs. Environ. Sci. Technol. 1995;29:2038-2046. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00008a024
- Singh A, Kremers W. Radiolytic dechlorination of polychlorinated biphenyls in transformer oil and in marine sediment. Radiat. Phys. Chem. 2002;65:473-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-806X(02)00359-6
- Takahashi T, Honda K. Rapid pretreatment for measurement of PCB in insulating oil by instrumental analysis. In: Proceedings of the 17th Symposium on Environmental Chemistry; 2008 Jun 11-13; Kobe, Japan. p. 70-71.
- Park JA, Sun IS, Kee JH. The study of analysis the polychlorinated biphenyls in oils as cleaning methods. In: Proceedings of the 2nd Korea-Japan Symposium on Environmental Chemistry; 2010 Nov 3-5; Seoul, Korea. p. 304.
- Takahashi T, Nojima H, Honda K. Rapid pretreatment of PCB pollution oil for immunoassay. In: Proceedings of the 16th Symposium on Environmental Chemistry; 2007 Jun 20-22; Kitakyushu, Japan. p. 62-63.
- Fujita. H, Hamada N, Honda K. Investigation of purification method by heating multilayer silica gel column in dioxins analysis. J. Environ. Chem. 2005;15:117-128. https://doi.org/10.5985/jec.15.117
- Miyawaki K, Hamada N, Honda K. A study of the sample analysis method for dioxins in soils: the separation of polychlorinated naphthalenes in soil sample. In: Proceedings of the 14th Symposium on Environmental Chemistry; 2005 Jun 15-17; Osaka, Japan. p. 364-365.
- Richter BE, Jones BA, Ezzell JL, Porter NL, Avdalovic N, Pohl C. Accelerated solvent extraction: A technique for sample preparation. Anal. Chem. 1996;68:1033-1039. https://doi.org/10.1021/ac9508199
- Richter BE, Ezzell JL, Knowles DE, et al. Extraction of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and polychlorinated dibenzofurans from environmental samples using accelerated solvent extraction (ASE). Chemosphere 1997;34:975-987. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(97)00400-1
- Ministry of Environment. Waste official method. Gwacheon: Ministry of Environment; 2004.
- Dechlorination and decomposition of Aroclor 1242 in real waste transformer oil using a nucleophilic material with a modified domestic microwave oven vol.16, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10163-013-0185-y