- Volume 35 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Basic Experiment on Rehabilitation of Upper-Limb Motor Function Using Haptic-Device System
햅틱 장치를 이용한 상지 운동기능 장애인의 재활치료에 관한 기초 실험
- Lee, Ho-Kyoo (Dept. of Human Environment Design Faculty of Human Life Design Toyo Univ.) ;
- Kim, Young-Tark (Dept, of Mechanical Engineering, Chung Ang Univ.) ;
- Takahashi, Yoshiyuki (Dept. of Human Environment Design Faculty of Human Life Design Toyo Univ.) ;
- Miyoshi, Tasuku (Dept. of Mechanical System Engineering, Iwate Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Suzuki, Keisuke (Rehabilitation Dept., Tokyo Teishin Hospital) ;
- Komeda, Takashi (College of Systems Engineering and Science, Shibaura Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2010.01.21
- Accepted : 2011.02.13
- Published : 2011.05.01
Rehabilitation exercises must maintain a patient's interest and permit a quantitative evaluation of the rehabilitation. We have developed a haptic-device system. When users move a grip, the haptic device provides a virtual force that either assists the movement of their arm or working against it. To investigate the functional effect of this system in a rehabilitation program, we used for five subjects with motor-function disorders and measured the grip position, velocity, force exerted on the grip, and EMG activities during a reaching task of one subject. The accuracy of the grip position, velocity and trajectories patterns were similar for all the subjects. The results suggested that the EMG activities were improved by applying the virtual force to the grip. These results can be used for the development of rehabilitation programs and evaluation methods.
Haptic Device;Rehabilitation;Stroke Patients;Upper Limb
- Kazuto, A., Eiichi, S., Kozo, H., Ken, K., Kazuhisa, D., Eiji, M., Akio, K. and Naoichi, C., 1992, "Comprehensive Assessment of Physical Function in Stroke Patients by Fugl-Meyer Physical Performance Scale," The Japanese Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 131-136. https://doi.org/10.2490/jjrm1963.29.131
- Krebs, H.I., Hogan, N., Aisen, M.L. and Volpe, B.T., 1998, "Robot-Aided Neurorehabilitation, Rehabilitation Engineering," IEEE Transactions, Vol.6, pp.75-87. https://doi.org/10.1109/86.662623
- Bardorfer, A., Munih, M., Zupan, A. and Primozic, A., 2001, "Upper Limb Motion Analysis Using Haptic Interface," IEEE/ASME Transactions of Mechatronics, Vol.6, No.3, pp. 253-260. https://doi.org/10.1109/3516.951363
- Lum, P.S., Burgar, C.G., Shor, P.C., Majmundar, M. and der Loos, M.N., 2002, "Robot-Assisted Movement Training Compared with Conventional Therapy Techniques for the Rehabilitation of Upper-Limb Motor Function After Stroke," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.83, pp.952-959. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2001.33101
- Koyanagi, K., Furusho, F., Ryu, U. and Inoue, A., 2003, "Rehabilitation System with 3-D Eexercise Machine for Upper Limb," Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Proc. 2003 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Vol.2, pp.1222-1227. https://doi.org/10.1109/AIM.2003.1225517
- Armstrong, T. J., Buckle, P., Fine, L. J., Harberg, M., Jonsson, B., Kilbom, A., Kuorinka, I. A. A., Silverstein, B. A., Sjogaard, G. and Viikari-Juntura, E. R. A., 1993, "A Conceptual Model for Work-related Neck and Upper-limb Musculoskeletal Disorders," Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 73-84. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.1494
- Lee, H., Takahashi, Y., Terada, T., Inoue, K., Ito, Y. and Komeda, T., 2003, "Development of The Haptic Device System for Upper-Limb Rehabilitation," The 8th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics ICORR Proceedings of the ICORR 2003 , pp.204-207.
- Ryu, J.-H., Kim, J.-H., Seo, C.-H., Lim, Y.-A. and Kim, J.-P., 2009, "A Survey of Haptic Control Technology," Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers A, V0l.33, No.4, pp. 283-295. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2009.33.4.283
- Brunnstrom, S., 1970, "Movement Therapy in Hemiplegia; A Neurophysiological Approach," Harper & Row, New York.
- Lee, H., Takahashi, Y., Miyoshi, T., Terada, T., Inoue, K., Ito, Y., Ikeda, Y. and Komeda, T., 2003, "Control The Haptic Device for The Application in Upper Limb Rehabilitation," Proc. of 6th JFCM 2003, Vol. 1, pp.141-146.
- Lee, H., Takahashi, Y., Miyoshi, T., Terada, T., Inoue, K., Ito, Y., Ikeda, Y., Suzuki, K. and Komeda, T., 2005, "Basic Experiments of Upper Limb Rehabilitation Using Haptic Device System," Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE 9th International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics 2005, pp. 444-447. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICORR.2005.1501138
- Miyoshi, T., Takahashi, Y., Lee, H., Suzuki, T. and Komeda, T., 2010, "Upper Limb Neurorehabilitation in Stroke Patients Using Haptic Device System: Reciprocal Bi-articular Muscle Activities Reflect as a Result of Iimproved Circle-drawing Smoothness,” Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology, Vol. 5, No.5, pp. 370-375. https://doi.org/10.3109/17483100903437633
- Miyoshi, T., Takahashi, Y., Lee, H., Terada, T., Ito, Y., Inoue, K. and Komeda, T., 2007, "Haptic Device System for Upper Limb Motor Impair Patients: Developing and Handling in Healthy Subjects," Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 319-336
- Polit, A. and Bizzi, E., 1979, "Characteristics of The Motor Programs Underlying Arm Movements in Monkeys,” The Journal of Neurophysiology, Vol. 42, pp. 183-194. https://doi.org/10.1152/jn.1918.104.22.168
- Bizzi, E., Accornero, N., Chapple, W. and Hogan, N., 1984, "Posture Control and Trajectory Formation During Arm Movement," The Journal of Neuroscience Vol. 4, No. 11, pp. 2738-2744.
- Flash, T. and Hogan, N., 1985, "The Coordination of Arm Movements: An Experimentally Confirmed Mathemat-ical Model," Journal of Neuroscience, Vol. 5, pp. 1688-1703.
- Kawato, M., Furukawa, K. and Suzuki, R., 1987, "A Hierarchical Neural-Network Model for Control and Learning of Voluntary Movement,” Biological Cybernetics, Vol. 57, pp. 169-185. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00364149
- Kotteke, F.J., 1990, "Therapeutic Exercise to Develop Neuromuscular Coordination," In Krusen’s Handbook of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, pp. 452-479.
- Kawato, M., 1995, "Motor Learning in The Brain, "The Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 11-19. https://doi.org/10.7210/jrsj.13.11
- Sonoda, S., Saitoh, E., Nagai, S., Kawakita, M. and Kanada, Y., 2004, “Full-time Integrated Treatment Program, a New System for Stroke Rehabilitation in Japan: Comparison with Conventional Rehabilitation.” Am J Phys Med Rehabil. Vol. 83, No. 2, pp. 88-93. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PHM.0000107481.69424.E1
- Verkerk, P.H., Schouten, J.P. and Oosterhuis, H.J. G.H., 1990, "Measurement of the Hand Coordination," Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, 92: pp. 105-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/0303-8467(90)90084-I
- The Cybernetic Rehabilitation Aid: Preliminary Results for Wrist and Elbow Motions in Healthy Subjects vol.20, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1109/TNSRE.2012.2198496