- Volume 35 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Study on Flow Characteristics and Discharge Coefficient of Safety Valve for LNG/LNG-FPSO Ships
LNG / LNG-FPSO 선박용 안전밸브의 유동특성 및 유출계수에 관한 연구
- Kim, Sung-Jin (Dept. of Creative Engineering System, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Jung, Sung-Yuen (Research Institute of Mechanical Technology, Pusan Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Kim, Dang-Ju (Research Institute, Korval Co., Ltd.) ;
- Kim, Chul (Research Institute of Mechanical Technology, Pusan Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2010.09.06
- Accepted : 2011.02.25
- Published : 2011.05.01
The safety valve used in LNG/LNG-FPSO ships plays an important role in maintaining a fixed level of pressure by emitting LNG gas out of the pipes in the LNG piping system. The discharge coefficient is regarded as the most important factor in the valve performance. To satisfy the ship's classification, the discharge coefficient of the safety valve must usually be over 0.8. Despite the importance of understanding the flow phenomena inside the safety valve, the valve design is usually based on experience and experiments. We carried out a computational fluid dynamics (CFD) investigation using the ANSYS-CFX software. We observed the flow phenomena inside the valve and measured the discharge coefficients according to changes in the valve lift, which is the distance between the exit of the nozzle and the lower part of the disc plate. We verified our CFD results for the discharge coefficients using available experimental data.
Safety Valve;Discharge Coefficient;Compressible Flow;Computation Fluid Dynamics;Shock Wave
- Jeong, H. S., Kim, Y. H., Cho, J. R., Kim, J. H., Kim, J. R. and Park, J. H., 2007, "A Study on Structural Design of Cryogenic Miniature Globe Valve using Finite Element Method," J. of KOSME, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 343-349.
- Park, Y. C., Park, H. S and Kim, S. B, 2008, “Analysis method on Structural Safety Evaluation of Butterfly Valve of Piping for LNG carrier,” J. of KSMPE, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 76-81.
- Reid, J. and Stewart, C. D., 1988, “A Review of Critical Flow Nozzles for the Mass Flow Measurement of Gases,” Proc. Of 2nd International Symposium on Fluid Control Measurement Mechanics and Flow Visualization, Sheffield, England, pp. 454-458.
- Brain, T. J. S. and Reid, J., 1973, “Performance of Small Diameter Cylindrical Critical-flow Nozzles,” NEL Report No.546.
- Brake, K. A., Kinghorn, F. c. and Stevenson, R., 1981, “The Design of Flow Straightener/Nozzle Packages for Acceptance Testing Air Compressors and Exhausters,” NEL Report No. 673.
- Park, K. A., 1994 “Effects of Inlet Shapes of Critical Sonic Nozzles on Discharge Coefficients,” J. of ASME, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 701-706.
- Yoo, S. Y., Lee, S. Y. And Park, K. A., 1996, “Factors Influencing on the Discharge Coefficients of Sonic Nozzle,” J. of ASME, Vol. 20, No. 12, pp. 4027-4035.
- ANSYS CFX 11.0 User’s Manual, ANSYS, Inc.
- CFD Analysis on the Flow Characteristics with Flow Coefficient in a PFA Lined Ball Valve for Different Opening Degrees vol.17, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5293/kfma.2014.17.4.076
- A Study on the Flow Analysis of Back Flow Prevention Type Cryogenic Check Valve vol.22, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.9726/kspse.2018.22.5.105