- Volume 11 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Feedback Methods and Ambulatory Assistive Aids on Accuracy of Partial Weight Bearing
되먹임과 보행보조도구의 형태가 30%체중지지의 정확성에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2010.10.05
- Accepted : 2010.12.13
- Published : 2011.04.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate effect of feedback methods and ambulatory assistive aids on accuracy of partial weight bearing in healthy adults. Twenty subjects were recruited and trained to 30% weight bearing of body weight (BW) using 3-point gait crutches and wheeled walker pattern. Dynamic feedback group (n=11) was received dynamic postresponse feedback and static group (n=9) received static feedback. Force plate was used to measure %BW and GAITRite used to measure gait parameters in immediately and after 3 days of training. Immediately after training, there was not significantly at 30%BW target load in dynamic group with crutch gait (p>.05). There were significantly differences in %BW according to feedback methods and ambulatory aids (p<.05). There was not significant difference between immediately and after 3 days of training (p>0.05). There were significantly differences in gait velocity and stance ratio between crutches and wheeled walker gait (p<.05). Thus, it was suggested that if possible, use crutches, training for partial weight bearing via dynamic feedback is necessary.
- A. Vasarhelyi, T. Baumert, C. Fritsch, W. Hopfenmuller, G. Gradl, and T. Mittlmeier, "Partial weight bearing after surgery for fractures of the lower extremity: Is it achievable?," Gait & Posture, Vol.23, No.1, pp.99-105, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2004.12.005
- M. H. Cameron and L. G. Monroe, "Physical Rehabilitation: Evidence-based examination, evaluation, and intervention", St. Louis, Saunders Co., pp.209-210, 2007.
- W. B. Robertson, H. Gilbey, and T. Ackland, Standard practice exercise rehabilitation protocols for Matrix Induced Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation Femoral Condyles, Hollywood Functional Rehabilitation Clinic Pub, 2004.
- G. Rubin, O. Monder, R. Zohar, A. Oster, O. Konra, and N. Rozen, "Toe-touch weight bearing: myth or reality?," Orthopedics, Vol.11, No.10, p.729, 2010.
- H. L. Hurkmans, J. B. Bussmann, R. W. Selles, E. Benda, H. J. Stam, and J. A. Verhaar, "The difference between actual and prescribed weight bearing of total hip patients with a trochanteric osteotomy: Long term vertical force measurements inside and outside the hospital," Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.88, No.2, pp.200-206, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.11.005
- H. L. Hurkmans, J. B. Bussmann, E. Benda, J. A. Haisma, J. A. Verhaar, and H. J. Stam, "Predictors of partial weight-bearing performance after total hip arthroplasty," J. Rehabilitation Medicine, Vol.42, No.1, pp.242-48, 2010.
- F. B. Gray, C. Gray, and J. W. McClanahan, "Assessing the accuracy of partial weightbearing instruction," American Journal of orthopedics, Vol.27, No.8, pp.558-560, 1998.
- J. J. Gapsis, M. Grabois, R. M. Borrell, S. A, Menken, and M. Kelly, "Limb load monitor: Evaluation of a sensory feedback device for controlled weight bearing," Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.63, No.1, pp.38-41, 1982.
- A. Malviya, J. Richards, R. K. Jones, A. Udwadia, and J. Doyle, "Reproducibilty of partial weight bearing," Injury, Vol.36, No.4, pp.556-559, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2004.10.004
- J. R. Ebert, T. R. Ackland, D. G. Lloyd, and D. J. Wood, "Accuracy of partial weight bearing after autologous chondrocyte implantation," Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.89, No.8, pp.1528-1534, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2008.02.019
- H. V. Dabke, S. K. Gupta, C. A. Holt, P. O'Callaghan, and C. M. Dent, "How accurate is partial weight bearing?," Clinical orthopaedics and related research, Vol.421, pp.282-286, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000127116.13377.65
- A. Vasarhelyi, T. Baumert, C. Fritsch, W. Hopfenmuller, G. Gradl, and T. Mittlmeier. "Partial weight bearing after surgery for fractures of the lower extremity: Is it achievable?," Gait & Posture, Vol.23, No.1, pp.99-105, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2004.12.005
- I. Klopfer-Kramer and P. Augat. "Partial weight-bearing in rehabilitation: Strategies for instruction and limitations," Der Unfallchirurg. Vol.113, No.1, pp.14-20, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00113-009-1717-8
- B. C. Clark, T. M. Manini, N. R. Ordway, and L. L. Ploutz-Snyder, "Leg muscle activity during walking with assistive devices at varying levels of weight bearing," Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.85, No.9, pp.1555-1560, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2003.09.011
- S. Li, C. W. Armstrong, and D. Cipriani, "Three-point gait crutch walking: Variability in ground reaction force during weight bearing," Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.82, No.1, pp.86-92, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2001.16347
- J. W. Youdas, B. J. Kotajarvi, D. J. Padjett, K. and R. Kaufman, "Partial weight bearing gait using conventional assistive devices," Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.86, No.3, pp.94-39, 2005.
- T. Perren and P. Matter, "Feedback-controlled weight bearing following osteosynthesis of the lower extremity," Swiss Surgery, Vol.2, No.6, pp.252-258, 2001.
- 김장환, 박윤서, 송준찬, 의지.보조기학, 탑메디오피아, 2006.
- J. R. Ebert, D. G. Lloyd, A. Smith, T. Ackland, and D. J. Wood, "The association between external-ground-reaction force and knee-joint kinetics during partial and full-weight-bearing gait," Clinical Biomechanics, Vol.25, No.4, pp.359-364, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2009.12.013
- C. J. Winstein, P. S. Pohl, C. Cardinale, A. Green, L. Scholtz, and C. S. Waters, "Learning a partial-weight-bearing skill: Effectiveness of two forms of feedback," Physical Therapy, Vol.76, No.9, pp.985-993, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/76.9.985
- A. Shumway-Cook and M. H. Woollacott, Motor Control: Theory and practical application, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2001.
- Z. Pataky, D. De Leon Rodriguez, A. Golay, M. Assal, J. P. Assal, and C. A. Hauert, "Biofeedback training for partial weight bearing in patients after total hip arthroplasty," Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Vol.90, No.8, pp.1435-1438, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2009.02.011
- C. G. Holder, E. M. Haskvitz, and A. Weltman. "The effects of assistive devices on the oxygen cost, cardiovascular stress, and perception of nonweight-bearing ambulation," J. Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, Vol.18, No.4, pp.537-542, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1918.104.22.1687
- T. Ishikura, "Biomechanical analysis of weight bearing force and muscle activation levels in the lower extremities during gait with a walker," Acta Medica Okayama, Vol.55, No.2, pp.73-82, 2001.