- Volume 11 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Muscle Sizes from Ultrasound Images and Endurance Time with/without Experience of Low Back Pain : Pattern of Recruiting Trunk Muscles
요통경험 유무에 따른 초음파 영상에서 측정된 근육크기와 근지구력 시간과의 관계: 유지 시간에 따라 동원된 체간근육 특성
- Received : 2011.03.09
- Accepted : 2011.03.31
- Published : 2011.04.28
The purpose of the study was to examine the thickness of the trunk muscles ie. external obliques (EO), transversus abdominis (TrA), and multifidus and the trunk endurance strength in order to determine any relationship between the presence or absence of low back pain (LBP) and the size of trunk muscles. Data were obtained from 50 subjects, aged between 19-29 years. Participants had no experience of spinal problems that had resulted in a restriction of normal activity or time-off work and no current spinal symptoms. Measurements of muscle thickness of the trunk muscles were collected at rest, contraction and 15 seconds of post contraction during endurance strength tests. Background information was obtained followed all physical measures. Subjects were divided into two groups based on their experience of LBP. In draw-in maneuver, increasing the thickness of TrA was observed in all participants while EO was decreased at contraction in group 1 and increase in group 2. Only subjects in the group 2 had TrA increased during the flexion endurance test. In the side-bridge endurance test, the thickness of the right TrA was also observed differently between groups. Therefore, the results of the study may suggest that a function of specific muscle should be addressed for training persons with LBP.
Ultrasound Image;External Obliques;Transversus Abdominis;Multifidus;Low Back Pain
- A. Indahl, L. Velund, and O. Reikeraas, "Good prognosis for low back pain when left untampered," Spine, Vol.20, No.4, pp.437-477, 1995.
- D. Urquhart, P. Barker, P. Hodges, I Story, C. Briggs, "Regional morpholopy of the transversus abdominis and oblique internus and extrenus abdominis muscles," Clin Biomech, Vol.20, No.3, pp.233-241, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2004.11.007
- S. Biering, "Physical measurements as risk indicators for low back trouble over a one year period," Spine. Vol.9, No.2, pp.106-118, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198403000-00002
- T. Mayer, H. Vanharant, and R. Gatchel, "Comparison of CT scan muscle measurements and isokinetic trunk strength in postoperative patients," Spine. Vol.14, No.1, pp.33-36, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198901000-00006
- D. Long, B. Debba, and W. Torgenson, "Persistent back pain and sciatica in the United States: patient characteristics," J Spinal Disord. Vol.9, No.1, pp.40-58, 1996.
- H. Wilke, S. Wolf, L. Claes, M. Arand, and A. Wiesend, "Stability increase of the lumbar spine with different muscle groups," Spine. Vol.20, No.2, pp.192-198, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199501150-00011
- C. Richardson, P. Hodges, and J. Hides, "Therapeutic exercise for lumbopelvic stabilization," Churchill Livingstone, 1999.
- J. Cholewicki and S. McGill, "Mechanical stability of the in vivo lumbar spin: implications for injury and chronic low back pain," Clin Biomech, Vol.11, No.1, pp.1-15, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0268-0033(95)00035-6
- S. McGill, A. Childs, and C. Liebenson, "Endurance times for low back stabilization exercises: clinical targets for testing and training from a normal database," Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.80, No.8, pp.941-945, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(99)90087-4
- M. Bilodeau, I. Schinder, D. Williamas, R. Chandran, and S. Sharma, "EMG frequency content changes with increasing force and during fatigue in the quadriceps femoris muscle of men and women," J Elecromyogr Kinesiol, Vol.13, No.1, pp.83-92, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-6411(02)00050-0
- D. Moore, J. Drouin, B. Gansneder, and S. Shultz, "The differential effects of fatigue on reflex response timing and amplitude in males and females," J Electromyogr Kinesiol, Vol.12, No.5, pp.351-360, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-6411(02)00032-9
- H. Koyuncuoglu, S. Kutluhan, A Yesildag, O. Oyar, K. Guler, and A. Ozden, "The value of ultrasonographic measurement in carpal tunnel syndrome in patients with negative electro-diagnostic tests," Eur J Radiol. Vol.56, No.3, pp.365-369, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2005.05.013
- K. Karamanidis and A. Arampatzis, "Mechanical and morphological properties of human quadriceps femoris and triceps surae muscletendon unit in relation to aging and running," J Biomechanics. Vol.39, No.3, pp.406-417, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2004.12.017
- N. Maurits, A. Bollen, A. Windhausen, A. De Jager, and J. Van Der Hoeven, "Muscles ultrasound analysis: normal values and differentiation between myopathies and neuropathies," Ultrasound Med Biol. Vol.29, No.2, pp.215-225, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-5629(02)00758-5
- J. Hides, C. Richardson, and G Jull, "Multifidus muscle recovery is not automatic after resolution of acute first-episode low back pain," Spine, Vol.21, No.23, pp.2763-2769, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199612010-00011
- S. Bunce, A Moore, and A. Hough, "M-mode ultrasound: a reliable measure of transversus abdominis thickness?," Clin Biomech, Vol.17, No.4, pp.315-317, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(02)00011-6
- C. Richardson, I. Wong, S. Wilson, D. Belavy, and J. Hides, "Assessment of abdominal muscle function during a simulated unilateral weight-bearing task using ultrasound imaging," J orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol.37, No.8, pp.467-471, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2007.2417
- P. Hodges, S. Pengel, R. Herbert, and S. Gandevia, "Measurement of muscle contraction with ultrasound imaging," Muscle Nerve, Vol.27, No.6, pp.682-692, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.10375
- H. Lee, L Nicholson, and R. Adams, "Cervical range of motion associations with subclinical neck pain," Spine, Vol.29, No.1, pp.33-40, 2003.
- J. McMeeken, I. Beith, D. Newham, P. Milligan and D. Critchley, "The relationship between EMG and change in thickness of transversus abdominis. Clin Biomech," Vol.19, No.4, pp.337-342, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2004.01.007
- N. Raney, D. Teyhen, and J. Childs, "Observed changes in lateral abdominal muscle thickness after spinal manipulation: a case series using rehabilitative ultrasound imaging," J orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol.37, No.8, pp.472-479, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2007.2523
- J. Whittaker, D. Teyhen, P. Hodges, J. Hides, and N. Gill, "Rehabilitative ultrasound imaging of the abdominal muscles," J orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol.38, No.8, pp.450-466, 2007.
- K. Kiesel, A. Nitz, T. Malone, F. Underwood, and C. Matacolla, "A comparison select trunk muscle thickness change between subjects with low back pain classified in the classification system and asymptomatic," J orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol.37, No.10, pp.596-607, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2007.2574
- T. Ito, O. Shirado, H. Suzuki, M. Takahashi, K. Kaneda, and T. Strax, "Lumbar trunk muscle endurance testing: an inexpensive alternative to a machine for evaluation," Arch Phys Med Rehabil Vol.77, No.1, pp.75-79, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(96)90224-5
- J. Hebert, S. Koppenhaver, J. Magel, and J. Fritz, "The relationship of transversus abdominis and lumbar multifidus activation and prognostic factors for clinical success with a stabilization exercise program: a cross-sectional study," Arch Phys Med Rehabil. Vol.91, No.1, pp.78-85, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2009.08.146
- K. Van, J. Hides, and C. Richardson, "The use of real-time ultrasound imaging for biofeedback of lumbar multifidus muscle contraction in healthy subjects," J Orthop Sports Phys Ther, Vol.36, No.12, pp.920-925, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2006.2304
- S. Hong, "Physical science: the effects of lumbo-pelvic stabilization exercise with real-time ultrasound imaging on deep lumbar muscle activities in athletes with chronic back pain," Korea Sports Research, Vol.18, No.2, pp.563-572, 2007.
- J. Jeong, K. Kim, and J. Kim, "Age related analysis of ultrasound images of normal skeletal muscle," J Korean Academy of University Trained Physical Therapy, Vol.13, No.1, pp.47-53, 2006.
- S. Seo, "The analysis of ultrasonography on gastrocnemius medialis of patient with stroke," J Korean Soc Phys Ther, Vol.19, No.2, pp.11-19, 2007.
- A. Akbari, S. Khorashadizadeh, and G. Abdi, "The effect of motor control exercise versus general exercise on lumbar local stabilizing muscles thickness: randomizes controlled trial of patients with chronic low back pain," Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation, Vol.21, No.2, pp.105-112, 2008. https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-2008-21206
- D. Critchley and F. Coutts, "Abdominal muscle function in chronic low back pain patients: measurement with real-time ultrasound scanning," Physiotherapy, Vol.88, No.6, pp.322-332, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9406(05)60745-6
- R. Eisele, R. Schmid, L. Kinzl, M. Kramer, P. Katzmaier, and E. Hartwig, "Soft tissue texture analysis by B-mode-ultrasound in the evaluation of impairment in chronic low back pain," European Journal of Ultrasound, Vol.8, No.3, pp.167-175, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0929-8266(98)00073-1
- A. Mannion, N. Pulkovski, D. Gubler, D. O'Riordan, T. Loupas, P. Shenk, H. Gerber, and H. Sprott, "Muscle thickness changes during abdominal hollowing: an assessment of between-day measurement error in controls and patients with chronic low back pain," European Spine Journal, Vol.17, No.4, pp.494-501, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00586-008-0589-x
- Comparing Persons with Neck Pain Experience to Persons without Neck Pain Experience in Deep Neck Muscle Size Using Ultrasonography Images and Neck Muscle Endurance Time vol.11, pp.12, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2011.11.12.326