- Volume 11 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Transformational Leadership and Innovative Behavior
변혁적 리더십과 조직혁신간의 관계
- Received : 2011.02.11
- Accepted : 2011.03.17
- Published : 2011.04.28
This study has three primary purposes, firstly to identify how leader's personal characters influence to his/her transformational leadership, secondly to find how transformational leadership influences to innovative behavior, finally to explore how organizational cultures moderate between transformational leadership and innovative behavior. The first part of the study, based on literature study on transformational leadership, provides insight into what are antecedents, moderators and dependent variable in transformational leadership. Firstly, leader's personal characters are selected as antecedent variables such as extroversion and self-efficacy. Secondly, innovative behavior is introduced as a dependent variable. Thirdly, two types of organizational culture are considered as moderators between leader's personal character and leadership In this study, a comprehensive research model and hypothesis were empirically tested based on data from three types of questionnaires involving 663 employees in Korean organizations. In order to test the hypotheses, we have used Structural Equations Model (SEM) from AMOS7.0. In this analysis, we have employed raw data as it is instead of correlation matrix or covariance matrix. We have tested hypotheses by examining the significance of each path of the model, and gone through the process of testing the goodness of fit of the model itself. The results of statistical analysis show the following. Firstly, one of leader's personalities, self-efficacy has positive effect on his/her transformational leadership, but extroversion does not have positive effect. Secondly, transformational leadership has positive effect on innovative behavior. Finally, there was not any cultural moderating effects between transformational leadership and innovative behavior.
Transformational Leadership;Innovative Behavior;Self-efficacy;Extraversion;Culture
- B. M. Bass, Leadership and performance beyond expectations, NY: Free Press, 1985.
- Bommer, Rich, and Rubin, "Changing attitudes about change: longitudinal effects of transformational leader behavior on employee cynicism about organizational change," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.26, pp.733-753, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.342
- 윤대혁, 정순태, "변혁적 리더십이 조직시민행동과 조직구성원의 혁신적 행동에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 인적자원관리연구, 제13권, 제3호, pp.139-169, 2006.
- 임준철, 윤정구, "부하에 의해 인지된 상사의 변혁적 및 거래적 리더십이 부하의 혁신 성향에 미치는 영향: 자기 권능감의 매개역할을 중심으로", 인사.조직연구, Vol.7, pp.1-42, 1999.
- M. Hannan and J. Freeman, "Structural Inertia and Organization Change," American Sociological Review, Vol.49, pp.149-164, 1984. https://doi.org/10.2307/2095567
- D. A. Waldman and F. J. Yammarino, "Adding to Contingent-Reward Behavior: The Augmenting Effect of Charismatic Leadership," Group and Organizational Studies, Vol.15, pp.381-394, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1177/105960119001500404
- R. E. Quinn, Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within, Jossey Bass: San Francisco, 1996.
- P. K. Ahmed, "Culture and Climate for Innovation," European Journal of Innovation Management, 11 30: 43. 1998.
- T. A. Judge and J. E. Bono, "Five-Factor Model of Personality and Transformational Leadership," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.855, pp.751-765, 2000.
- R. J. House and J. M. Howell, "Personality and charismatic leadership," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.3, pp.81-108, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(92)90028-E
- 백기복, 조직행동연구, 창민사, 2002.
- M. R. Barrick and M. K. Mount, "The Big Five Personality Dimensions and Job Performance: A Meta-Analysis," Personnel Psychology, Vol.44, pp.1-26, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1991.tb00688.x
- J. R. Hollenbeck, and E. M. Whitener, "Reclaiming personality traits for personnel selection: Self-esteem as an illustrative case", Journal of Management, Vol 14, Issue 1, pp81-91, 1988.
- P. M. Wright, K. M. Kacmar, G. C. McMahan, & K. Deleeuw, "P=f(MxA): Cognitive ability as a moderator of the relationship between personality and job performance", Journal of Management, 1995, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p1129-1139, 1988.
- B. Barry, & G. L. Stewart, Journal of Applied Psychology, VOL.82 NO.1 pp62-78.1997. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.82.1.62
- R. Hogan, Handbook of Industrial Psychology, Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto, CA, 1991.
- P. T. Jr Costa and R. R. McCrae, Revised NEO Personality Inventory NEO-PI-R and NEO Five-Factor Inventory NEO-FFI professional manual, Odessa FL: PAR, 1992.
- M. K. Mount and M. R. Barrick, "The Big Five personality dimensions: Implications for research and practice in human resources management," In G. R. Ferris Ed., Research in personnel and human resources management, Vol,13, pp.153-200, Greenwich, CT: JA Press, 1995.
- H. Eysenk, Biological dimensions of personality, In L.A. PervinEd., Handbook of personality: Theory and Research, pp.244-276, 1990.
- M. R. Barrick, G. Stewart, J. Neubert, and K. Mount, "Relating member ability and personality to work-team processes and team effectiveness," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.83, pp.377-391, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.83.3.377
- R. McCrae and P. Costa, "A Five factor theory of personality," In Pervin, L. John, O.P..Eds., Handbook of personality: Theory and research, 2nd ed., 139-153 New York: Guil ord, 1999.
- A. S. Philips, & A. G. Bedeian, "Leader-follower exchange quality: The role of personal and interpersonal attributes", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 37, Issue 4, p990-1001, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/256608
- C. Silverthorne, "Leadership effectiveness and personality: a cross cultural evaluation," Personality and Individual Difference, Vol.30, pp.303-309, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(00)00047-7
- M. E. Gist, "Self-Efficacy: Implication for Organizational Behavior and Human Resource Management," Academy of Management Review, Vol.12, pp.472-485, 1987,
- A. Bandura, Social learning theory, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1977.
- A. D. Stajkovic, and F. Luthans, "Self-efficacy andwork-related performance: A meta-analysis", Psychological Bulletin, Vol.124, No.2, pp.240-261, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.124.2.240
- A. Bandura, Self-efficacy: The exercise of control, New York: Freeman and Company, 1997.
- S. B. Button, J. E. Mathieu, and K. J. Aikin, "An examination of relative impact of assigned goals and self-efficacy and personal goals and performance over time," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.25, pp.1084-1103, 1996.
- M. A. Mone and D. A. Baker, "A social-cognitive, attributional model of personal goals: An empirical evaluation," Motivation and Emotion, Vol.16, pp.297-321, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00992969
- M. P. Leither, "Copying patterns as predictors of burnout: The function of control and escapist coping patterns," Journal of Organizational Behavior, Vol.12, pp.123-144, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030120205
- G. B. Graen, & T. Scandura, "Toward a psychology of dyadic organizing" In B. Staw, & L. L. Cumming(Eds.), Research in organizational behavior, vol. 9, pp175-208, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press. 1987.
- B. Shamir, R. J. House, & M. B. Arthur, "The motivatonal effects of charismatic leadership: A self-concept based theory", Organization Science, VOL.4 pp577-95, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.4.4.577
- B. M. Bass, and B. J. Avolio, Multifactor Leadership Questionnaire: Short form 6S, Binghamton, NY: Center for Leadership Studies, 1992.
- A. Nahavandi, A. R. Malekzadeh, and D. A. Waldman, The effect of environmental uncertainty on the link between transformational leadership and strategic change, Unpublished manuscript, 1995.
- 이화용, 장영철, "변혁적 리더십이 조직 유효성에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구", 인사관리연구, 제28권, 제4호, pp.215-247, 2004.
- D. Jung, C. Chow, and A. Wu, "The role of transformational leadership in enhancing organizational innovation: Hypotheses and some preliminary findings," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.14, pp.525-544, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(03)00050-X
- E. H. Schein, Organizational Culture and Leadership, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1985.
- G. G. Gordon and N. DiTomaso, "Predicting Corporate Performance from Organizational Culture," Journal of Management Studies, Vol.29, No.6, pp.783-798, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.1992.tb00689.x
- J. M. Howell and C. A. Higgins, "Champions of Technological Innovation," Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol.352, pp.317-341, 1990.
- J. Schin and G. E. McClomb, "Top Executive Leadership and Organizational Innovation: An Investigation of Nonprofit Human Service Organizations," Social Work Administration, Vol.223, pp.1-21, 1998.
- 서인덕, 한국기업의 조직문화유형과 조직특성간의 관련성 연구, 서울대학교 박사학위 논문, 1986.
- R. Harrison, "Understanding your Organization's Character," Harvard Business Review, May-June, pp.25-43, 1972,
- R. E. Quinn and M. R. McGrath, The Transformation of Organizational Cultures : A Competing Values Perspective, in P. J. Frost et al.Eds. Organizational Culture, Beverly Hills, Sage : 315-334, 1984.
- R. A. Jones, N. L. Jimmieson, and A. Griffiths, "The Impact of Organizational Culture and Reshaping Capabilities on Change Implementation Success: The Mediating Role of Readiness for Change," Journal of Management Studies, Vol.42, pp.361-386, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2005.00500.x
- R. F. Zammuto and E. O'Connor. "Gaining Advanced Manufacturing Technologies' Benefits: The Roles of Organization Design and Culture," Academy of Management Review, Vol.17, pp.701-728, 1992.
- S. A. Dellana and R. D. Hauser, "Corporate Culture's Impact on a Strategic Approach to Quality," Mid-American Journal of Business, Vol.15, No1, pp.9-20, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/19355181200000001
- 남승하, "조직의 관리적 혁신의지와 조직성과 간의 관계에 관한 연구", 한국행정학보, 제42권, 제1호, pp.171-196, 2008.
- 이환범, 이수창, 심덕보, "행정조직문화 유형과 지방정부 혁신성간의 실증적 연구", 한국지역혁신논집, 제1권, 제1호, pp.21-39, 2006.
- 신진교, "중소기업의 R&D와 기술혁신: 전략 및 조직문화의 역할", 경영연구, 제22권, 제2호, pp.377-397, 2007.
- P. M. Podsakoff, S. B. MacKenzie, J. Y. Lee, and N. P. Podsakoff, "Common Method Biases in Behavioral Research: A Critical Review of the Literature and Recommended Remedies," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.885, pp.879-903, 2003.
- M. Riggs and P. A. Knight, "The Impact of Perceived Group Success-Failure on Motivational Beliefs and Attitudes: A causal Model," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.79, pp.755-766, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.79.5.755
- J. M. Burns, Leadership. NY: Harper & Row, 1978.
- J. J. Hater and B. M. Bass, "Superior's evolution and subordinates' perceptions of transformational and transactional leadership," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol.73, No.4, pp.695-702, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.73.4.695
- B. J. Avolio, and B. M. Bass, "Individual consideration viewed at multiple levels of analysis: A multi-level framework for examining the diffusion of transformational leadership," Leadership Quarterly, Vol.6, pp.199-218, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(95)90035-7
- 태정원, "우리나라 기업의 조직문화 유형 및 조직유효성과 관련성 연구: 조직구성원의 지각반응을 중심으로", 인사관리연구, Vol.15, pp.227-254, 1991.
- 정인서, 기업문화유형과 조직유효성의 상호관련성에 관한 연구, 조선대학교박사학위 논문, 1992
- S. G. Scott and R. A. Bruce, "Determinants of Innovative Behavior: A Path Model of Individual Innovativeness in the Workplace," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.37, pp.580-607, 1994. https://doi.org/10.2307/256701
- 채서일, 사회과학 조사방법론, 학지사, 1992.
- M. D. Ensley, C. L. Pearce, and K. M. Hmieleski, "The Moderating Effect of Environmental Dynamism on the Relationship between Entrepreneur Leadership Behavior and New Venture Performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Vol.21, pp.243-263, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2005.04.006
- K. J. Klein, B. Lim, J. L. Saltz, & D. M. Mayer, "How do you get there? An examination of the antecedents of centrality in team networks, Academy of Management Journal, 47, pp952-963, 2004. https://doi.org/10.2307/20159634
- S. Aryee, S. Ld, & I. L. Kang, "Antecedents of early career stage mentoring among Chiness employees, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 20, 563-576, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1379(199909)20:5<563::AID-JOB890>3.0.CO;2-#
- 이학식, 임지훈, 구조방정식모형과 AMOS, 법문사, 2008.
- R. C. MacCallum, & S. Hong, "Power analysis in covariance structure modeling using GFI and AGFI". Multivariate Behavioral Research, 32, 193-210. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327906mbr3202_5
- J. Cohen, & P. Cohen, Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for behavioral science, Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1983.
- 서재현, 김정원(2007). "팀과 조직에 대한 후원인식, 조직몰입 그리고 이탈의도 사이의 관계", 인사관리연구, 31(4), pp103-128. 2007.
- Effects of CEO's Leader Style on Quality Management Activities and Financial Performance in Public Performing Arts Theater vol.13, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2013.13.05.170
- The Mediating Effects of Self-efficacy on the Relationship between Transformational Leadership and Job Performance vol.15, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.01.427