- Volume 11 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationship between the HVM and Cut-Off Level of Means-End Chain
수단-목적사슬(Means-End)이론의 컷오프(Cut-off) 수준과 가치 맵(Hierarchical Value Map)의 관계 분석
- Received : 2010.06.25
- Accepted : 2011.04.19
- Published : 2011.04.28
The Means-end theory has successfully been applied in academics circles and is one of the qualitative methodologies, aiming at classifying into groups based on the specific values that they pursue. The more specific purposes of this study is to identify the relationship between the levels of abstraction and HVM(Hierarchical Value Map) and to identify the statistical changes in frequency activated cell and ladders among A-C-V. And lastly, to suggest the HVM according to the levels of abstraction. The subjects of this study includes the 100 hikers who joined the hiking at least once a year for 2007. The results of analysis show that as the level of abstraction goes up, the HVM itself is depicted more simple and the loss of information is also occurred. Consequently, the decision of levels of abstraction is should be made on the basis of objective validity.
- J. Gutman, "A means-end model based on consumer categorization processes," Journal of Marketing, Vol.46(Spring), pp.60-72, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/3203341
- J. C. Olson and T. J. Reynolds, "The means-end approach to understanding consumer decision making(pp.3-20)," In T. J. Reynolds and J. C. Olson(Eds.). Understanding consumer decision making(pp.3-23). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2001.
- R. P. Bagozzi and P. A. Dabholkar, "Discursive psychology : An alternative conceptual foundation to means-end chain theory," Psychology & Marketing, Vol.17, No.7, pp.535-586, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1520-6793(200007)17:7<535::AID-MAR1>3.0.CO;2-H
- A. Herrmann, F. Huber, and C. Braunstein, "Market-driven product and service design: Bridging the gap between customer needs, quality management, and customer satisfaction," International Journal of Production economics, Vol.66, pp.77-96, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-5273(99)00114-0
- R. P. Bagozzi, M. Gopinach, and U. P. Nyer, "The role of emotions in marketing," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Vol.27, pp.184-206, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070399272005
- K. G. Grunert and S. C. Beckmann, "A comparative analysis of the influence of economic culture on east and West German consumers' subjective product meaning," Applied Psychology, Vol.48, pp.367-390, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-0597.1999.tb00007.x
- H. Skytte and K. Bove, "The concept retailer value: A means-end chain analysis Agribusiness," Vol.20, No.3, pp.323-345, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/agr.20010
- G. Botschen and A. Hemetsberger, "Diagnosing means-end structures to determine the degree of potential marketing program standardization," Journal of Business research, Vol.42, pp.151-159, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(97)00116-1
- D. B. Klenosky, "The "pull" of tourism destinations: A means-end investigation," Journal of travel research, Vol.40, pp.385-395, 2002.
- E. Frauman and P. Cunningham, "Using a means-end approach to understand the factors that influence greenway use," Journal of park and recreation Administration, Vol.19, pp.93-113, 2001.
- D. B. Klenosky, C. E. Gengler, and M. S. Mulvey, "Understanding the factors Influencing ski destination choice: A means-end analytic approach," Journal of leisure research, Vol.25, No.4, pp.362-379, 1993.
- D. Klenosky, E. Frauman, W. Norman, and C. Gengler, "Nature-based tourists' use of interpretive services: A means-end investigation," Journal of Tourism Studies, Vol.9, No.2, pp.26-36. 1998.
- A. G. Woodside, "Advancing means-end chains by incorporating heider's balance theory and fournier's consumer-brand relationship typology," Psychology & Marketing, Vol.21, No.4, pp.279-294, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20006
- T. Bech-Larsen and N. A. Nielsen, "A comparison of five elicitation techniques for elicitation of attributes of low involvement products," Journal of Economic Psychology, Vol.20, pp.315-341, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4870(99)00011-2
- K. G. Grunert and C. Valli, "Designer-made meat and dairy products: consumer-led product development," Livestock Production Science, Vol.72, pp.83-98. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(01)00269-X
- N. A. Nielsen, T. Bech-Larsen, and K. J. Grunert, "Consumer purchase motives and product perceptions: A laddering study on vegetable oil in three countries," Food Quality and Preference, Vol.9, pp.455-466, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(98)00022-6
- F. Ter Hofstede, E. M. Steenkamp, and M. Wedel, "International market segmentation based on consumer-product relations," Journal of Marketing research, Vol.36, pp.1-17, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151911
- R. E. Nisbett and T. D. Wilson, "Telling more than we can know: Verbal reports on mental processes," Psychological Review, Vol.84, pp.231-259, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.3.231
- A. J. McIntosh and M. A. Thyne, "Understanding tourist behavior using meansend chain theory," Annals of Tourism Research, Vol.32, No.1, pp.259-262, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2004.05.005
- J. Gutman and T. J. Reynolds, An investigation of the levels of cognitive abstraction utilized by consumers in product differentiation. In J. Eighmey(ed), Attitude research under the sun. Chicago: American Marketing Association. 1979.
- I. Langbroek and A. D. Beuckelaer, Between-method convergent validity of four data collection methods in quantitative means-end chain research. Food Quality and Preference(in press), 2005.
- P. Valette-Florence, "A causal analysis of means-end hierarchies in a cross-cultural context: Methodological refinements," Journal of Business Research, Vol.42, pp.161-166, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(97)00111-2
- A. I. Costa, D. Schoolmeester, M. Dekker, and W. M. F. Jongen, To Cook or not to cook: A means-end study of motives for choice of meal solutions. Food Quality and Preference (in press) Fitness & Wellness Week, Atlanta : Feb 1. 23. 2005.
- A. I. A. Costa, M. Dekker, and W. M. F. Jongen, "An overview of means-end theory: potential application in consumer-oriented food product design," Trends in food Science & Technology, Vol.15, pp.403-415, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2004.02.005
- J-M. Aurifeille and P. Valette-Florence, "Determination of the dominant means-end chains: A constrained clustering approach," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol.12, pp.267-278, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8116(95)00026-X
- T. J. Reynolds and J. Gutman, "Laddering theory, method analysis, and interpretation," Journal of Advertising Research, Vol.28, pp.11-31, 1988.
- R. Pieters, H. Baumgartner, and D. Allen, "A means-end chain approach to consumer goal structures," International Journal of Research In Marketing, Vol.12, pp.227-244, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8116(95)00023-U
- Steenkamp, E. M.J an-Benedict, and H. C. M. Trijp, "Task experience and validity in perceptual mapping A comparison of two er-adaptive techniques," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol.13, pp.265-276, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8116(96)00012-2
- S. R. Jaeger, J. H. Halliday, and MacFie, "The effect of advertising forma and means-end information on consumer expectations for apples," Food Quality and Preference, Vol.12, pp.189-205, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-3293(00)00044-6
- C. E. Gengler, D. B. Klenosky, and M. S. Mulvey, "Improving the graphic representation of means-end results," International Journal of Research in Marketing, Vol.12, pp.124-140. 1995.
- 방한복, 북한산 국립공원 등산객의 만족도에 관한 연구: 시설, 홍보활동, 제도, 직원을 중심으로, 명지대학교 석사학위논문, 1998.
- 손경석, "격동과 영예의 한국산악회 60년", 한국산악, 제25권. 한산논단, pp.9-21, 2005.
- M. Rokeach, "The role of values in public opinion research," Public Opinion Quarterly, Vol.32, No.4, pp.547-559, 1968. https://doi.org/10.1086/267645
- L. R. Kahle, Social values and social change: Adaptation to the life in America, New York: Praeger, 1983.
- L. Bredahl, Consumers' cognitions with regard to genetically modified foods-results of a qualitative study in four countries. MAPP working paper59. Aarhus School of business. Centre for market Surveillance, Research and Strategy for the Food Sector, 1998.
- P. Valette-Florence, L. Sirieix, K. Grunert, and N. Nielsen, Means-end chain analyses of fish consumption in Denmark and France: A multidimensional perspective. In L. Kahle(Ed.). Cross-national consumer psychographics (pp.15-27). New York, NY: Haworth Press, 2000.
- S. H. Schwartz and W. Bilsky, "Toward a universal psychological structure of human values," Journal of Personality and social Psychology, Vol.53, No.3, pp.550-563, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2060
- K. G. Grunert and T. Bech-Larsen, "Explaining choice option attractiveness by beliefs elicited by the laddering method," Journal of economic psychology, Vol.26, pp.223-241, 2004.