- Volume 53 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Analyzing the Variability of Spring Precipitation and Rainfall Effectiveness According to the Regional Characteristics
봄철 강수량 및 강수효율의 지역적 특성별 변화분석
- Received : 2011.03.07
- Accepted : 2011.03.29
- Published : 2011.05.31
The temporal variability of spring (March, April, May) monthly precipitation, precipitation effectiveness, monthly maximum precipitation, monthly precipitation of different durations, and the precipitation days over several threshold (i.e. 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 mm/day) of 59 weather stations between 1973 and 2009 were analyzed. Also to analyze the regional characteristics of temporal variability, 59 weather stations were classified by elevations, latitudes, longitudes, river basins, inland or shore (east sea, south sea, west sea) area and the level of urbanization. Results demonstrated that trends of variables increase in April and decrease in May except precipitation day. Overall trend of precipitation amount and precipitation effectiveness is same but precipitation effectiveness of several sites decrease despite the trend of precipitation amount increases which may be caused by the air temperature increase. Therefore more effective water supply strategy is essential for Spring season. Regional characteristics of Spring precipitation variability can be summarized that increase trend during May become stronger with the increase of latitude and elevation which is similar to that of Summer season. The temporal variability of variables showed different behaviors according to river basins, inland or shore (east sea, south sea, west sea) area and the level of urbanization.
Grant : 기후변화에 의한 수문 영향분석과 전망
Supported by : 한국건설교통기술평가원
- Begert, M., T. Schlegel, and W. Kirchhofer, 2005. Homogeneous temperature and precipitation series of Switzerland from 1864 to 2000. International Journal of Climatology 25: 65-80. https://doi.org/10.1002/joc.1118
- Burn, D. H., and M. A. H. Elnur, 2002. Detection of hydrologic trends and variability. Journal of Hydrology 255: 107-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(01)00514-5
- Choi, G. Y., and W. T. Kown, 2008. Current and future changes in the type of wintertime precipitation in south Korea. Journal of the Korean Geographical Society 43(3): 1-19 (in Korean).
- Shahid, S., and O. S. Khairulmaini, 2009, Spatio-temporal variability of rainfall over Bangladesh during the time period 1969-2003. Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 45(3): 375-389.
- Gemmer, M., S. Becker, and T. Jiang, 2004. Observed monthly precipitation trends in China 1951-2002. Theor. Appl. Climatol 77: 39-45. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00704-003-0018-3
- Hwang, S. H., J. H. Kim, C. S. Yoo, and J. H. Lee, 2010. Characteristics of inter-monthly climatic change appeared in long-term Seoul rainfall. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 30(1B): 1-11 (in Korean).
- Karpouzos, D. K., S. Kavalieratou, and C. Babajimopoulos, 2010. Trend analysis of precipitation data in Pieria region (Greece). European Water 30: 31-40.
- Kim, B. K., B. S. Kim, and H. S. Kim, 2008. On the change of extreme weather event using extreme indices. Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers 28(1B): 41-53 (in Korean).
- Kim, G., T. K. Yim, and C. H. Park, 2009. Analysis of the Secular Trend of the Annual and Monthly Precipitation Amount of South Korea. Journal of the Korean Society of Hazard Mitigation 9(6): 17-30 (in Korean).
- Kim, S. S., S. M. Jang, and H. J. Baek, 2006. Climatological variability of temperature and Precipitation in Jeju. Jour. Korean Earth Science Society 27(2): 188-197 (in Korean).
- Lee, D. K., and J. G. Park, 1999. Regionalization of summer rainfall in south Korea using cluster analysis. Journal of the Korean Meteorological Society 35(4): 511-518 (in Korean).
- Lee, S. H., and W. T. Kown, 2004. A variation of summer rainfall in Korea. Journal of the Korean Geographical Society 39(6): 819-832 (in Korean).
- Park, C. Y., J. Y. Moon, E. J. Cha, W. T. Won, and Y. E. Choi, 2008. Recent change in summer precipitation characteristics over south Korea. Journal of the Korean Geographical Society 43(3): 324-336 (in Korean).
- Partal, T., and E. Kahya, 2006. Trend analysis in Turkish precipitation data. Hydrological Processes 20: 2011-2026. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.5993
- Yue, S., and M. Hashino, 2003. Long term trends of annual and monthly precipitation in Japan. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 39(3): 587-596. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-1688.2003.tb03677.x