- Volume 1 Issue 2
This paper addresses an underwater landmark for updating UUV positioning information. A method is proposed in which the landmark's cubic shape and edge are recognized. The reliability, installation load, and management of landmark design were taken into consideration in order to assess practical applications of the landmark. Landmark recognition was based on topological features. The straight line recognition confirmed the landmark's location and enabled an UUV to accurately estimated its underwater position with respect to the landmark. An efficient recognition method is proposed, which provides real-time processing with limited UUV computing power. An underwater experiment was conducted in order to evaluate the proposed method's reliability and accuracy.
Underwater; Pose estimation; Position;UUV
- J.K. Yuh, et. Al, Design of a semi-autonomous underwater vehicle for interventionmissions (SAUVIM), Proc. of International symposium on Underwater Technology, (1998) 63-68.
- S.C. Yu, and T. Ura, Experiment on a system of Multi-AUV Interlinked with a Smart Cable for Autonomous Inspection of Underwater Structures, International J. of Offshore Structures and Polar Engineering, 14(4) (2004) 274-283.
- T. Maki, H. Kondo, T. Ura, T. Sakamaki, Photo Mosaicing of Tagiri Shallow Vent Area by the AUV Tri-Dog 1 using a SLAM based Navigation Scheme, Proc. of MTS/IEEE OCEANS CD-ROM, (2006). https://doi.org/10.1109/OCEANS.2006.306941
- J.Y. Park, B.H. Jun, P.M. Lee, J. O, Experiments on vision guided docking of an autonomous underwater vehicle using one camera, Ocean Engineering, 36(1) (2009) 48-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2008.10.001
- S.C. Yu, T. Ura, H. Fujii, H. Kondo, Navigation of autonomous underwater vehicles based on artificial underwater landmarks, MTS/IEEE OCEANS, 1(1) (2001) 409-416. https://doi.org/10.1109/OCEANS.2001.968760
- S.C. Yu, T. Ura and T. Samakaki, Development of the New Recognition Method of Sacrificial Anodes and Navigation Method of AUVs for Automatic Inspection of Underwater Structures, Proc.of Techno-Ocean International Symposium, CD-ROM T-D-2-1, (2002).
- DIDSON website, www.didson.com
- S. David, The professional diver's handbook, submex, U.K, (1982).
- T. Kazuo and T. Hmasahiro, Fundamental of Oceanography, Sanseido Press, (1997) 155-157 (in Japanese).
- S.C. Yu, Development of real-time acoustic image recognition system using by autonomous marine vehicle, Ocean Engineering, 35(1) (2008) 90-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2007.07.010
- S.C. Yu, T.W. Kim, A. Asada, S. Weatherwax, B. Collins, J. Yuh, Development of High-Resolution Acoustic Camera based Real-Time Object Recognition System by using Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, Proc. of MTS/IEEE OCEANS, (2006) 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1109/OCEANS.2006.307011
- D.J. Kang, J.E Ha, I.S. Kweon, Fast object recognition using dynamic programming from combination of salient line groups, Pattern Recognition, 36(1) (2003) 79-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-3203(02)00046-8
- D.J. Kang, M. Jeong, A Method for Camera Pose Estimation from Object of a Known Shape, LECTURE NOTES IN CONTROL AND INFORMATION SCIENCES, 345 (2006) 606-613. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-37258-5_64
- R. Kumar, and A.R. Hanson, Robust methods for Estimating Pose and a Sensitivity Analysis, CVGIP: Image Understanding, 60 (1994) 313-342. https://doi.org/10.1006/ciun.1994.1060