- Volume 1 Issue 2
This paper describes the implementation of a precise underwater navigation solution using a multiple sensor fusion technique based on USBL, GPS, DVL and AHRS measurements for the operation of a remotely operated mine disposal vehicle (MDV). The estimation of accurate 6DOF positions and attitudes is the key factor in executing dangerous and complicated missions. To implement the precise underwater navigation, two strategies are chosen in this paper. Firstly, the sensor frame alignment to the body frame is conducted to enhance the performance of a standalone dead-reckoning algorithm. Secondly, absolute position data measured by USBL is fused to prevent cumulative integration error. The heading alignment error is identified by comparing the measured absolute positions with the DR algorithm results. The performance of the developed approach is evaluated with the experimental data acquired by MDV in the South-sea trial.
Dead reckoning (DR);Underwater navigation;Sensor fusion;Ultra short base line(USBL);Doppler velocity log(DVL)
- L. Whitcomb, D. Yoerger and H. Singh, Advances in Doppler-Based Navigation of Underwater Robotic Vehicles, Proc. Of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics & Automation, (1999) 399-406. https://doi.org/10.1109/ROBOT.1999.770011
- J.C. Kinsey and L.L. Whitcomb, In situ Alignment Calibration of Attitude and Doppler Sensors for Precision Underwater Vehicle Navigation: Theory and Experiment, IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 32(2) (2007) 286-299. https://doi.org/10.1109/JOE.2007.893686
- J. Jouffroy and J. Opderbecke, Underwater vehicle trajectory estimation using contracting PDE-based observers, in American Control Conference, (2004) 4108-4113.
- S.Y. Cho and W.S. Choi, Robust Positioning Technique in Low-Cost DR/GPS for Land Navigation, IEEE Transactions on instrumentation and measurement, 55(4) (2006) 1132-1142. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIM.2006.877718
- P. Lee, S. Kim, B. Jeon, H. Choi, and C. Lee, “Pseudo long base line navigation algorithm for underwater vehicles with inertial sensors and two acoustic range measurement,” Ocean Eng., 34(3-4) (2007) 416-425. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2006.03.011
- D. Franken and A. Hupper, Improved Fast Covariance Intersection for Distributed Data Fusion, Int. Conf. on Information Fusion, (2005) 154-160.
- S. Vike and J. Jouffroy, Diffusion-based outlier rejection for underwater navigation, Proc. of Oceans 2005, (2005) 1037-1042.
- W.S. Cleveland, Robust Locally Weighted Regression and Smoothing Scatter plots, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 74, (1979) 829-836. https://doi.org/10.2307/2286407
- T. I. Fossen, Guidance and control of ocean vehicles, John Wiley & Sons, 1994
- W. Niehsen, Information fusion based on fast covariance intersection filtering, In Proc. Int. Conf: Inf: Fusion (FUSION '02) (2002) 901-905..