- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
CFD Application to Evaluation of Wave and Current Loads on Fixed Cylindrical Substructure for Ocean Wind Turbine
해상풍력발전용 고정식 원형 하부구조물에 작용하는 파랑 및 조류 하중 해석을 위한 CFD 기법의 적용
- Received : 2011.03.08
- Accepted : 2011.04.22
- Published : 2011.04.30
Numerical simulations were performed for the evaluation of wave and current loads on a fixed cylindrical substructure model for an ocean wind turbine using the ANSYS-CFX package. The numerical wave tank was actualized by specifying the velocity at the inlet and applying momentum loss as a wave damper at the end of the wave tank. The Volume-Of-Fluid (VOF) scheme was adopted to capture the air-water interface. An accuracy validation of the numerical wave tank with a truncated vertical circular cylinder was accomplished by comparing the CFD results with Morison's formula, experimental results, and potential flow solutions using the higher-order boundary element method (HOBEM). A parametric study was carried out by alternately varying the length and amplitude of the wave. As a meaningful engineering application, in the present study, three kinds of conditions were considered, i.e., cases with current, waves, and a combination of current and progressive waves, passing through a cylindrical substructure model. It was found that the CFD results showed reasonable agreement with the results of the HOBEM and Morison's formula when only progressive waves were considered. However, when a current was included, CFD gave a smaller load than Morison's formula.
Computational fluid dynamics;Morison's formula;High-order boundary element method;Numerical wave tank;Wave load;Current load;Circular cylinder;Ocean wind turbine;Substructure
- Boo, S.Y. (1995). "Weakly Nonlinear Diffraction Due to Vertical Cylinder in a 3-D Numerical Wave Tank", Proceedings of the Fifth International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Hague, Netherlands, Vol 3, pp 19-25.
- Boo, S.Y. (2002). "Linear and Nonlinear Irregular Waves and Forces in a Numerical Wave Tank", Ocean Engineering, Vol 29, No 5, pp 475-493. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0029-8018(01)00055-5
- Choi, Y.R., Hong, S.Y. and Choi, H.S. (2001). "An Analysis of Second-order Wave Forces on Floating Bodies by using a Higher-order Boundary Element Method", Ocean Eng, Vol 13, No 5, pp 117-138.
- Dong, C.M. and Huang, C.J. (2001). "2-Dimensional Wave Tank in Viscous Fluid", Proceedings of the 11th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Stavanger, Norway.
- Guenter, C., Ike, L. and Ostergaard. (1988). Offshore Structures Engineering, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heideiberg.
- Hirt, C.W. and Nichols, B.D. (1981). "Volume of Fluid (VOF) Method for The Dynamics of Free Boundaries", Journal of Computational physics, Vol 39, No 201.
- Hong, S.Y., Kim, H.J. and Choi, Y.R. (2002). "Experimen-tal Study on Behavior of Tandem and Side-by-side Moored Vessels", Proceedings of 12th ISOPE, Kita-Kyushu 3, 841-847.
- Liu, Y.H., Kim, C.H. and Lu, X.S. (1990). "Comparison of Higher-order Boundary Element and Constant Panel Methods for Hydrodynamic Loadings", Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering, ISOPE, Vol 1, No 1, pp 8-17.
- Park, J.C., Uno, Y., Matsuo, H. and Miyata, H. (2001). "Reproduction of Fully Nonlinear Multi-directional Waves by a 3-D Viscous Numerical Wave Tank", Proceedings of 11th International offshore and polar Engineering Conference, Stavanger, Norway.
- Sung, H.G., Kim, Y.S., Nam, B.W. and Hong, S.Y. (2007). "Experimental Investigation of Wave Loads on a Truncated Vertical Circular Cylinder", Proceedings of 2007 Fall Meeting of The Korean Society of Ocean Engineers.
- Weggel, D.C., Roesset, J.M. and Kim, M.H. (1996). "Second Order Vertical Diffraction Forces on Truncated Cylinders", Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering 118, pp 259-266. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2833914
- Analysis on Interaction of Regular Waves and a Circular Column Structure vol.20, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2017.20.2.63