- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Material Properties of Arctic Sea Ice during 2010 Arctic Voyage of Icebreaking Research Vessel ARAON: Part 1 - Sea Ice Thickness, Temperature, Salinity, and Density -
쇄빙연구선 ARAON호를 이용한 북극해 해빙의 재료특성 (1) - 해빙의 두께, 온도, 염도, 밀도 계측 -
- Park, Young-Jin (Department of Ocean Engineering, Korea Maritime University) ;
- Kim, Dae-Hwan (Department of Ocean Engineering, Korea Maritime University) ;
- Choi, Kyung-Sik (Department of Ocean Engineering, Korea Maritime University)
- Received : 2010.12.21
- Accepted : 2011.04.22
- Published : 2011.04.30
A field trial in an ice-covered sea is one of the most important tasks in the design of icebreaking ships and offshore structures. To correctly estimate the ice load and ice resistance of a ship's hull, it is essential to understand the material properties of sea ice during ice field trials and to use the proper experimental procedure for gathering effective ice data. The first Korean-made icebreaking research vessel, "ARAON," had her second sea ice trial in the Arctic Ocean during the summer season of 2010. This paper describes the test procedures used to obtain proper sea ice data, which provides the basic information for the ship's performance in an ice-covered sea and is used to estimate the correct ice load and ice resistance of the IBRV ARAON. The data gathered from the sea ice in the Chukchi Sea and Beaufort Sea during the Arctic voyage of the ARAON includes the temperature, density, and salinity of the sea ice, which was believed to be from two-year old ice floes. This paper analyses the gathered sea ice data in comparison with data from the first voyage of the ARAON during her Antarctic Sea ice trial.
Icebreaking research vessel ARAON;Arctic voyage;Material properties of sea ice;Thickness of ice;Temperature;Density;Salinity
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Likhomanov, V. (2010). Full-Scale Ice Trials of the Korean Research Icebreaker Araon, Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute Russian Antarctic Expedition Report, pp 84-98.
- Ostreng, W., et al. (1999). The Challenges of the Northern Sea Route - Interplay between Natural and Societal Factors, INSROP Working Paper No 167.
- 박영진, 김대환, 최경식 (2010). "쇄빙연구선 ARAON을 이용한 북극해 해빙의 재료특성 조사" 한국해양공학회 추계학술대회 논문집, pp 146-152.
- 이춘주 등 (2010). 2010년 쇄빙연구선 "ARAON호"의 북극해 항해 실선계측시험 결과보고서, 한국해양연구원.
- Effects of Ship Speed and Ice Thickness on Local Ice Loads Measured in Arctic Sea vol.27, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2013.27.5.082
- A Study on Calculation of Local Ice Pressures for ARAON Based on Data Measured at Arctic Sea vol.27, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5574/KSOE.2013.27.5.088