- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of Feed Types on Ochratoxin A Disappearance in Goat Rumen Fluid
- Upadhaya, Santi Devi (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Yang, Liu (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Seo, Ja-Kyeom (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, Myung-Hoo (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Chang-Kyu (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, Chan-Ho (GeneBio Tech Co. Ltd.) ;
- Ha, Jong-K. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology, Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2010.09.01
- Accepted : 2010.11.12
- Published : 2011.02.01
This study was conducted to investigate the effect of feed types on Ochratoxin A (OTA) degradation by Korean native goats. Rumen fluid from canulated goats fed whole roughage or 50% roughage served as a source of micro-organisms. Experiments were undertaken i) to investigate OTA degradation ability in a
Ruminants;Ochratoxin A;Degradation;Carboxypeptidase A;Bacillus
- Abrunhosa, L., S. Lucia and V. Armando. 2006. Degradation of ochratoxin A by proteases and by crude enzyme of Aspergillus niger. Food Biotechnol. 20:231-242. https://doi.org/10.1080/08905430600904369
- Abrunhosa, L. and V. Armando. 2007. Isolation and purification of an enzyme hydrolyzing ochratoxin A from Aspergillus niger. Biotechnol. Lett. 29:1909-1914. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-007-9479-2
- Allen, G. C., M. A. Flores-Vergara, S. Krasnyanski, S. Kumar and W. F. Thompson. 2006. Modified protocol for rapid DNA isolation from plant tissues using cetyl trimethyl ammonium bromide. Nat. Protoc. 1:2320-2325. https://doi.org/10.1038/nprot.2006.384
- Alexandros, Y. and J. Jean-Pier. 2002. Mycotoxins in feeds and their fate in animals: a review. Anim. Res. 51:81-99. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:2002012
- Bohm, J., J. Grajewski, H. Asperger, B. Cecon, B. Rabus and E. Razzazi. 2000. Study on bio-degradation of some Btrichothecenes and ochratoxin A by use of probiotic microorganisms. Mycotoxin Res. 16A:70-74.
- Bryant, M. P. and L. A. Burkey. 1953. Cultural methods and some characteristics of some of the more numerous groups of bacteria in the bovine rumen. J. Dairy Sci. 36:205-216. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(53)91482-9
- De Clerck, E., K. Van Mol, G. Jannes, R. Rossau and P. DeVos. 2004. Design of a 5′exonuclease-based real-time PCR assay for simultaneous detection of Bacillus licheniformis, members of the "B. cereus group" and B. fumarioli in gelatin. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 39:109-115. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2004.01550.x
- Deberghes, P., A. M. Betbeder, F. Boisard, R. Blanc, J. F. Delably, S. Krivobok, R. H. Steiman, M. F. Seigle and E. E. Creppy. 1995. Detoxification of ochratoxin A, a food contaminant:prevention of growth of Aspergillus ochraceus and its production of ochratoxin A. Mycotoxin Res. 11:37-47. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03192060
- Halasz, A., R. Latsztity, T. Abonyi and A. Bata. 2009. Decontamination of Mycotoxin containing food and feed by biodegradation. Food Res. Int. 25:284-298. https://doi.org/10.1080/87559120903155750
- Hohler, D., K. H. Sudekum, S. Wolffram, A. A. Frohlich and R. R. Marquardt. 1999. Metabolism and excretion of ochratoxin A fed to sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1217-1223.
- Hult, K., A. Teiling and S. Gatenbeck. 1976. Degradation of ochratoxin A by a ruminant. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 32:443-444.
- Kiessling, K. H., H. Pettersson, K. Sandholm and M. Olsen. 1984. Metabolism of aflatoxin, ochratoxin, zearalenone, and three trichothecenes by intact rumen fluid, rumen protozoa, and rumen bacteria. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 47:1070-1073.
- Lee, S. S., J. K. Ha and K. J. Cheng. 2000. Relative contributions of bacteria, protozoa, and fungi to in vitro degradation of orchard grass cell walls and their interactions. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 66:3807-3813. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.66.9.3807-3813.2000
- Marquardt, R. R. 1996. Effects of molds and their toxins on livestock performance: a western Canadian perspective. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 58:77-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(95)00875-6
- Mobashar, M., J. Hummel, R. Blank and K. H. Sudekum. 2010. Ochratoxin A in ruminants-A review on its degradation by gut microbes and effects on animals. Toxins 2:809-839. https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins204809
- Petchkongkaew, A., P. Taillandier, P. Gasaluck and A. Lebrihi. 2008. Isolation of Bacillus spp. from Thai fermented soybean (Thua-nao): screening for aflatoxin B1 and ochratoxin A detoxification. J. Appl. Microbiol. 104:1495-1502. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2007.03700.x
- Peteri, Z. J. Terenb, C. Vagvo lgyia and J. Varga. 2007. Ochratoxin degradation and adsorption caused by astaxanthin- producing yeasts. Food Microbiol. 24:205-210. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fm.2006.06.003
- Pitout, M. J. 1969. The hydrolysis of ochratoxin A by some proteolytic enzymes. Biochem. Pharmacol. 18:485-491. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(69)90224-X
- Ribelin, W. E., K. Fukushima and P. E. Still. 1978. The toxicity of ochratoxin A to ruminants. Can J. Comp. Med. 42:172-176.
- SAS. 2002. SAS user guide (Ver 9.1).SAS Inst.Inc. Cary, NC, USA.
- Schaadt, H. Jr. and R. R. Johnson. 1969. VFA production in the rumen of sheep fed limestone and urea treated corn silages. J. Anim. Sci. 29:839-847.
- Schatzmayr, G., F. Zehner, M. Taubel, D.Schatzmayr, A. Klimitsch, A. P. Loibner and E. M. Binder. 2006. Microbiologicals for deactivating mycotoxins. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 50:543-551. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.200500181
- Stander, M. A., P. S. Steyn, F. H.van der Westhuizen and B. E. Payne. 2001. A kinetic study into the hydrolysis of the ochratoxins and analogues by carboxypeptidase A. Chem. Res. Toxicol. 14:302-304. https://doi.org/10.1021/tx000221i
- Upadhaya, S. D., H. G. Sung, C. H. Lee, S. Y. Lee, S. W. Kim, K. J. Jo and J. K. Ha. 2009. Comparative study on the aflatoxin B1 degradation ability of rumen fluid from Holstein steers and Korean native goats. J. Vet. Sci. 10(1):29-34. https://doi.org/10.4142/jvs.2009.10.1.29
- Upadhaya, S. D., M. A. Park and Jong K. Ha. 2010. Mycotoxins and their biotransformation in the rumen: A review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23(9):1250-1260. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.r.06
- Van der Merwe, K. J., P. S. Step and L. Fourie. 1965. In: Effect of a hay and a grain diet on the rate of hydrolysis of ochratoxin A in the rumen of sheep (Ed. H. Xiao, R. R. Marquardt, A. A. Frohlich, G. D. Phillips and T. J. Vitti). J. Anim. Sci. 69:3706-3714.
- Wanapat, M. and A. Cherdthong. 2009. Use of real time PCR technique in studying rumen cellulolytic bacterial population as affected by level of roughage in swamp buffalo. Curr. Microbiol. 58:294-299. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-008-9322-6
- Xiao, H., R. R. Marquardt, A. A. Frohlich, G. D. Phillips and T. G. Vitti. 1991. Effect of a hay and a grain diet on the rate of hydrolysis of ochratoxin A in the rumen of sheep. J. Anim. Sci. 69:3706-3714.