- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dietary Multi-nutritional Targeted Supplementation According to Different Growth Stages on Performance and Carcass Characteristics of Hanwoo Steers
- Park, Byung-Ki (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Pyeongchang) ;
- Choi, Nag-Jin (Department of Animal Science, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Min (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Pyeongchang) ;
- Kim, Hyeong-Cheol (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Pyeongchang) ;
- Jeon, Byoung-Soo (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Pyeongchang) ;
- Kim, Meing-Joong (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Pyeongchang) ;
- Oh, Young-Kyoon (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Pyeongchang) ;
- Im, Seok-Ki (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Pyeongchang) ;
- Hong, Seong-Koo (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Pyeongchang) ;
- Chang, Jong-Soo (Department of Agricultural Sciences, Korea National Open University) ;
- Hwang, In-Ho (Department of Animal Science, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Kim, Young-Jun (Department of Food and Biotechnology, Korea University) ;
- Kwon, Eung-Gi (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA, Pyeongchang)
- 투고 : 2010.05.28
- 심사 : 2010.08.23
- 발행 : 2011.02.01
This study was conducted to determine the effects of dietary multi-nutritional targeted supplementation according to different growth stages on performance, blood metabolites and carcass characteristics of Korean native Hanwoo steers. Thirty two Hanwoo steers, 6 months of age and weighing
Hanwoo Steers;Growth Performance;Carcass Characteristics
- Animal Products Grading Service (APGS). 2009. Grade Rule for Cattle Carcass in Korea. Available: http://www.ekape.or.kr/gradeinfo/statistics/
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC). 1990. Official Methods of Analysis, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Boccard, R. L., R. T. Naude, D. E. Cronje, M. C. Smit, H. J. Venter and E. J. Rossouw. 1979. The influence of age, sex and breed of cattle on their muscle characteristics. Meat Sci. 3:261-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(79)90003-2
- Bryant, T. C., J. D. Rivera, M. L. Galyean, G. C. Duff, D. M. Hallford and T. H. Montgomery. 1999. Effects of dietary level of ruminally protected choline on performance and carcass characteristics of finishing beef steers and on growth and serum metabolites in lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 77:2893-2903.
- Drouillard, J. S., A. S. Flake and G. L. Kuhl. 1998. Effects of added fat, degradable intake protein, and ruminally protected choline in diets of finishing steers. Cattlemen's Day Rep. Prog. 804. Kansas Agric. Exp. Sta., Manhattan. pp. 71-75.
- Erdman, R. A. and B. K. Sharma. 1991. Effect of dietary rumenprotected choline in lactating dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 74:1641-1647. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78326-4
- Faustman, C., R. G. Cassens, D. M. Schaefer, D. R. Buege, S. N. Williams and K. K. Scheller. 1989. Improvement of pigment and lipid stability Holstein steer beef by dietary supplementation with vitamin E. J. Food Sci. 54:858-862. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb07899.x
- Fiems, L. O., S. De Campeneere, S. De Smet, G. Van de Voorde, J. M. Vanacker and Ch. V. Boucque. 2000. Relationship between fat depots in carcasses of beef bulls and effect on meat colour and tenderness. Meat Sci. 56:41-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00017-6
- Hartwell, J. R., M. J. Cecava and S. S. Donkin. 2000. Impact of dietary rumen undegradable protein and rumen protected choline on intake, peripartum liver triglyceride, plasma metabolites and milk production in transition dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 83:2907-2917. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(00)75191-5
- Lee, D. H. 2004. Methods of genetic parameter estimations of carcass weight, longissimus muscle area and marbling score in Korean cattle. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 46:509-516. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.4.509
- Lee, S.-H., E.-W. Park, Y. M. Cho, S.-K. Kim, J.-H. Lee, J.-T. Jeon, C.-S. Lee, S.-K. Im, S.-J. Oh, J. M. Thompson and D. Yoon. 2007. Identification of differentially expressed genes related to intramuscular fat development in the early and late fattening stages of Hanwoo steers. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 40:757-764. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2007.40.5.757
- Mancini, R. A. and M. C. Hunt. 2005. Current research in meat color. Meat Sci. 71:100-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.03.003
- Mayes, P. A. 1981. Metabolism of lipids: II. Role of the tissue. In: Harper's Review of Biochemistry (18th Ed.) (Ed. D. W. Martin, P. A. Mayes and V. W. Rodwell). pp. 222-244. Lange Med. Publ., Los Altos, CA.
- O'Grady, M. N., M. Maher, D. J. Troy, A. P. Moloney and J. P. Kerry. 2006. An assessment of dietary supplementation with tea catechins and rosemary extract on the quality of fresh beef. Meat Sci. 73:132-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.11.008
- Oh, Y. K., K. H. Kim, S. W. Kang, S. K. Hong, I. S. Nam, S. S. Chang, G. G. Park, S. Y. Han, K. J. Chun and J. S. Kum. 2008. Study on meat color of Hanwoo beef related to the concentration of heme iron. Annual Research Report of National Institute of Animal Science, Korea. pp. 491-525.
- Overton, T. R., J. K. Drackley, G. N. Douglas, L. S. Emmert and J. H. Clark. 1998. Hepatic gluconeogenesis and whole-body protein metabolism of periparturient dairy cows as affected by source of energy and intake of the prepartum diet. J. Dairy Sci. 81 (Suppl. 1):295 (Abstr.).
- Park, B. K., E. G. Kwon, T. I. Kim, N. J. Choi, Y. M. Cho, S. S. Chang, Y. K. Oh, B. H. Paek and H. S. Kim. 2008. Effects of ruminally protected amino acid-enriched fatty acid on growth performance, carcass characteristics and economic analysis in Hanwoo steers. Proceedings of the 8th Annual Congress. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. p. 99.
- Rural Development Administration (RDA). 2009. The standard income of agricultural and livestock products. p. 142.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods of dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber and non-starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Zembayashi, M., D. K. Lunt and S. B. Smith. 1999. Dietary tea reduces the iron content of beef. Meat Sci. 53:221-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00058-3
- Zhong, R. Z., C. Y. Tan, X. F. Han, S. X. Tang, Z. L. Tan and B. Zeng. 2009. Effect of dietary tea catechins supplementation in goats on the quality of meat kept under refrigeration. Small Rumin. Res. 87:122-125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2009.10.012
- Effect of By-product Feed-based Silage Feeding on the Performance, Blood Metabolites, and Carcass Characteristics of Hanwoo Steers (a Field Study) vol.28, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.14.0443