- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Concentrations of Calcium-binding Protein and Bone Gla-protein in Culture Medium and CaBP mRNA Expression in Osteoblasts of Broiler Chickens
- Guo, Xiaoyu (College of Animal Science, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University) ;
- Yan, Sumei (College of Animal Science, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University) ;
- Shi, Binlin (College of Animal Science, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University) ;
- Feng, Yongmiao (Huhhot Vocational College)
- Received : 2010.02.17
- Accepted : 2010.07.09
- Published : 2011.02.01
This study was conducted to determine the effects of excess vitamin A on alkaline phosphatase (ALP) activity, contents of calcium-binding protein (CaBP), bone gla-protein (BGP) in culture medium and CaBP mRNA expression in chicken osteoblasts in vitro. Osteoblastic cells in the tibia from 1-day-old Arbor Acre broiler chickens were isolated using enzyme digestion. The subconfluenced cells were divided into eight treatments with six replicates in each treatment and cultured in a medium containing either vehicle or different levels of vitamin A (0, 0.2, 0.6, 1.0, 2.0, 5.0, 10.0 and
Vitamin A;Broiler Chicken;Calcium-binding Protein;mRNA Expression;Osteoblast;Bone Gla-protein
- Anderson, J. J. 2002. Over supplementation of vitamin A and osteoporotic fracture in the elderly: To supplement or not to supplement with vitamin A. J. Bone Miner. Res. 17(8):1359-1362. https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.2002.17.8.1359
- Balmain, N. 1991. Calbindin-D9k. A vitamin-D-dependent, calcium-binding protein in mineralized tissues. Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 265:265-276.
- Balm, N. and B. F. Cai. 1991. Calcium-binding protein: Calbindin-D9K. J. Foreign Medical Sciences: Section of Orthopaedics. 12(4):223-226.
- Chen, Y. J., S. M. Yan, H. Y. Li, P. Cao and Z. X. Xu. 2008. Effect of vitamin A and vitamin E on growth performance and immune functions in broilers. Chinese Journal of Inner Mongolia Agricultural University 29(1):14-19.
- Feng, Y. M., S. M. Yan, H. Y. Li and L. H. Fang. 2007. Effect of dietary vitamin A on CaBP-m RNA expressions in tissues of broilers. Chinese J. Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Medicine. 39:7-9.
- Fell, H. B. and E. Mellanby. 1952. The effect of hypervitaminosis A on embryonic limb-bones cultivated in vitro. J. Physiol. 116:320-349. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1952.sp004708
- Hough, S., L. V. Avioli, H. Muir, D. Gelderblom, G. Jenkins, H. Kurasi, E. Slatopolsky, M. A. Bergfeld and S. L. Teitelbaum. 1988. Effects of hypervitaminosis A on the bone and mineral metabolism of the rat. Endocrinology 122:2933-2939. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo-122-6-2933
- Harada, H., R. Miki, S. Masushige and S. Kato. 1995. Gene expression of retinoic acid receptors, retinoid-X receptors, and cellular retinol-binding protein I in bone and its regulation by vitamin A. Endocrinology 136:5329-5335. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.136.12.5329
- Linse, S., E. Thulin, L. K. Gifford, D. Radzewsky, J. Hagan, R. R. Wilk and K. S. Akerfeldt. 1997. Domain organization of calbindin D28k as determined from the association of six synthetic EF-hand fragments. Protein Sci. 6(11):2385-2396.
- Melhus, H., K. Michaelsson, A. Kindmark, R. Bergstrom, L. Holmberg, H. Mallmin, A. Wolk and S. Ljunghall. 1998. Excessive dietary intake of vitamin A is associated with reduced bone mineral density and increased risk for hip fracture. J. Ann. Intern Med. 129:770-778. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-129-10-199811150-00003
- Magnusson, P., L. Larsson, M. Magnusson, M. W. J. Davie and C. A. Sharp. 1999. Isoforms of bone alkaline phosphatase: Characterization and origin in human trabecular and cortical bone. J. Bone Miner. Res. 14:1926-1933. https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.19184.108.40.2066
- Mellanby, E. 1947. Vitamin A and bone growth: the reversibility of vitamin A deficiency changes. J. Physiol. 105:382-399. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1947.sp004178
- Naveh-Many, T., R. Marx, E. Keshet, J. W. Pike and J. Silver. 1990. Regulation of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptor gene expression by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in the parathyroid in vivo. J. Clin. Invest. 86(6):1968-1975. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI114931
- Owen, T. A., M. Aronow, V. Shalhoub, L. M. Barone, L. Wilming, M. S. Tassinari, M. B. Kennedy, S. Pockwinse, J. B. Lian, G. S. Stein, A. Michael and S. Victoria. 1990. Progressive development of the rat osteoblast phenotype in vitro: reciprocal relationship in expression of genes associated with osteoblast proliferation and differentiation during formation of the bone extracelluar matrix. J. Cell Physiol. 143:420-430. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.1041430304
- Park, C. K., Y. Ishimi, M. Ohmura, M. Yamaguchi and S. Ikegami. 1996. Vitamin A and carotenoids stimulate differentiation of mouse osteoblastic cells. J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol. (Tokyo). Jun; 43(3):281-296.
- Rohde, C. M. and H. DeLuca. 2003. Bone resorption activity of all-trans retinoic acid is independent of vitamin D in rats. J. Nutr. 133:777-783.
- Raisz, L. G. 1965. Bone resorption in tissue culture. Factors influencing the response to parathyroid hormone. J. Clin. Invest. 44:103-116. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI105117
- Risteli, L. and J. Risteli. 1993. Biochemical markers of bone metabolism. Ann. Med. 25:385-393. https://doi.org/10.3109/07853899309147301
- Schmittgen, T. D. and B. A. Zakrajsek. 2000. Effect of experimental treatment on house-keeping gene expression: validation by real-time, quantitative RT-PCR. Biochem. Biophys. Methods 46(1-2):69-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-022X(00)00129-9
- Thomasset, M., J. M. Dupret, A. Brehier and C. Perret. 1990. Calbindin-D9K (CaBP9K) gene: a model for studying the genomic actions of cacitriol and calcium in mammals. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 269:35-36. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4684-5754-4_5
- Whiting, S. J. and B. Lemke. 1999. Excess retinol intake may explain the high incidence of osteoporosis in northern Europe. Nutr. Rev. 57(6):192-195.
- Wada, S. and S. Kamiya. 2006. Bone and bone related biochemical examinations. Bone and collagen related metabolites. Osteocalcin(OC). Clin. Calcium 16(6):1017-1021.
- Wang, H. F. 2001. Spectrum of a graph of osteocyte and the technique of osteocyt cultivation in vitro. M. Shanghai: shanghai scientific and technical publishers. 61-63.
- Wolke, R. E., H. D. Eaton, S. W. Nielsen and C. F. Helmboldt. 1969. Qualitative and quantitative osteoblastic activity in chronic porcine hypervitaminosis A. J. Pathol. 97:677-686. https://doi.org/10.1002/path.1710970413
- Yan, S. M., Y. M. Feng, H. Q. Zhang and B. L. Shi. 2007. Effects of vitamin A and vitamin D on metabolism of calcium and phosphorous in broilers. Chin. J. Anim. Nutr. 19(3):218-224.
- Zhi. H. Y., E. Li and J. Zhang. 2001. Effect of all trans retinoid acid on newborn rat calvarial osteoblastic cells in vitro. J. Acta Nutrimenta Sinica. 2:167-169.