- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Protective Effects of Different Mycotoxin Adsorbents against Blood and Liver Pathological Changes Induced by Mold-contaminated Feed in Broilers
- Che, Zhengquan (Hubei Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, Wuhan Polytechnic University) ;
- Liu, Yulan (Hubei Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, Wuhan Polytechnic University) ;
- Wang, Huirong (Hubei Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, Wuhan Polytechnic University) ;
- Zhu, Huiling (Hubei Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, Wuhan Polytechnic University) ;
- Hou, Yongqing (Hubei Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, Wuhan Polytechnic University) ;
- Ding, Binying (Hubei Key Laboratory of Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, Wuhan Polytechnic University)
- Received : 2010.01.12
- Accepted : 2010.03.24
- Published : 2011.02.01
An experiment was conducted to determine the effects of different mycotoxin adsorbents including esterified glucomannan (EGM), hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate (HSCAS) and compound mycotoxin adsorbent (CMA) on performance, blood parameters, and liver pathological changes in broilers fed mold-contaminated feed. Two hundred and forty 10-day-old broilers were randomly assigned to one of the five dietary treatments including: i) control diet; ii) mold-contaminated diet; iii) moldcontaminated diet+0.05% EGM; iv) mold-contaminated diet+0.2% HSCAS; v) mold-contaminated diet+0.1% CMA. At 35-days-old, blood and liver tissue samples were collected for analysis. 0.1% CMA improved ADG and ADFI during 10-42 d compared to the moldcontaminated group (p<0.05). The mold-contaminated diet increased total white blood cell (WBC) number, haemoglobin (Hgb) concentration, hematocrit (Hct) level, serum aspartate aminotransferase (AST) and
Mycotoxin;Mycotoxin Adsorbents;Blood Parameters;Liver Morphology;Broilers
- Abbes, S., Z. Ouanes, J. Salah-Abbes, Z. Houas, R. Oueslati, H. Bacha and O. Othman. 2006. The protective effect of hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate against haematological, biochemical and pathological changes induced by Zearalenone in mice. Toxcion. 47:567-574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxicon.2006.01.016
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis (15th Ed.). Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, Virginia, USA, p. 1200.
- Aravind, K. L., V. S. Patil, G. Devegowda, B. Umakantha and S. P. Ganpule. 2003. Efficacy of esterified glucomannan to counteract mycotoxicosis in naturally contaminated feed on performance and serum biochemical and hematological parameters in broilers. Poult. Sci. 82:571-576. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/82.4.571
- Awad, W. A., J. Böhm, E. Razzazi-Fazeli, K. Faukal and J. Zentek. 2006a. Effect of addition of a probiotic microorganism to broiler diets contaminated with deoxynivalenol on performance and histological alterations of intestinal villi of broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 85:974-979. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.6.974
- Awad, W. A., J. Bohm, E. Razzazi-Fazeli and J. Zentek. 2006b. Effects of feeding deoxynivalenol contaminated wheat on growth performance,organ weights and histological parameters of the intestine of broiler chickens. J. Anim. Nutr. Anim. Physiol. 90:32-37. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2005.00616.x
- Banlunara, W., A. Bintvihok and S. Kumagai. 2005. Immunohistochemical study of proliferating cell nuclear antigen in duckling liver fed with aflatoxin B1 and esterified glucomannan. Toxicon. 46:954-957. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.toxicon.2005.04.019
- Bintvihok, A., W. Bunlunara and T. Kaewamatawong. 2002. Aflatoxin detoxification by sterified glucomannans in ducklings. Thai. J. Health Res. 16:135-148.
- Bintvihok, A. and S. Kositcharoenkul. 2003. Aflatoxin B1 and its metabolites residues in tissues and fecal excretion levels of aflatoxin B1 and its metabolites of ducklings given feed containing aflatoxin and esterified glucomannan. Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium of the World Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians and OIE Seminar on Biotechnology (ISWAVLD). pp. 104-105.
- Dvorska, J. E., A. C. Pappas, F. Karadas, B. K. Speake and P. F. Surai. 2007. Protective effect of modified glucomannans and organic selenium against antioxidant depletion in the chicken liver due to T-2 toxin-contaminated feed consumption. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 45:582-587.
- Edrington, T. S., A. B. Sarr, L. F. Kubena, R. B. Harvey and T. D. Phillips. 1997. Hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate (HSCAS), acidic HSCAS, and activated charcoal reduce urinary excretion of aflatoxin M1 in turkey poults. Lack of effect by activated charcoal on aflatoxicosis. Toxicol. Lett. 89:115-122.
- Ferrante, M. C., M. Bilancione, G. M. Raso, E. Esposito, A. Iacono, A. Zaccaroni and R. Meli. 2006. Expression of COX-2 and hsp72 in peritoneal macrophages after an acute Ochratoxin A treatment in mice. Life Sci. 79:1242-1247. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2006.03.031
- Girish, C. K. and T. K. Smith. 2008. Effects of feeding blends of grains naturally contaminated with fusarium mycotoxins on small intestinal morphology of Turkeys. Poult. Sci. 87:1075-1082. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00379
- Gowda, N. K. S., D. R. Ledoux, G. E. Rottinghaus, A. J. Bermudez and Y. C. Chen. 2008. Efficacy of turmeric (Curcuma longa), containing a known level of curcumin, and a hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate to ameliorate the adverse effects of aflatoxin in broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 87:1125-1130. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00313
- Groves, F. D., L. Zhang, Y. S. Chang, P. F. Ross, H. Casper, W. P. Norred, Y. W. Cheng and Fraumeni. 1999. Fusarium mycotoxins in corn and corn products in a high-risk area for gastric cancer in Shandong province, China. J. AOAC Int. 82:657-662.
- Huwig, A., S. Freimund, O. Kappeli and H. Dutler. 2001. Mycotoxin detoxication of animal feed by different adsorbents. Toxicol. Lett. 122:179-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4274(01)00360-5
- Julia, E. D., C. P. Athanasios, F. Karadas, K. S. Brian and F. S. Peter. 2007. Protective effect of modified glucomannans and organic selenium against antioxidant depletion in the chicken liver due to T-2 toxin-contaminated feed consumption. Toxicol. Appl. Pharmacol. 145:582-587.
- Kubena, L. F., R. B. Harvey, S. A. Buckley, T. S. Edrington and G. E. Rottinghaus. 1997. Individual and combined effects of moniliformin present in fusarium fujikuroi culture material and aflatoxinin broiler chicks. Poul. Sci. 76:265-270. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.2.265
- Mathur, S., P. D. Constable and R. M. Eppley. 2001. Fumonisin B1 is hepatotoxic and nephrotoxic in milk-fed calves. Toxicol. Sci. 60:385-396. https://doi.org/10.1093/toxsci/60.2.385
- Matsui, Y. and M. Watanabe. 1988. Quantitative analysis of fusaric acid in the cultural filtrate and soybean plants inoculated with Fusarium oxysporum var. redolens. J. Rakuno GakuenUniv. Nat. Sci. 13:159-167.
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient requirements of swine (10th Ed.). National Academic Press, Washington, DC.
- Pasha, T. N., M. U. Farooq, F. M. Khattak, M. A. Jabbar and A. D. Khan. 2007. Effectiveness of sodium bentonite and two commercial products as aflatoxin absorbents indiets for broiler chickens. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 132:103-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.03.014
- Porter, J. K., C. W. Bacon, E. M. Wray and W. M. Hagler. 1995. Fusaric acid in Fusarium moniliforme cultures, corn, and feeds toxic to livestock and the neurochemical effects in the brain and pineal gland of rats. Nat. Toxins 3:91-100. https://doi.org/10.1002/nt.2620030206
- Raymond, S. L., T. K. Smith and H. V. L. N. Swamy. 2003. Effects of feeding a blend of grains naturally contaminated with Fusarium mycotoxins on feed intake, serum chemistry, and hematology of horses, and the efficacy of a polymeric glucomannan mycotoxin adsorbent. J. Anim. Sci. 81:2123-2130.
- Rezar, V., T. Franki? M. Narat, A. Levart and J. Salobir. 2007. Dose-dependent effects of T-2 toxin on performance, lipid peroxidation, and genotoxicity in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 86:1155-1160. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.6.1155
- Sharma, D., R. K. Asrani, D. R. Ledoux, N. Jindal, G. E. Rottinghaus and K. Gupta. 2008. Indivi-dual and combined effects of fumonisin B1 and moniliformin on clinicopathological and cell-mediated immune response in Japanese quail. Poult. Sci. 87:1039-1051. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00204
- Shi, Y. H., Z. R. Xu, J. L. Feng and C. Z. Wang. 2006. Efficacy of modified montmorillonite nanocomposite to reduce the toxicity of aflatoxin in broiler chicks. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 129:138-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2005.12.006
- Smith, T. K. and M. G. Sousadias. 1993. Fusaric acid content of swine feedstuffs. J. Agric. Food Chem. 41:2296-2298. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00036a014
- Sudakin, D. L. 2003. Trichothecenes in the environment: Relevance to human health. Toxicol. Lett. 143:97-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4274(03)00116-4
- Surai, P. F. and J. E. Dvorska. 2005. Effects of mycotoxins on antioxidant status and immunity. The Mycotoxin Blue Book. D. Diaz, ed. Nottingham Univ. Press, UK. pp. 93-137.
- Watts, C. M., Y. C. Chen, D. R. Ledoux, J. N. Broomhead, A. J. Bermudez and G. E. Rottinghaus. 2003. Effects of multiple mycotoxins and a hydrated sodium calcium aluminosilicate in poultry. Int. J. Poult. Sci. 2(6):372-378. https://doi.org/10.3923/ijps.2003.372.378
- Yiannikouris, A. and J. Jouany. 2002. Mycotoxins in feed and their fate in animals: a review. Anim. Res. 51:81-99. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:2002012
- LPS in weaned pigs vol.18, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1177/1753425912441955
- Performance, serum biochemical responses, and gene expression of intestinal folate transporters of young and older laying hens in response to dietary folic acid supplementation and challenge with Escherichia coli lipopolysaccharide vol.93, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2013-03384
- Mineral adsorbents for prevention of mycotoxins in animal feeds vol.33, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3109/15569543.2014.905604
- Effects of Yeast Glucomannan and Sodium Bentonite on the Toxicity of Aflatoxin in Broilers vol.17, pp.spe, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1590/1516-635xSpecialIssueNutrition-PoultryFeedingAdditives007-014
- Assessment of serum biochemical parameters and pathological changes in broilers with chronic aflatoxicosis fed glucomannan-containing yeast product (Mycosorb) and sodium bentonite vol.59, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1515/bvip-2015-0031
- Abnormal histopathology, fat percent and hepatic apolipoprotein A I and apolipoprotein B100 mRNA expression in fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome and their improvement by soybean lecithin vol.96, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pex163
- Excess of dietary montmorillonite impairs growth performance, liver function, and antioxidant capacity in starter pigs1 vol.95, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2016.1277
- Fumonisins and their analogues in contaminated corn and its processed foods – a review pp.1944-0057, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/19440049.2018.1502476
- Effects of Nano-Composite Adsorbents on the Growth Performance, Serum Biochemistry, and Organ Weights of Broilers Fed with Aflatoxin-Contaminated Feed vol.10, pp.9, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins10090345
- Immunomodulatory effects of phytogenics in chickens and pigs — A review vol.31, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0657