- Volume 24 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Storage Temperature and Time on the Quality of Eggs from Laying Hens at Peak Production
- Jin, Y.H. (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, K.T. (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, W.I. (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Han, Y.K. (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2010.06.08
- Accepted : 2010.08.13
- Published : 2011.02.01
The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of storage temperature and time on the quality parameters of eggs from laying hens at peak production. A total of 576 eggs were obtained from Lohmann Light-Brown hens, which were collected 3 times when the hens were 26, 27, and 28 weeks old. The fresh eggs were collected and measured within 2 h of being laid. Samples of 48 eggs each were stored in chambers for 2, 5, or 10 d inside a refrigerator (
- Ahn, D. U., J. L. Sell, C. Jo, M. Chamruspollert and M. Jeffrey. 1999. Effects of dietary conjugated linoleic acid on the quality characteristics of chicken eggs during refrigerated storage. Poult. Sci. 78:922-928. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/78.6.922
- Akyurek, H. and A. A. Okur. 2009. Effect of storage time, temperature and hen age on egg quality in free-range layer hens. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 8:1953-1958.
- Haugh, R. R. 1937. The Haugh unit for measuring egg quality. US Egg Poult. Mag. 43:522-555, 572-573.
- Heath, J. L. 1977. Chemical and related osmotic changes in egg albumen during storage. Poult. Sci. 56:822-828. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0560822
- Hinton, H. R. 1968. Storage of eggs. In: Egg Quality. A study of the Hen's Egg. T.C. Carter. Ed. Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, Scotland. pp. 251-261.
- Johnson, A. S. and E. S. Merritt. 1955. Heritability of albumen height and specific gravity of eggs from white Leghorns and Barred Rocks and the correlations of these traits with egg production. Poult. Sci. 34:578-587. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0340578
- Jones, D. R. 2006. Conserving and monitoring shell egg quality. Proceedings of the 18th Annual Australian Poultry Science Symposium. pp. 157-165.
- Korean Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries 2008. Guidelines for the Care and Use of Animals in Research. Korean Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Seoul, Korea.
- Lohmann Tierzucht GmbH, 2008. Layer Management Guide Lohmann Brown Classic.
- Maria Elena, C. J., S. G. Leonor, M. B. Eduardo, C. D. Silvia, A. G. Avila, F. M. Benjamin, R. P. Miriam and P. G. R. Fernando. 2006. Shrimp head meal in laying hen rations and its effects on fresh and stored egg quality. INCL. 31: http://www.scielo.org.ve/scielo.php?pid=S0378-18442006001100009&script=sci_arttext.
- Robinson, D. S. 1987. The chemical basis of albumen quality. In: Egg Quality-Current Problems and Recent Advances (Ed. R. G. Wells and C. G. Belyavin). Butterworths, London. pp. 179-191.
- Samli, H. E., A. Agna and N. Senkoylu. 2005. Effects of storage time and temperature on egg quality in old laying hens. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 14:548-533. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/14.3.548
- Scott, T. A. and F. G. Silversides. 2000. The effect of storage and strain of hen on egg quality. Poult. Sci. 79:1725-1729. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.12.1725
- Shenstone, F. S. 1968. The gross composition, chemistry and physicochemical basis of organization of the yolk and white. In: Egg Quality. A study of the Hen's Egg (Ed. T. C. Carter). Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, Scotland. pp. 26-58.
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1989. Statistical Methods. 7th ed. The Iowa State University Press. Ames, Iowa.
- Silversides, F. G. and T. A. Scott. 2001. Effect of storage and layer age on quality of eggs from two lines of hens. Poult. Sci. 80:1240-1245. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/80.8.1240
- Silversides, F. G. and P. Villeneuve. 1994. Is the Haugh unit correction for egg weight valid for eggs stored at room temperature? Poult. Sci. 73:50-55. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0730050
- STATISTIX. 1996. Statistix for Windows, User's Manual. Analytical Software. Tallahassee, Florida.
- Tona, K., O. Onagbesan, B. De Ketelaere, E. Decuypere and V. Bruggeman. 2004. Effects of age of broiler breeders and egg storage on egg quality, hatchability chick quality, chick weight and chick posthatch growth to 42 days. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 13:10-18. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/13.1.10
- Walsh, T. J., R. E. Rizk and J. Brake. 1995. Effects of temperature and carbon dioxide on albumen characteristics, weight loss, and early embryonic mortality of long stored hatching eggs. Poult. Sci. 74:1403-1410. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0741403
- Williams, K. C. 1992. Some factors affecting albumen quality with particular reference to Haugh unit score. World's Poult. Sci. J. 48:5-16. https://doi.org/10.1079/WPS19920002
- Evaluation of Egg Quality Traits in the Wholesale Market in Sri Lanka during the Storage Period vol.54, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.3.209
- Divergent selection for shape of growth curve in Japanese quail. 7. Effect of egg storage at high temperature on embryo development and hatchability vol.54, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2013.853285
- Egg quality traits of local Ghanaian chickens and influence of storage period vol.55, pp.2078-6344, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1017/S2078633614000290
- Dietary Protein Sources Affect Internal Quality of Raw and Cooked Shell Eggs under Refrigerated Conditions vol.28, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.15.0181
- Application of chitosan for improvement of quality and shelf life of table eggs under tropical room conditions vol.52, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-015-1721-7
- Egg volume prediction using machine vision technique based on pappus theorem and artificial neural network vol.52, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-014-1350-6
- The use of propolis extract for the storage of quail eggs pp.1537-0437, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3382/japr/pfv043
- The Effect of Storage Period and Temperature on Egg Quality in Commercial Eggs vol.43, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2016.43.1.31
- Effect of egg freshness on their automatic orientation pp.00225142, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8757
- Quality, protease inhibitor and gelling property of duck egg albumen as affected by storage conditions pp.0975-8402, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-017-2960-6
- Prediction of egg freshness during storage using electronic nose vol.96, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pex193
- Effects of Pistacia terebinthus seed meal and different storage times on egg quality of laying hens vol.47, pp.0, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/rbz4720170322
- QTL mapping of egg albumen quality in egg layers vol.45, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-45-31
- Effect of strain and age on the thick-to-thin albumen ratio and egg composition traits in layer hens vol.59, pp.3, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN17231