- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Growth Performance, Carcass Characteristics and Meat Quality of Boer-Cross Wether and Buck Goats Grazing Marshall Ryegrass
- Solaiman, S. (Department of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Tuskegee University) ;
- Kerth, C. (Department of Animal Sciences, Auburn University) ;
- Willian, K. (Department of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Tuskegee University) ;
- Min, B.R. (Department of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Tuskegee University) ;
- Shoemaker, C. (Department of Agronomy and Soils, Auburn University) ;
- Jones, W. (Department of Animal Sciences, Auburn University) ;
- Bransby, D. (Department of Agronomy and Soils, Auburn University)
- Received : 2010.03.10
- Accepted : 2010.08.05
- Published : 2011.03.01
An experiment was conducted to evaluate the effects of castration on growth performance, carcass characteristics, and meat quality of goat kids. Fourteen Boer-cross buck and wether goat kids (n = 7; initial body weight (BW)
- AOAC. 1998. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem., Gaithersburg, MD.
- Babiker, S. A., I. A. El Khider and S. A. Shafie. 1990. Chemical composition and quality attributes of goat meat and lamb. Meat Sci. 28:273-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(90)90041-4
- Banskalieva, V., T. Sahlu and A. L. Goetsch. 2000. Fatty acid composition of goat muscle fat depots: a review. Small Rum. Res. 37:255-268. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(00)00128-0
- Berg, R. T. and R. M. Butterfield. 1976. New concepts of cattle growth. Page 240 in Sydney Univ. Press, Sydney, Australia.
- Butterfield, R. M. 1988. New concepts of sheep growth. Page168 in Dept. Vet. Anatomy, Univ. Sydney, Australia.
- Colomer-Rocher, F., A. H. Kirton, G. J. K. Mercer and D. M. Duganzich. 1992. Carcass composition of New Zealand Saanen goats slaughtered at different weights. Small Rumin. Res. 7:161-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(92)90205-I
- Cornforth, D. P., A. M. Pearson and R. A. Merkel. 1980. Relationship of mitochondria and sacroplasmic reticulum to cold shortening. Meat Sci. 4:103-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(80)90036-4
- Dhanda, J. S., D. G. Taylor, P. J. Murray and J. E. McCosker. 1999. The influence of goat genotype on the production of Capretto and Chevon carcasses. 2. Meat quality. Meat Sci. 52:363-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00015-7
- Devendra, C. and J. E. Owen. 1983. Quantitative aspects of meat production from goats. World Anim. Rev. 47:19-29.
- Enser, M. 2000. Producing meat for healthy eating. Pages 124-129 in Proc. 46th Int. Congr. Meat Sci. Technol. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Enser, M., K. G. Hallett, B. Hewett, G. A. J. Fursey, J. D. Wood and G. Harrington. 1998. Fatty acid content and composition of UK beef and lamb muscle in relation to production system and implications for human nutrition. Meat Sci. 49:329-341. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00144-7
- Field, R. A. 1971. Effect of castration on meat quality and quantity. J. Anim. Sci. 32:849-858.
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. H. S. Stanley. 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226:497-509.
- Gardener, G. E., L. Kenny, J. T. B. Milton and D. W. Pethick. 1999. Glycogen metabolism and ultimate pH in Merino, first cross and second cross wether lambs as affected by stress before slaughter. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 50:175-181. https://doi.org/10.1071/A98093
- Kirton, H. 1988. Characteristics of goat meat, including carcass quality and methods of slaughter. Pages 13-18 in Goat Meat Production in Asia. Proc. of a Meat Workshop, Tando Jam, Pakistan.
- Kosulwat, S., H. Greenfield, J. Jame, S. Kosulwat, H. Greenfield and J. James. 2003. Lipid composition of Australian retail lamb cuts with differing carcass classification characteristics. Meat Sci. 65:1413-1420. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(03)00064-0
- Mahgoub, O. and G. A. Lodge. 1996. Growth and body composition in meat production of Omani Batina goats. Small Rumin. Res. 19:233-246. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(95)00762-8
- Mahgoub, O., A. J. Khan, R. S. Al-Maqbaly, J. N. Al-Sabahi, K. Anna-Malai and N. M. Al-Sakry. 2002. Fatty acid composition of muscle and fat tissues of Omani Jebel Akhdar goats of different sexes and weights. Meat Sci. 61:381-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00208-X
- Mahgoub, O., I. T. Kadim, N. M. Al-Saqry and R. M. Al-Busaidi. 2004. Effect of body weight and sex on carcass tissue distribution in goats. Meat Sci. 67:577-585. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2003.12.011
- McMillin, K. W., S. Olson, O. Phelps, F. Pinkerton and S. Michel. 1999. Reciprocal Meat Conf. Proc. 52: 79.
- NRC. 2007. Nutrient requirement of sheep, goats, cervids and camelids. Academy Press. Washington, DC.
- Owen, J. E., G. A. Norman, C. A. Philbrooks and N. S. D. Jones. 1978. Studies on the meat production characteristics of Botswana goats and sheep Part III: Carcass tissue composition and distribution. Meat Sci. 2:59-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(78)90022-0
- Park, P. W. and R. E. Goins. 1994. In situ Preparation of FAME for analysis of fatty acid composition in foods. J. Food Sci. 59:1262-1266. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1994.tb14691.x
- Raes, K., S. De Smet and D. Demeyer. 2004. Effect of dietary fatty acids on incorporation of long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid in lamb, beef and pork meat: a review. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 113:199-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2003.09.001
- Rhee, K. S., D. F. Waldron, Y. A. Ziprin and K. C. Rhee. 2000. Fatty acid composition of goat diets vs. intramuscular fat. Meat Sci. 54:313-318. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00094-7
- Simela, L., E. C. Webb and L. Frylinck. 2004. Effect of sex, age, and pre-slaughter conditioning on pH, temperature, tenderness properties and colour of indigenous South African goats. S. Afr. J. Anim. Sci. 34:208-211.
- Sheradin, R., L. C. Hoffman and A. V. Ferreira. 2003. Meat quality of Boer kids and Mutton Merino lambs 1 commercial yields and chemical composition. J. Anim. Sci. 76:63-71.
- Simopoulos, A. P. 2008. The importance of the omega-6/omega-3 fatty acid ratio in cardiovascular disease and other chronic diseases. Exp. Biol. Med. 233:674-688. https://doi.org/10.3181/0711-MR-311
- Solaiman, S. G. 2007. Future outlook of meat goat industry for the U.S. small farms. Pages 7-10 in Notes on Goats. Tuskegee Univ. Publ., Tuskegee, AL.
- Solaiman, S. G., D. Bransby, C. Kerth, B. Blagburn and R. Noble. 2006. A sustainable year-round forage system for goat production in the Southern U.S. Final Report, Project # LS02-141, Southern SARE.
- Tshabalala, P. A., P. E. Strydom, E. C. Webb and H. L. De Kock. 2003. Meat quality of designated South African indigenous goat and sheep breeds. Meat Sci. 65:563-570. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00249-8
- USDA. 2001. Institutional meat purchased specifications for fresh goat. Series 11. USDA, MRP, AMF, Livestock and Seed Program, Washington D.C. Meat Grading Certification Branch.
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and non starch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Warmington, B. G. and A. H. Kirton. 1990. Genetic and non-genetic influences on growth and carcass traits of goats. Small Rumin. Res. 3:147-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/0921-4488(90)90089-O
- Warner, R. D., P. J. Walker, G. A. Edridge and J. C. Barnett. 1998. Effect of marketing procedures and live weight change prior to slaughter and beef carcass and meat quality. Anim. Prod. Australia 22:165-168.
- Warris, P. D., S. C. Kestin, S. C. Brown and L. J. Wilkins. 1984. The time required for recovery from mixing stress in young bulls and preventing DFD. Meat Sci. 10:53-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(84)90031-7
- Webb, E. C., N. H. Casey and L. Simela. 2005. Goat meat quality. Small Rumin. Res. 60:153-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.06.009
- Crude glycerin in meat goat diets: intake, performance and carcass traits vol.46, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-8478cr20141489