- Volume 24 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Proteomic Analysis of Bovine Longissimus Muscle Satellite Cells during Adipogenic Differentiation
- Rajesh, Ramanna Valmiki (Division of Animal Genomics and Bioinformatics, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Park, Mi-Rim (Division of Animal Genomics and Bioinformatics, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Heo, Kang-Nyeong (Division of Animal Genomics and Bioinformatics, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Yoon, Du-Hak (Division of Animal Genomics and Bioinformatics, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Kim, Tae-Hun (Division of Animal Genomics and Bioinformatics, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Jeong (Division of Animal Genomics and Bioinformatics, National Institute of Animal Science, Rural Development Administration)
- Received : 2010.09.29
- Accepted : 2010.11.22
- Published : 2011.05.01
Satellite cells are skeletal muscle progenitor/stem cells that reside between the basal lamina and plasma membranes of skeletal fibers in vivo. These cells can give rise to both myogenic and adipogenic cells. Given the possible role for differentiation of satellite cells into adipocytes in marbling and in some pathological disorders like sarcopenia, knowledge of the proteins involved in such process remains obscure. Using two-dimensional polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis coupled with mass spectrometry, we investigated the proteins that are differentially expressed during adipogenic differentiation of satellite cells from bovine longissimus muscle. Our proteome mapping strategy to identify the differentially expressed intracellular proteins during adipogenic differentiation revealed a total of 25 different proteins. The proteins up-regulated during adipogenic differentiation of satellite cells like Cathepsin H precursor, Retinal dehydrogenase 1, Enoyl-CoA hydratase, Ubiquinol-cytochrome-c reductase, T-complex protein 1 subunit beta and ATP synthase D chain were found to be associated with lipid metabolism. The down-regulated proteins like LIM protein, annexin proteins, cofilin-1, Rho GDP-dissociation inhibitor 1 and septin-2, identified in the present study were found to be associated with myogenesis. These results clearly demonstrate that the adipogenic conversion of muscle satellite cells is associated with the up-regulated and down-regulated proteins involved in adipogenesis and myogenesis respectively.
- Ahmed, M. and P. Bergsten. 2005. Glucose-induced changes of multiple mouse islet proteins analysed by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis and mass spectrometry. Diabetologia 48:477-485. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-004-1661-7
- Ailhaud, G., P. Grimaldi and R. Negrel. 1992. Cellular and molecular aspects of adipose tissue development. Annu. Rev. Nutr. 12:207-233. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.12.070192.001231
- Allen, R. E. and L. L. Rankin. 1990. Regulation of satellite cells during skeletal muscle growth and development. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 94:81-86.
- Asakura, A., M. Komaki and M. Rudnicki. 2001. Muscle satellite cells are multipotential stem cells that exhibit myogenic, osteogenic and adipogenic differentiation. Differentiation 68:245-253. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1432-0436.2001.680412.x
- Bernard, C., I. Cassar-Malek, M. Le Cunff, H. Dubroeucq, G. Renand and J. F. Hocquette. 2007. New indicators of beef sensory quality revealed by expression of specific genes. J. Agric. Food Chem. 55:5229-5237. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf063372l
- Bernlohr, D. A., M. A. Bolanowski, T. J. Kelly Jr and M. D. Lane. 1985. Evidence for an increase in transcription of specific mRNAs during differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. J. Biol. Chem. 260:5563-5567.
- Brandt, U. and B. Trumpower. 1994. The proton motive Q cycle in mitochondria and bacteria. Crit. Rev. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 29:165-197. https://doi.org/10.3109/10409239409086800
- Brian, B. J., V. E. Anderson and G. A. Petsko. 2002. Structural mechanism of Enoyl-CoA hydratase: Three atoms from a single water are added in either an E1cb stepwise or concerted Fashion. Biochemistry 41:2621-2629. https://doi.org/10.1021/bi015844p
- Bryan, B. A., D. Li, X. Wu and M. Liu. 2005. The Rho family of small GTPases: Crucial regulators of skeletal myogenesis. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 62:1547-1555. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00018-005-5029-z
- Burton, N. M., J. Vierck, L. Krabbenhoft, K. Bryne and M. V. Dodson. 2000. Methods for animal satellite cell culture under a variety of conditions. Methods Cell Sci. 22:51-61. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1009830114804
- Campion, D. R. 1984. The muscle satellite cell: a review. Int. Rev. Cytol. 87:225-251. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0074-7696(08)62444-4
- Charge, S. B. and M. A. Rudnicki. 2004. Cellular and molecular regulation of muscle regulation. Physiol. Rev. 84:209-238. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00019.2003
- Chaze, T., B. Meunier, C. Chambon, C. Jurie and B. Picard. 2008. In vivo proteome dynamics during early bovine myogenesis. Proteomics 8:4236-4248. https://doi.org/10.1002/pmic.200701101
- Chung, K. Y. and B. J. Johnson. 2008. Application of cellular mechanisms to growth and development of food producing animals. J. Anim. Sci. 86:E226-E235.
- Chung, K. Y., D. K. Lunt, C. B. Choi, S. H. Chae, R. D. Rhoades, T. H. Adams, B. Boren and S. B. Smith. 2006. Lipid characteristics of subcutaneous adipose tissue and M. Longissimus thoracis of Angus and Wagyu steers fed to U.S. and Japanese endpoints. Meat Sci. 73:431-442.
- Cooper, R. N., S. Tajbakhsh, V. Mouly, G. Cossu, M. Buckingham and G. S. Butler-Browne. 1999. In vivo satellite cell activation via Myf5 and MyoD in regenerating mouse skeletal muscle. J. Cell Sci. 112:2895-2901.
- Doumit, M. E. and R. A. Merkel. 1992. Conditions for the isolation and culture of porcine myogenic satellite cells. Tissue Cell 24:253-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/0040-8166(92)90098-R
- Dovas, A. and J. R. Couchman. 2005. RhoGDI: Multiple functions in the regulation of Rho family GTPase activities. Biochem. J. 390:1-9. https://doi.org/10.1042/BJ20050104
- Florini, J. R., D. Z. Ewton and K. A. Magri. 1991. Hormones, growth factors, and myogenic differentiation. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 53:201-216. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ph.53.030191.001221
- Grounds, M. D., K. L. Garrett, M. C. Lai, W. E. Wright and M. W. Beilharz. 1992. Identification of skeletal muscle precursor cells in vivo by use of MyoD1 and myogenin probes. Cell Tissue Res. 267:99-104. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00318695
- Hellmann, U., C. Wemstedt, J. Gonez and C. H. Heldin. 1995. Improvement of an "In-gel" digestion procedure for the micropreparation of internal protein fragments for amino acid sequencing. Anal. Biochem. 224:451-455. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1995.1070
- Holterman, C. E. and M. A. Rudnicki. 2005. Molecular regulation of satellite cell function. Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 16:575-584. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semcdb.2005.07.004
- Hu, E., P. Tontonoz and B. M. Spiegelman. 1995. Transdifferentiation of myoblast by the adipogenic transcription factors PPAR gamma and C/EBP alpha. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 92:9856-9860. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.92.21.9856
- Kim, B. W., H. J. Choo, J. W. Lee, J. H. Kim and Y. G. Ko. 2004. Extracellular ATP is generated by ATP synthase complex in adipocyte lipid rafts. Exp. Mol. Med. 36:476-485. https://doi.org/10.1038/emm.2004.60
- Kim, N. K., S. H. Lee, Y. M. Cho, E. S. Son, K. Y. Kim, C. S. Lee, D. Yoon, S. K. Im, S. J. Oh and E. W. Park. 2009. Proteome analysis of the m. longissimus dorsi between fattening stages in Hanwoo steer. BMB Rep. 42:433-438. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2009.42.7.433
- Kinoshita, M. 2006. Diversity of septin scaffolds. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 18:54-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceb.2005.12.005
- Kokta, T. A., M. V. Dodson, A. Gertler and R. A. Hill. 2004. Intercellular signaling between adipose tissue and muscle tissue. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 27:303-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2004.05.004
- Kong, Y., M. J. Flick, A. J. Kudla and S. F. Konieczny. 1996. Muscle LIM protein promotes myogenesis by enhancing the activity of MyoD. Mol. Cell. Biol. 17:4750-4760.
- Kook, S. H., K. C. Choi, Y. O. Son, K. Y. Lee, I. H. Hwang, H. J. Lee, J. S. Chang, I. H. Choi and J. C. Lee. 2006. Satellite cells isolated from adult Hanwoo muscle can proliferate and differentiate into myoblast and adipose-like cells. Mol. Cells 22:239-245.
- Kunej, T., Z. Wang, J. J. Michal, T. F. Daniels, N. S. Magnuson and Z. Jiang. 2007. Functional UQCRC1 polymorphisms affect promoter activity and body lipid accumulation. Obes. Res. 15:2896-2901. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2007.344
- Landry, F., C. R. Lombardo and J. W. Smith. 2000. A method for application of samples to Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization Time-of-Flight targets that enhances peptide detection. Anal. Biochem. 279:1-8. https://doi.org/10.1006/abio.1999.4468
- Lennon, N. J., A. Kho, B. J. Bacskai, S. L. Perlmutter, B. T. Hyman and R. H. Brown Jr. 2003. Dysferlin interacts with Annexins A1 and A2 and Mediates Sarcolemmal Wound-healing. J. Biol. Chem. 278:50466-50473. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M307247200
- Mauro, A. 1961. Satellite cell of skeletal muscle fibers. J. Biophys. Biochem. Cytol. 9:493-495. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.9.2.493
- Mora, M. 1989. Fibrous-adipose replacement in skeletal muscle biopsy. Eur. Heart J. 10:103-104. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/10.suppl_D.103
- Nagaoka, R., K. Kusano, H. Abe and T. Obinata. 1995. Effects of cofilin on actin filamentous structures in cultured muscle cells Intracellular regulation of cofilin action. J. Cell Sci. 108:581-593.
- Olson, E. N. 1992. Interplay between proliferation and differentiation within myogenic lineage. Dev. Biol. 154:261-272. https://doi.org/10.1016/0012-1606(92)90066-P
- Perez-Perez, R., F. J. Ortega-Delgado, E. Garcia-Santos, J. A. Lopez, E. Camafeita, W. Ricart, J. M. Fernandez-Real and B. Peral. 2009. Differential proteomics of omental and subcutaneous adipose tissue reflects their unalike biochemical and metabolic properties. J. Proteome Res. 8:1682-1693. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr800942k
- Pethick, D. W., D. N. D'Souza, F. R. Dunshea and G. S. Harper. 2005. Fat metabolism and regional distribution in ruminants and pigs-influences of genetics and nutrition. Rec. Adv. Anim. Nutr. Aust. 15:39-45.
- Punturieri, A., S. Filippov, E. Allen, I. Caras, R. Murray, V. Reddy and S. J. Weiss. 2000. Regulation of elastinolytic cysteine proteinase activity in normal and cathepsin K-deficient human macrophages. J. Exp. Med. 192:789-799. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.192.6.789
- Ramirez-Zacarias, J. L., F. Castro-Munozledo and W. Kuri-Harcuch. 1992. Quantization of adipose conversion and triglycerides by staining intracytoplasmic lipids with Oil Red O. Histochemistry 97:493-497. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00316069
- Renesa, J., F. Bouwmana, J. P. Nobenb, C. Eveloc, J. Robbenb and E. Mariman. 2005. Protein profiling of 3T3-L1 adipocyte differentiation and (tumor necrosis factor a-mediated) starvation. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 62:492-503. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00018-004-4498-9
- Singh, N. K., H. S. Chae, I. H. Hwang, Y. M. Yoo, C. N. Ahn, S. H. Lee, H. J. Lee, H. J. Park and H. Y. Chung. 2007. Transdifferentiation of porcine satellite cells to adipoblasts with ciglitizone. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1126-1135. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-524
- Wang, Y. H., K. A. Byrne, A. Reverter, G. S. Harper, M. Taniguchi, S. M. McWilliam, H. Mannen, K. Oyama and S. A. Lehnert. 2005a. Transcriptional profiling of skeletal muscle tissue from two breeds of cattle. Mamm. Genome 16:201-210. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00335-004-2419-8
- Wang, Y. H., A. Reverter, H. Mannen, M. Taniguchi, G. S. Harper, K. Oyama, K. A. Byrne, A. Oka, S. Tsuji and S. A. Lehnert. 2005b. Transcriptional profiling of muscle tissue in growing Japanese Black cattle to identify genes involved with the development of intramuscular fat. Aust. J. Exp. Agric. 45:809-820. https://doi.org/10.1071/EA05058
- Yada, E., K. Yamanouchi and M. Nishihara. 2006. Adipogenic potential of satellite cells from distinct skeletal muscle origins in the rat. J. Vet. Med. Sci. 68:479-486. https://doi.org/10.1292/jvms.68.479
- Yamanouchi, K., E. Yada, N. Ishiguro, T. Hosayama and M. Nishihara. 2006. Increased adipogenicity of cells from regenerating skeletal muscle cells. Exp. Cell Res. 312:2701-2711. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yexcr.2006.04.014
- Yang, M., Y. Zhang, J. Pan, J. Sun, J. Liu, P. Libby, G. K. Sukhora, A. Doria, N. Katunuma, O. D. Peroni, M. Guerre-Millo, B. B. Kahn, K. Clement and G. D. Shi. 2007. Cathepsin L activity controls adipogenesis and glucose tolerance. Nat. Cell Biol. 9:970-977.
- Yeow, K., B. Phillips, C. Dani, C. Cabane, E. Zoubir Amri and B. Derijarda. 2001. Inhibition of myogenesis enables adipogenic trans-differentiation in the C2C12 myogenic cell line. FEBS Lett. 506:157-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(01)02900-3
- Ziouzenkova, Q., G. Orasanu, M. Sharlach, T. E. Akiyama, J. P. Berger, J. Viereck, J. A. Hamilton, G. Tang, G. G. Dolnikowski, S. Vogel, G. Duester and J. Plutzky. 2007. Retinaldehyde represses adipogenesis and diet-induced obesity. Nat. Med. 13:695-702. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm1587
- Glycerol-induced injury as a new model of muscle regeneration vol.374, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00441-018-2846-6