- Volume 24 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Behavioral Aspects of Captive Alpine Musk Deer during Non-mating Season: Gender Differences and Monthly Patterns
- Meng, Xiuxiang (College of Life and Environment Sciences, Minzu University of China) ;
- Zhao, Changjie (College of Life and Environment Sciences, Minzu University of China) ;
- Hui, Cenyi (College of Life and Environment Sciences, Minzu University of China) ;
- Luan, Xiaofeng (College of Nature Conservation, Beijing Forestry University)
- Received : 2010.11.24
- Accepted : 2011.03.07
- Published : 2011.05.01
The objective of the present study was to determine gender-related and month-related behavioral differences in captive alpine musk deer. The study was conducted at Xinglongshan Musk Deer Farm (XMDF) of Xinglongshan National Nature Reserve in Gansu Province of western China. The integrated method of focal sampling and all occurrence recording was utilized to quantify the behavioural patterns of 45 captive alpine musk deer (Moschus sifanicus) during non-mating season (from August
- Berger, J. 1992. Facilitation of reproductive synchrony by gestation adjustment in gregarious mammals: a new hypothesis. Ecol. 13(1):323-329.
- Bowyer, R. T. 1981. Activity movement and distribution of Roosevelt elk during rut. J. Mamm. 62:574-582. https://doi.org/10.2307/1380404
- Castle, D. L., A. Whitens and F. Aurell. 1999. Social anxiety, relationships and self-directed behaviour among wild female olive baboons. Anim. Behav. 58:1207-1215. https://doi.org/10.1006/anbe.1999.1250
- Du, W. and H. Sheng. 1998. Time budget and behaviour of forest musk deer during lactation. Acta Theriol. Sinica. 15(2):98-105 (in Chinese, with English abstract).
- Green, M. J. B. 1987a. Diet composition and quality in Himalayan musk deer based on faecal analysis. J. Wildl. Mgmt. 51:880-892. https://doi.org/10.2307/3801755
- Green, M. J. B. 1987b. Scent-marking in the Himalayan musk deer. J. Zool. (Lond.) 1:721-737. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1096-3642.1987.tb00752.x
- Homes, V. 1999. On the scent: Conserving musk deer - the uses of musk and Europe's role in its trade. TRAFFIC Europe.
- Hunter, L. T. B. and J. D. Skinner. 1998. Vigilance behaviour in African ungulates: the role of predation pressure. Behav. 135:195-211. https://doi.org/10.1163/156853998793066320
- Jiang, Y. 1998. The reproduction of the captive alpine musk deer. Chin. J. Zool. 21(4):23-25 (in Chinese, with English abstract).
- Komers, P. E. 1999. Timing of estrus in fallow deer is adjusted to the age of available mates. Am. Nat. 153:431-436. https://doi.org/10.1086/303185
- Meng, X., Q. Yang, Z. Feng and L. Xia. 2002. Seasonal active patterns of captive alpine musk deer. Acta Theriol. Sinica. 22(2):87-97 (in Chinese, with English abstract).
- Meng, X., Q. Yang, L. Xia, Z. Feng, Y. Jiang and P. Wang. 2003a. The temporal estrous patterns of female alpine musk deer in captivity. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 82:75-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(03)00013-3
- Meng, X., Q. Yang, Z. Feng, L. Xia, Y. Jiang and P. Wang. 2003b. Timing and synchrony of parturition in Alpine musk deer. Folia Zool. 52(1):39-50.
- Meng, X., C. Zhou, J. Hu and C. Li. 2006. The musk deer farming in China. Anim. Sci. 82:1-6.
- Parry-Jones, R. and J. Y. Wu. 2001. Musk deer farming as a conservation tool in China. TRAFFIC, East Asia, Hong Kong.
- Price, E. O. 1984. Behavioural aspects of animal domestication. Q. Rev. Biol. 59:1-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-185X.1984.tb00401.x
- Sheng, H. and N. Ohtaishi. 1993. The status of deer in China. In: Deer of China: Biology and Managementm (Ed. N. Ohtaishi and H. Sheng), Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pp. 14-29.
- Sullivan, K. A. 1988. Ontogeny of time budgets in yellow-eyed juncos: adaptation to ecological constraints. Ecol. 69:118-124. https://doi.org/10.2307/1943166
- Xu, Z. and H. Xu. 2003. Population characteristics and fawn survival in musk deer (Moshus moschiferus). Acta Theriol. Sinica, 23(1):17-20 (in Chinese, with English abstract).
- Yang, Q., X. Meng, Z. Feng and L. Xia. 2003. Conservation status and causes of decline on musk deer in China. Biol. Conser. 109:333-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-3207(02)00159-3
- Zhou, Y., X. Meng, J. Feng, Q. Yang, Z. Feng and B. Ludek. 2004. Review of the distribution, status and conservation of musk deer in china. Folia Zool. 53(2):129-140.
- Zhang, B. 1979. The farming and raising of musk deer. Agriculture Press, Beijing (in Chines).
- Zhang, B. 1983. Musk deer: Their capture, domestication and care according to Chinese experience and methods. Unasylva. 35:16-24.
- Quantified Analyses of Aggression Pattern in a Captive Population of Musk Deer (Moschus Sifanicus) vol.12, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.2478/v10220-012-0035-1
- Behavioral and physiological responses of forest musk deer (Moschus berezovskii) to experimental fawn manipulation vol.19, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10211-015-0232-x