- Volume 49 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Synthesis and Evaluation of Thermo-stable Organic Solderability Preservatives Based Upon Poly(vinyl pyridine-co-methylmethacrylate)
폴리(비닐피리딘-co-메틸메타아크릴레이트) 기반 열안정성 유기솔더보존제의 합성 및 평가
- Bui, Tien Van (School of Applied Chemistry and Biological Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Choi, Ho-Suk (School of Applied Chemistry and Biological Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Seo, Chung-Hee (HubeGlobal Co.) ;
- Jang, Young-Sic (HubeGlobal Co.) ;
- Heo, Ik-Sang (HubeGlobal Co.)
- Published : 2011.04.30
Recent popularity in mobile electronics requires higher standard on the mechanical strength of electronic packaging. Thus, the method of soldering between chip and substrate in electronic packaging process is changing from conventional method using intermetallic compound to a new method using organic solderability preservatives (OSP) in order to improve the stability and the reliability of final product. Since current OSPs have several serious problems like thermo-stability during packaging process, however, it is necessary to develop new OSPs having thermo-stability. The main purpose of this study is to develop various thermo-stable OSPs based upon poly(vinyl pyridine-co- methylmethacrylate) and to evaluate their anti-oxidation property protecting Cu pad, thermo-stability and solubility to acid- or alcohol-containing aqueous solution during pos-fluxing. All OSPs showed not only good anti-oxidation property, thermo-stability and solubility but also more advantages like low cost, less odor, and less hygroscopic.
- Tummala, R., Rymaszewski, E. J. and Klopfenstein, A. G., Microelectronic Packaging Handbook, International Thompson Publishing, Vol. 2, 2nd Edition, New York(1997).
- Tummala, R., "SOP: Microelectronic Systems Packaging Technology for the 21st Century," Advancing Microelectronics, 26(3), 29(1999).
- Tee, T. Y., Luan, J., Pek, E., Limb, C. T. and Zhong, Z., Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 1088(2004).
- Zhang, X., Tee, and T. Y., Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 593(2004).
- Tee, T. Y., Ng, H. S., Lini, C. T., Pck, E. and Zhong, Z., Electronic Components and Technology Conference, 121(2004).
- Denis, V. and Gilles, C., Electronic Manufacturing Technology Symposium, 18th IEEE/CMPT International., 101(1995).
- Watanabe, Y., International Symposium on Advanced Packaging Materials, 165(2001).
- Lee, D.-J. and Lee, H.-S., "Major Factors to the Solder Joint Strength of ENIG Layer in FC BGA Package," Microelectronics Reliability, 46, 1119-1127(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2005.08.006
- Chang, D., Bai, F., Wang, Y. P. and Hsiao, C. S., Electronics Packaging Technology Conference, 149(2004).
- Lee, H. S., Huh, H. and Park, S. E., "Method for Manufacturing BGA Package Using Organic Solderability Preservatives," Korea Patent No. 547,352(2006).
- Choi, H. S., Lee, C. S., Huh, K. M., Lee, H. J., Im, J. H., Lee, H. S. and Kim, C. H., "Organic Solderability Preservatives on Solder Pad for Microelectronic Package Applications and Preparation Method Thereof," Korea Patent No. 762,961(2007).
- Malynych, S., Luzinov, I. and Chumanov, G., "Poly(Vinyl Pyridine) as a Universal Surface Modifier for Immobilization of Nanoparticles," J. Phys. Chem. B, 106, 1280-1285(2002). https://doi.org/10.1021/jp013236d
- Im, J. H., Lee, H. J., Huh, K. M., Kim, C. H., Lee, H. S., Lee, C. S. and Choi, H. S., "Preparation and Evaluation of Poly(vinyl pyridine) Copolymers for Organic Solderability Preservatives," Polymer(Korea), 30(6), 519-524(2006).
- Lee, J. W., Kim, C. H., Lee, H. S., Huh, K. M., Lee, C. S. and Choi, H. S., "Effect of MeOH/IPA Ratio on Coating and Fluxing of Organic Solderability Preservatives," Korean Chem. Eng. Res. (HWAHAK NONGHAK), 46(2), 402-407(2008).
- Kim, D. H. and Jo, W. H., "Studies on Polymer-Metal Interfaces. 2. Competitive Adsorption between Oxygen- and Nitrogen-Containing Functionality in Model Copolymers onto Metal Surfaces," Macromolecules, 33, 3050-3058(2000). https://doi.org/10.1021/ma982003q
- Lee, L. H., "Molecular Bonding and Adhesion at Polymer-Metal Interphases," J. Adhesion, 46, 15-38(1994). https://doi.org/10.1080/00218469408026646
- Brandrup, J. and Immergut, E. H., Polymer Handbook, 3rd ed., John Wiley and Sons, New York(1989).