- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Optimization of Product Design to Reduce Environmental Impact of Machining
Taha, Zahari;Gonzales, Julirose;Sakundarini, Novita;Ghazila, Raja Ariffin Raja;Rashid, Salwa Abdul
- Received : 2011.01.04
- Accepted : 2011.05.13
- Published : 2011.06.01
This paper presents a study on product design optimization to reduce the environmental impact of machining. The objective is to analyze the effect of changing the product design parameters such as its dimensions, and basic features on the environmental impact of machining process in terms of its energy consumption, waste produced and the chemicals and other consumables used up during the process. To realize this objective, we used a CAD model of a product with different design scenarios, and analyze their energy consumption using an environmental impact calculator method developed. The waste produced, and the consumables used up, such as lubricants and coolants were analyzed using environmental emission factors. Optimization methods using Genetic Algorithm and Goal Programming are applied to the product design parameters in order to get the best possible product dimensions with the least environmental impact of the machining process.
Eco-Design;Life Cycle Inventory;Life Cycle Design;CAD/CAM
- Forster, P., Ramaswamy, V. et al. (2007), Changes in Atmospheric Constituents and in Radiative Forcing. In: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA. Chapter 2, 210.
- Arakawa, Yuki, Aoyama, Hideki (2007), Basic Study on Development of System to Determine Machining Conditions for Minimizing Energy Consumed in Machine Tool. The 4th International Conference on Leading Edge Manufacturing in 21st Century. Fukuoka, Japan. Nov. 7-9, 2007.
- Taha, Sukandirini, Ariffin, R. (2000), Implementation of Design for Environment in Indonesia and Malaysia Industries: A Survey. Proceeding Asia Pasific Industrial Engineering and Management Systems, Bali, Indonesia.
- Available Online: Copenhagen Accord (2009), http://unfccc.int/files/meetings/cop_15/application/pdf/cop15_cph_auv.pdf.
- Narita, H., Kawamura, H., Norihisa, T., Chen, L., Fujimoto, H., and Hasebe, T. (2006), "Development of Prediction System for Environmental Burden for Machine Tool Operation (1st Report, Proposal of Calculation Method for Environmental Burden)," Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers: International Journal, Series C, 49(4), 1188-1195.
- Oberg, E., Jones, F., Horton, H., and Ryffel, H. (2004), Machinery's handbook, Industrial Press New York.
- Bicik, J., Morley, M., and Savi, D. (2008), A Rapid Optimization Prototyping Tool for Spreadsheet Based Models, ASCE.
- Optimal product design for life cycle assessment (LCA) with the case study of universal motors vol.17, pp.9, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-016-0148-z