- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Prevalence, Pathophysiology, Screening and Management of Osteoporosis in Gastric Cancer Patients
- Lim, Jung-Sub (Department of Pediatrics, Korea Cancer Central Hospital) ;
- Lee, Jong-Inn (Department of Surgery, Korea Cancer Central Hospital)
- Received : 2011.02.24
- Accepted : 2011.03.02
- Published : 2011.03.31
Osteoporosis in gastric cancer patients is often overlooked or even neglected despite its high prevalence in these patients. Considering that old age, malnutrition, chronic disease, chemotherapy, decreased body mass index and gastrectomy are independent risk factors for osteoporosis, it is reasonable that the prevalence of osteoporosis in gastric cancer patients would be high. Many surviving patients suffer from back pain and pathological fractures, which are related to osteoporosis. Fractures have obvious associated morbidities, negative impact on quality of life, and impose both direct and indirect costs. In the era of a >55.6% 5-year survival rate of gastric cancer and increased longevity in gastric cancer patients, it is very important to eliminate common sequelae such as osteoporosis. Fortunately, the diagnosis of osteoporosis is well established and many therapeutic agents have been shown to be effective and safe not only in postmenopausal females but also in elderly males. Recently, effective treatments of gastric cancer patients with osteoporosis using bisphosphonates, which are commonly used in postmenopausal woman, were reported.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P. Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin 2005;55:74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Lee HJ, Yang HK, Ahn YO. Gastric cancer in Korea. Gastric Cancer 2002;5:177-182. https://doi.org/10.1007/s101200200031
- Liedman B. Symptoms after total gastrectomy on food intake, body composition, bone metabolism, and quality of life in gastric cancer patients--is reconstruction with a reservoir worthwhile? Nutrition 1999;15:677-682. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(99)00123-9
- Bernstein CN, Leslie WD, Leboff MS. AGA technical review on osteoporosis in gastrointestinal diseases. Gastroenterology 2003;124:795-841. https://doi.org/10.1053/gast.2003.50106
- Lim JS, Kim SB, Bang HY, Cheon GJ, Lee JI. High prevalence of osteoporosis in patients with gastric adenocarcinoma following gastrectomy. World J Gastroenterol 2007;13:6492-6497. https://doi.org/10.3748/wjg.13.6492
- Iba K, Wada T, Takada J, Yamashita T. Multiple insufficiency fractures with severe osteoporosis. J Orthop Sci 2003;8:717-720. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00776-003-0685-z
- Cui LH, Choi JS, Shin MH, Kweon SS, Park KS, Lee YH, et al. Prevalence of osteoporosis and reference data for lumbar spine and hip bone mineral density in a Korean population. J Bone Miner Metab 2008;26:609-617. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00774-007-0847-8
- Liedman B, Bosaeus I, Mellstrom D, Lundell L. Osteoporosis after total gastrectomy. Results of a prospective, clinical study. Scand J Gastroenterol 1997;32:1090-1095. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365529709002986
- Adachi Y, Shiota E, Matsumata T, Iso Y, Yoh R, Kitano S. Osteoporosis after gastrectomy: bone mineral density of lumbar spine assessed by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Calcif Tissue Int 2000;66:119-122. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002230010025
- Orwoll ES, Bevan L, Phipps KR. Determinants of bone mineral density in older men. Osteoporos Int 2000;11:815-821. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001980070039
- Baek KH, Jeon HM, Lee SS, Lim DJ, Oh KW, Lee WY, et al. Short-term changes in bone and mineral metabolism following gastrectomy in gastric cancer patients. Bone 2008;42:61-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2007.08.027
- Melton LJ 3rd, Crowson CS, Khosla S, O'Fallon WM. Fracture risk after surgery for peptic ulcer disease: a populationbased cohort study. Bone 1999;25:61-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/S8756-3282(99)00097-6
- Mellstrom D, Rundgren A. Long-term effects after partial gastrectomy in elderly men. A longitudinal population study of men between 70 and 75 years of age. Scand J Gastroenterol 1982;17:433-439. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365528209182082
- Klein KB, Orwoll ES, Lieberman DA, Meier DE, McClung MR, Parfitt AM. Metabolic bone disease in asymptomatic men after partial gastrectomy with Billroth II anastomosis. Gastroenterology 1987;92:608-616.
- Bisballe S, Eriksen EF, Melsen F, Mosekilde L, Sorensen OH, Hessov I. Osteopenia and osteomalacia after gastrectomy: interrelations between biochemical markers of bone remodelling, vitamin D metabolites, and bone histomorphometry. Gut 1991;32:1303-1307. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.32.11.1303
- Eddy RL. Metabolic bone disease after gastrectomy. Am J Med 1971;50:442-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(71)90333-0
- Kwon SJ, Hahm JS, Cho YJ, Ahn Y, Shin DI. The influence of gastrectomy on the change of bone metabolism and bone density. Korean J Intern Med 2000;15:25-31.
- Th ompson GR. Vitamin D defi ciency aft er gastrectomy. Sci Basis Med Annu Rev 1970:260-275.
- Tovey FI, Hall ML, Ell PJ, Hobsley M. A review of postgastrectomy bone disease. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1992;7:639-645. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.1992.tb01498.x
- Holick MF. The vitamin D epidemic and its health consequences. J Nutr 2005;135:2739S-2748S.
- Filipponi P, Gregorio F, Cristallini S, Mannarelli C, Blass A, Scarponi AM, et al. Partial gastrectomy and mineral metabolism: effects on gastrin-calcitonin release. Bone Miner 1990;11:199-208. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-6009(90)90059-O
- Nilas L, Christiansen C. Influence of PTH and 1,25(OH)2D on calcium homeostasis and bone mineral content after gastric surgery. Calcif Tissue Int 1985;37:461-466. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02557827
- Maier GW, Kreis ME, Zittel TT, Becker HD. Calcium regulation and bone mass loss after total gastrectomy in pigs. Ann Surg 1997;225:181-192. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000658-199702000-00006
- Holick MF. Vitamin D deficiency. N Engl J Med 2007;357:266-281. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra070553
- Stava CJ, Jimenez C, Hu MI, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R. Skeletal sequelae of cancer and cancer treatment. J Cancer Surviv 2009;3:75-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11764-009-0083-4
- Davies JH, Evans BA, Jenney ME, Gregory JW. In vitro effects of combination chemotherapy on osteoblasts: implications for osteopenia in childhood malignancy. Bone 2002;31:319-326. https://doi.org/10.1016/S8756-3282(02)00822-0
- Xian CJ, Cool JC, Pyragius T, Foster BK. Damage and recovery of the bone growth mechanism in young rats following 5-fluorouracil acute chemotherapy. J Cell Biochem 2006;99:1688-1704. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.20889
- Ehrhart N, Eurell JA, Tommasini M, Constable PD, Johnson AL, Feretti A. Effect of cisplatin on bone transport osteogenesis in dogs. Am J Vet Res 2002;63:703-711. https://doi.org/10.2460/ajvr.2002.63.703
- Gorouhi F, Islami F, Bahrami H, Kamangar F. Tumour-necrosis factor-A polymorphisms and gastric cancer risk: a metaanalysis. Br J Cancer 2008;98:1443-1451. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6604277
- Fernandez-Martin JL, Kurian S, Farmer P, Nanes MS. Tumor necrosis factor activates a nuclear inhibitor of vitamin D and retinoid-X receptors. Mol Cell Endocrinol 1998;141:65-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0303-7207(98)00094-X
- Ali T, Roberts DN, Tierney WM. Long-term safety concerns with proton pump inhibitors. Am J Med 2009;122:896-903. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2009.04.014
- Chung HY. Osteoporosis diagnosis and treatment 2007. J Korean Endocr Soc 2008;23:76-108. https://doi.org/10.3803/jkes.2008.23.2.76
- World Health Organization. Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Geneva (Switzerland): World Health Organization; 1994 Report No.: WHO Technical Report Series 843.
- Jang JY, Chung HY, Hwang YC, Jeong IK, Ahn KJ, Kwon MK, et al. Dietary calcium intake and bone metabolism in Korean postmenopausal women. Korean J Bone Metabolism 2008;15:143-149.
- NIH Consensus Conference. Optimal calcium intake. NIH Consensus Development Panel on Optimal Calcium Intake. JAMA 1994;272:1942-1948.
- Iwamoto J, Uzawa M, Sato Y, Takeda T, Matsumoto H. Effect of alendronate on bone mineral density and bone turnover markers in post-gastrectomy osteoporotic patients. J Bone Miner Metab 2010;28:202-208. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00774-009-0116-0
- Rodan GA, Fleisch HA. Bisphosphonates: mechanisms of action. J Clin Invest 1996;97:2692-2696. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI118722
- Drake MT, Clarke BL, Khosla S. Bisphosphonates: mechanism of action and role in clinical practice. Mayo Clin Proc 2008;83:1032-1045. https://doi.org/10.4065/83.9.1032
- Gass M, Dawson-Hughes B. Preventing osteoporosis-related fractures: an overview. Am J Med 2006;119(4 Suppl 1):S3-S11.
- Black DM, Cummings SR, Karpf DB, Cauley JA, Th ompson DE, Nevitt MC, et al. Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. Lancet 1996;348:1535-1541. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(96)07088-2