- Volume 24 Issue 8
Preliminary Study on Meat Quality of Goats Fed Levels of Licury Oil in the Diet
DOI QR Code
Silva, Thadeu Mariniello;Oliveira, Ronaldo Lopes;Barbosa, Larissa Pires;Neto, Americo Froes Garcez;Bagaldo, Adriana Regina;Lanna, Dante Pazzanese Duarte;Da Silva, Mauricio Costa Alves;De Jesus, Iona Brito
- 투고 : 2011.03.02
- 심사 : 2011.05.11
- 발행 : 2011.08.01
The study aimed to evaluate the best level of licury oil in the diet of 3/4 Boer goats, as determined by profile analysis of commercial cuts on aspects of chemical composition, sensorial quality and fatty acid content. Nineteen male goats were used, with an initial weight of 10.8 kg/live weigh. The animals were fed with hay and a concentrated mix containing different levels of licury oil, which constituted the treatments. The experiment lasted for 60 days, at which point the animals were submitted to feed fasting and slaughtered. The carcass weight, commercial yield and cuts were measured. The ham was collected for sensorial and chemical evaluation and the longissimus dorsi was collected for fatty acid profile analysis. The addition of licury oil to the diet did not promote changes in the proportions and weights of the commercial cuts, nor to the meat's sensorial attributes. The sum of medium-chain fatty acids and the atherogenicity index was increased with the addition of oil. Licury oil can be added to the diet of goats (up to 4.5%) without resulting in changes in to the proportions of the commercial cuts, or to the chemical composition or sensorial characteristics of the meat. Based on the chain length of fatty acids, the addition of 4.5% licury oil can improve the quality of meat, but no effect was noted in relation to the atherogenicity index.
Fatty Acids;Kids;Lipids;Licury Oil;Ruminants
- AOAC (Association of Analytical Chemists). 1990. Official methods of analysis. 12th ed, 1094.
- Bezerra, F. J., A. L. S. Monte, L. C. N. M. Bezerra and R. T. Nassu. 2000. Chemical Characterization of kid meat from Moxotó goat and Pardo Alpina X Moxoto crossbreeds. Pesq. agropec. bras. 35:171-177. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-204X2000000100019
- Borja, M. S., R. L. Oliveira, C. V. D. M. Ribeiro, A. R. Bagaldo, G. G. P. Carvalho, T. M. Silva, L. S. Lima and L. P. Barbosa. 2010. Effects of feeding licury (Syagrus coronata) cake to growing goats. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:1436-1444. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90574
Carvalho Junior, A. M., J. M. Pereira Filho, R. M. Silva, M. F. Cezar, A. M. A. Silva and A. L. N. Silva. 2009. Effect of supplemental feeding on carcass and non-carcass characteristics of F1 (Boer
$\times$SRD) goats finished on native pasture. Rev. Bras. Zootecn. 38:1301-1308.
- Chardigny, J. M., F. Destaillats, C. Malpuech-Brugère, J. Moulin, D. E. Bauman, A. L. Lock, D. M. Barbano, R. P. Mensink, J. B. Bezelgues, P. Chaumont, N. Combe, I. Cristiani, F. Joffre, J. B. German, F. Dionisi, Y. Boirie and J. L. Sébédio. 2008. Do trans fatty acids from industrially produced sources and from natural sources have the same effect on cardiovascular disease risk factors in healthy subjects? Results of the trans Fatty Acids Collaboration (TRANSFACT) study. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 87:558-566.
- Colomer-Rocher, F., P. Morand-Fehr and A. H. Kirton. 1987. Standard methods and procedures for goat carcass evaluation, jointing and tissue separation. Livest. Prod. Sci. 17:149-159. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(87)90060-1
- Costa, R. G., F. Q. Cartaxo, N. M. Santos, R. C. R. E. Queiroga. 2008. Goat and sheep meat: fatty acids composition and sensorial characteristics. Rev. Bras. Saude Prod. An. 9:497-506.
- Costa, R. G., M. E. C. Vallejo, J. V. D. Bermejo, A. A. Henríquez, A. Vallecillo and N. M. Santos. 2010. Influence of animal gender and production system on the carcass characteristics of goats of the Blanca Serrana Andaluza breed. Rev. Bras. Zootecn. 39:382-386. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982010000200022
- Desai, M. S., M. M. Mariscalco, A. Tawil, J. G. Vallejo and C. W. Smith. 2008. Atherogenic diet-induced hepatitis is partially dependent on murine TLR4. J. Leukoc. Biol. 83:1336-1344. https://doi.org/10.1189/jlb.0607390
- Dhanda, J. S., D. G. Taylor and P. J. Murray. 2003. Part 1. Growth, carcass and meat quality parameters of male goats: effects of genotype and liveweight at slaughter. Small Rumin. Res.50:57-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(03)00112-3
- Dias, A. M. A., M. I. S. Maciel, A. M. V. Batista, F. F. R. Carvalho, A. Guim and G. Silva. 2008. Inclusion of coarse wheat bran in the diet and its effect on physical and sensorial properties of goat meat. Cienc. Tecnol. Aliment. 28:527-533. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0101-20612008000300004
- Dutta, T. K., M. K. Agnihotri and S. B. N. Rao. 2008. Effect of supplemental palm oil on nutrient utilization, feeding economics and carcass characteristics in post-weaned Muzafarnagari lambs under feedlot condition. Small Rumin.s Res. 78:66-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2008.05.002
- Freitas, H. S., C. R. Alcalde, L. S. Lima, F. A. F. Macedo, V. P. Macedo and B. S. L. Molina. 2011. Quantitative characteristics of carcass and meat quality of 3/4 Boer+1/4 Saanen and Saanen goat kids fed diets with dry yeast. Rev. Bras. Zootecn. 40:630-638. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982011000300023
- Geay, Y., D. Bauchart, J. F. Hocquette and J. Culioli. 2001. Effect of nutritional factors on biochemical, structural and metabolic characteristics of muscles in ruminants, consequences on dietetic value and sensorial qualities of meat. Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 41:1-26. https://doi.org/10.1051/rnd:2001108
- Givens, D. I., K. E. Kliem and R. A. Gibbs. 2006. The role of meat as a source of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the human diet. Meat Sci. 74:209-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.008
- Hara, A. and N. S. Radin. 1978. Lipid extraction of tissues with low-toxicity solvent. Anal. Biochem. 90:420-426. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(78)90046-5
- Hashimoto, J. H., C. R. Alcalde, K. T. da Silva, F. A. F. de Macedo, A. A. Mexia, G. A. Santello, E. N. Martins and M. Matsushita. 2007. Characteristics of carcass and meat of feedlot Boer x Saanen kids fed diets with ground corn replaced by soybean hulls. Rev. Bras. Zootecn. 36:165-173. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982007000100020
- Hedrick, H. B., E. D. Aberle, J. C. Forrest, M. D. Judge and R. A. Merkel. 1994. Principles of meat science 1994, 3 ed. San Francisco: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company, 123-132.
- Hu, F. B., J. E. Manson and W. C. Willett. 2001. Types of dietary fat and risk of coronary heart disease: a critical review. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 20:5-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2001.10719008
- Intarapichet, K., W. Pralomkarn and C. Chinajariyawong. 1994. Influence of genotypes and feeding of growth and sensory characteristics of goat meat. Asean Food Journal 9:151-155.
- Jansen, C., N. R. M. Buist and T. Wilson. 1986. Absorption of individual fatty acids from long chain or medium chain triglycerides in very small infants. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 43:745- 751.
- Kadim, I. T., O. Mahgoub, D. S. Al-Ajmi, R. S. Al-Maqbaly, N. M. Al-Saqri and A. Ritchie. 2003. An evaluation of the growth, carcass and meat quality characteristics of Omani goat breeds. Meat Sci. 66:203-210.
- Kaneda, T. 1991. Iso- and anteiso-fatty acids in bacteria: Biosynthesis, function, and taxonomic significance. Microbiol. Rev. 55:288-302.
- Kannan, G., B. Kouakou and S. Gelaye. 2001. Color changes reflecting myoglobin and lipid oxidation in chevon cuts during refrigerated display. Small Rumin. Res. 42:67-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(01)00232-2
- Lee, J. H., B. Kouakou and G. Kannan. 2008. Chemical composition and quality characteristics of chevon from goats fed three different post-weaning diets. Small Rumin. Res. 75: 177-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2007.10.003
- Madruga, M. S., S. G. B. Arruda, E. M. Araújo, L. T. Andrade, J. C. Nascimento and R. G. Costa. 1999. Slaughter age effect on nutritive and sensorial value of the "mestiço" goat meat. Cienc. Tecnol. Aliment. 19:374-379. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0101-20611999000300014
- Madruga, M. S., N. Narain, T. F. Duarte, W. H. de Sousa, M. S. Galvao, M. G. G. Cunha and J. L. F. Ramos. 2005. Chemical and sensorial characteristics of commercial meat cuts of "mesticos" and Boer goats. Cienc. Tecnol. Aliment. 25:713- 719. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0101-20612005000400014
- Madruga, M. S., N. Narain, S. G. B. de Arruda, J. G. Souza, R. G. Costa and F. J. Beserra. 2002. Castration and Slaughter Age Effects on Physical-Chemical, Sensorial and Aromatic Quality of Goat Meat. Rev. Bras. Zootecn. 31:1562-1570. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982002000600028
- Marinova, P., V. Banskalieva, S. Alexandrov, V. Tzvetkova and H. Stanchev. 2001. Carcass composition and meat quality of kids fed sunflower oil supplemented diet. Small Rumin. Res. 42: 217-225. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(01)00245-0
- Mertens, D. R. 1997. Creating a system for meeting the fiber requirements of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 80:1463-1481. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(97)76075-2
- Mir, Z., M. L. Rushfeldt, P. S. Mir, L. J. Paterson and R. J. Weselake. 2000. Effect of dietary supplementation with either conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) or linoleic acid rich oil on the CLA content of lamb tissues. Small Rumin. Res. 36:25-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(99)00087-5
- Rodriguez-Ruiz, J., E. Belarbi, J. L. G. Sanchez and D. L. Alonso. 1998 Rapid simultaneous lipid extraction and transesterification for fatty acid analyses. Biotechnology Techniques 12:689-691. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008812904017
- Rousset-Akrim, S., A. Young and J. L. Berdague. 1997. Diet and growth effects in panel assessment of sheepmeat odour and flavour. Meat Sci. 45:169-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00099-X
- Santos, C. L., J. R. O. Perez, C. A. C. da Cruz, J. A. Muniz, Í. P. A. Santos and T. R. V. Almeida. 2008. Chemical composition of carcass cuts of Santa Ines and Bergamacia lambs. Cienc. Tecnol. Aliment. 28:51-59.
- Sheridan, R., L. C. Hoffman and A. V. Ferreira. 2003. Meat quality of Boer goat kids and Mutton Merino lambs 1. Commercial yields and chemical composition. Anim. Sci. 76:63-71.
- Silva, M. M. C. 2005. Suplementacao de lipídios em dietas para cabras leiteiras. Vicosa: Universidade Federal de Vicosa, 129p. Thesis, Universidade Federal de Vicosa, 2005.
- Tshabalala, P. A., P. E. Strydom, E. C. Webb and H. L. de Kock. 2003. Meat quality of designated South African indigenous goat and sheep breeds. Meat Sci. 65:563-570. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00249-8
- Ulbricht, T. L. V. and D. A. T. Southgate. 1991. Coronary heart disease: seven dietary factors. Lancet 338:985-992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0140-6736(91)91846-M
- Van Soest, P. J., J. B. Robertson and B. A. Lewis. 1991. Methods for dietary fiber, neutral detergent fiber, and nonstarch polysaccharides in relation to animal nutrition. J. Dairy Sci. 74:3583-3597. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(91)78551-2
- Webb, E. C., N. H. Casey and L. Simela. 2005. Goat meat quality. Small Rumin. Res. 60:153-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.06.009
- Young, O. A., J. L. Berdague, C. Viallon, S. Rousset-Akrim and M. Theriez. 1997. Fat-borne volatiles and sheepmeat odour. Meat Sci. 45:183-200. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00100-3
- 1. Production performance of lactating dairy cows at pasture fed concentrate supplemented with licuri oil vol.40, pp.12, 2011, doi:10.5713/ajas.2011.11053
- 2. Composition and fatty acid profile of milk from cows on pasture subjected to licuri oil supplement vol.40, pp.12, 2011, doi:10.5713/ajas.2011.11053
- 3. Sunflower cake from biodiesel production fed to crossbred Boer kids vol.41, pp.1, 2012, doi:10.5713/ajas.2011.11053
- 4. Physicochemical and sensory characteristics of meat from young Nellore bulls fed different levels of palm kernel cake vol.96, pp.10, 2015, doi:10.5713/ajas.2011.11053
- 5. In vitro rumen fermentation characteristics of goat and sheep supplemented with polyunsaturated fatty acids vol.57, pp.8, 2017, doi:10.5713/ajas.2011.11053