- Volume 7 Issue 2
People with obesity or over-weight need nutritional intervention to reduce their weight, because weight loss reduces the incidence rate of chronic diseases such as hypertension, type II diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and cancer in obese people. This study was to develop a system for individualized weight control program available both for wired and wireless internet users. This system is especially useful to users carrying wireless internet mobile device. If they input their physical information (height, weight and waist circumference) and mineral levels measured by hair tissue mineral analysis, the system provides evaluation of their health status and metabolic related functions such as endocrine and carbohydrate tolerance. Based on these evaluations, food menus are then offered to them to manage their health status and to improve their metabolic related physiological functions in a personalized way. The system also provides more information for recommended foods, such as nutritional information, food ingredients, recipes, and videos related to cooking. Bibimbap was selected as an example dish for customized contents for mobile web. Bibimbap is one of the most well-known Korean traditional dishes prepared with various kinds of ingredients including several different kinds of vegetables, meat, and egg so that it is a low calorie dish as well as a well-balanced diet. Therefore, this system developed in this study allows the mobile users to access web site through wired wireless internet everywhere and provides a customized content to the users to manage their weight and finally to achieve a desirable weight.
Wired.Wireless Internet;Weight loss;Adult disease;Bibimba
- K. M. Flegal, M. D. Carrol, C. L. Ogden and L. R. Curtin. "Prevalence and Trends in Obesity Among US Adults, 1999-2008" , JAMA, vol. 303, no. 3, 2010, pp235-241. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2009.2014
- P. T. James, "Obesity: The worldwide epidemic", Clinics in Dermatology, vol. 22, no. 4, 2004, pp276-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clindermatol.2004.01.010
- L. Aronne and K. K. Isoldi, "Overweight and obesity: Key components of cardiometabolic risk", Clinical Cornerstone vol. 8, no. 3, 2007, pp 29-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1098-3597(07)80026-3
- A. Drewnowski, "Concept of a nutritious food: toward a nutrient density score", The American journal of clinical nutrition, vol. 82, no. 4, 2005, pp 721-732.
- I. Abete, M. D. Parra, M. A. Zulet and J. A. Martinez, "Different dietary strategies for weight loss in obesity: role of energy and macronutrient content", Nutrition Research Reviews, vol. 19, 2006, pp5-17. https://doi.org/10.1079/NRR2006112
- I. Abete, A. Astrup, J.A. Martinez, I. Thorsdottir and M.A. Zulet, "Obesity and the metabolic syndrome: role of different dietary macronutrient distribution patterns and specific nutritional components on weight loss and maintenance", Nutrition reviews, vol. 68, no.4, 2010, pp214-231. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2010.00280.x
- K. S. Noh, A Study of Preference and Satisfaction Degrees on the Korean Food for Its Globalization, doctoral dissertation, Graduated School of Sungshin Women's University, 2010.
- S. J. Kim, The present and future of food industry, Baek-san , Seoul, 2007.
- J. Y. Lee, Foreign Consumers' Preference and Evaluation on Korean Food, Master of Science, Seoul National University, Seoul, 2009.
- D. J. Jang, H. J. Yang, D. Y. Kwon and W. Y. Sung, Wired.Wireless Internet Service Enabled Custom Bibimbap(Rice Hash) Contents Design, The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, vol.10, no.7, 2010, pp98-106. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2010.10.7.098
- S.Y. Lee, "Special Theme-mobile web and Smart phone, IT Expert interview", TTA journal, no. 128, 2010, pp20-27.
- Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults—the evidence report. National Institutes of Health. Obes Res vol. 6, suppl 2, 1998, pp51S-209S.
- N. Miekeley, L.M. de Fortes Carvalho, and C.L. Porto da Silveira, Elemental anomalies in hair as indicators of endocrinologic pathologies and deficiencies in calcium and bone metabolism. J Trace Elem Med Biol vol.15, no.1, 2001, pp46-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0946-672X(01)80026-2
- L Wilson, Determination of oxidation type by means of tissue electrolyte ratios. J. Ortho. Med. Vol.1, no.2, 1986.
- L Wilson, Nutritional balancing and Hair Mineral Analysis, L.D. Wilson Consultants,Inc, AZ, 2005.
- M. Długaszek, M. Szopa, J. Rzeszotarski, P. Karbowiak, Magnesium, calcium and trace elements distribution in serum, erythrocytes, and hair of patients with chronic renal failure. Magnes Res. Vol.21, no. 2, 2008, pp109-117.
- S. B. Park, S. W. Choi and A. Y. Nam. Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis and Metabolic Syndrome. Biol Trace Elem Res vol.130, 2009, pp218-228. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12011-009-8336-7
- L.M. Klevay, B.R. Bistrian, C.R. Fleming and C.G.Neumann. Hair analysis in clinical and experimental medicine. Am J Clin Nutr vol.46, no.2, 1987, pp233-236.
- L. Kopito, R. K. Byers and H. Swachman, Lead in hair of children with chronic lead poisoning. N. EngI. J. Med. Vol. 276, 1967, pp949-953. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM196704272761703
- Food values 2009, The Korean Nutrition Society