- Volume 24 Issue 3
Almost all small area estimations are obtained by minimizing the mean squared error. Recently relative error prediction methods have been developed and adapted to small area estimation. Usually the estimators obtained by using relative error prediction is called a shrinkage estimator. Especially when data set consists of large range values, the shrinkage estimator is known as having good statistical properties and an easy interpretation. In this paper we study the shrinkage estimators based on logistic regression type estimators for small area estimation. Some simulation studies are performed and the Economically Active Population Survey data of 2005 is used for comparison.
Shrinkage estimator;mean squared error;logistic mixed model;logistic regression model
- Agresti, A. (2002). Categorical Data Analysis, John Wiley and Son, New York.
- Brown, G., Chambers, R., Heady, P. and Heasman, D. (2001). Evaluation of small area estimation methods - Application to unemployment estimations for U.K. L.F.S., Proceedings of Statistics Canada Symposium 2001.
- Hwang, H.-J. and Shin, K.-I. (2008). Shrinkage prediction for small area estimations, The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 21, 109-123. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2008.21.1.109
- Hwang, H.-J. and Shin, K.-I. (2009). A small area estimation for monthly wage using mean squared percentage error, The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 22, 403-414. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2009.22.2.403
- Jeong, S. O. and Shin, K.-I. (2008). A new nonparametric method for prediction based on mean squared relative error, The Korean Communications in Statistics, 15, 255-264. https://doi.org/10.5351/CKSS.2008.15.2.255
- Kim, Y.-W. and Choi, H.-A. (2004). Small area estimation technique based on logistic model to estimate unemployment rate, The Korean Communications in Statistics, 11, 583-595. https://doi.org/10.5351/CKSS.2004.11.3.583
- Park, H. and Stefanski, L. A. (1997). Relative error prediction, Statistics and Probability Letters, 40, 227-236.
- Rao, J. N. K. (2003). Small Area Estimation, John Wiley and Son, New York.
- Yeo, I.-K., Son, K. and Kim, Y.-W. (2008). Small area estimation via generalized estimating equations and the panel analysis of unemployment rate, The Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 21, 665-674. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2008.21.4.665
- Two Stage Small Area Estimation vol.25, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2012.25.2.293