- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on Advanced Frequency Estimation Technique using Gain Compensation
- Park, Chul-Won (Department of Electrical Engineering, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Shin, Dong-Kwang (Department of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Chul-Hwan (Department of Information and Communication Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Kim, Hak-Man (Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Incheon) ;
- Kim, Yoon-Sang (School of Computer and Science Engineering, Korea University of Technology and Education)
- Received : 2010.10.12
- Accepted : 2011.02.15
- Published : 2011.07.01
Frequency is an important operating parameter for the protection, control, and stability of a power system. Thus, it must be maintained very close to its nominal frequency. Due to the sudden change in generation and loads or faults in a power system, however, frequency deviates from its nominal value. An accurate monitoring of the power frequency is essential for optimum operation and prevention of wide area blackout. Most conventional frequency estimation schemes are based on the DFT filter. In these schemes, the gain error could cause defects when the frequency deviates from the nominal value. We present an advanced frequency estimation technique using gain compensation to enhance the DFT filter-based technique. The proposed technique can reduce the gain error caused when the frequency deviates from the nominal value. Simulation studies are performed using both the data from EMTP-RV software and the user-defined arbitrary signals to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed algorithm. Results show that the proposed algorithm achieves good performance under both steady state tests and dynamic conditions.
- Chul Won Park, "Development of Network Based Frequency Monitoring and Fault Prediction System for Wide Area Intelligent Relaying", 2008 Energy R&D projects, 1 year report, pp. 1-74, 2009.11.
- J. Ren, M. Kezunovic, "Use of Resursive Wavelet Transform for Estimating Power System Frequency and Phasors", IEEE PES T&D Conference, TD2010-000221, 2010.4 https://doi.org/10.1109/TDC.2010.5484474
- C.W. Park, "A Comparative Study of Frequency Estimation Technique using Phasor Angle between Two Phasors and High Speed FIR Filter", KIEE Trans, Vol. 58P, No. 2, pp. 122-129, 2009.6.
- A.G. Phadke, "Synchronized Phasor Measurements - A Historical Overview", IEEE PES summer meeting, pp. 476-479, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TDC.2002.1178427
- Zhou Jie, Zhang Changyin, Hw Wei, Jiang Ping, Cheng Chunling, "Precise Measurement of Power System Frequency and Absolute Phase Based on GPS", pp. 1947-1951, IEEE 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICPST.2002.1067873
- Z. Zhong, A.G. Phadke, Y. Liu et al., "Power System Frequency Monitoring Network (FNET) Implementation", IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 1914-1921, Nov., 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2005.857386
- Lei Wang, Richard W. Conners, Yilu Liu et al., "Frequency Disturbance Recorder Design and Developments", IEEE PES Summer Meeting, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/PES.2007.385880
- Sang-Tae Gim, Ji-Yeong Kim, Dong-Cul Yi, Wan- Seok Song, Su-Hyeong Jang, Young-Don Kim, "Time synchronization using data-area surveillance system implemented in K-WAMS", KIEE Fall Conference, pp. 44-46, 2008.11.
- Young-Hwan Mun, Tae-Hyun Kim "Korean-area power system monitoring system (K-WAMS)", The final report and presentation, pp. 44-46, 2009.8.
- Tae-YunGwon, Ll-Kwon Chung, Hyeon-Mo Yi, "Based on satellite communications and GPS data, a synchronous phase-measuring device developed" Proceedings of the PSPES Annual Conference 2008, pp. 101-106, 2008.3.
- K.S. Kook1 et al., "Global behaviour of power system frequency in Korean power system for the application of frequency monitoring network", IET Generation Transmission Distribution, Vol. 2, No. 5, pp. 764-774, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd:20070111
- T.S. Sidhu, "Accurate measurement of power system frequency using a digital signal processing technique", IEEE Trans. on I&M, Vol.48, No.1, pp. 75-81, February, 1999.
- C.W. Park, Y.S. Kim, "A Comparative Study of Frequency Estimation Techniques", IEEE T&D Asia Conference, PO13-4, Oct., 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TD-ASIA.2009.5356928
- P.J. Moore, R.D. Carranza, A.T. Johns, "A new numeric technique for high speed evaluaton of power system frequency", IEE Proc.-Gener. Transm. Distrib., Vol. 141, No. 5, pp. 529-536, Sepember, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:19941360
- A.G. Phadke, J.S. Thorp, "A new measurement technique for tracking voltage phasor, local system frequency, and rate of change of frequency", IEEE Trans. on PAS., Vol. PAS-102, No. 5, pp. 1025-1034, May, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1983.318043
- S.R. Nam, S.H. Kang, J.K. Park, "An Algorithm for Power Frequency Estimation using the Difference between the Gain of Cosine and Sine Filters", KIEE Trans, Vol. 55A, No. 6, pp. 249-254, Jun., 2006.
- C.W. Park, Y.H. Ban, "Advanced Frequency Estimation Algorithm for Frequency Disturbance Recorder", KIEE Spring Conference, PE-O08, pp. 37-39, May, 2010.