- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Enhancement of Power System Transient Stability and Power Quality Using a Novel Solid-state Fault Current Limiter
- Fereidouni, A.R. (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology) ;
- Vahidi, B. (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology) ;
- Mehr, T. Hoseini (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Isfahan University of Technology) ;
- Doiran, M. Garmroodi (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology)
- Received : 2010.11.24
- Accepted : 2011.04.28
- Published : 2011.07.01
Solid-state fault current limiters (SSFCL) in power systems are alternative devices to limit prospective short circuit currents from reaching lower levels. Fault current limiters (FCL) can be classified into two categories: R-type (resistive) FCLs and L-type (inductive) FCLs. L-type FCL uses an inductor to limit fault level and is more efficient in suppressing voltage drop during a fault. In contrast, R-type FCL is constructed with a resistance and is more effective in consuming the acceleration energy of generators during a fault. Both functions enhance the transient stability of the power system. In the present paper, a novel SSFCL is proposed to enhance power system transient stability and power quality. The proposed SSFCL uses both functions of an L-type and R-type FCL. SSFCL consists of four diodes, one self-turn-off IGCT, a current-limiting by-pass inductor (L), and a variable resistance parallel with an inductor for improvement of power system stability and prevention of over-voltage across SSFCL. The main advantages of the proposed SSFCL are the simplicity of its structure and control, low steady-state impedance, fast response, and the existence of R-type and Ltype impedances during the fault, all of which improve power system stability and power quality. Simulations are accomplished in PSCAD/EMTDC.
- Y. Shirai, K. Furushiba, Y. Shouno, M. Shiotsu, and T. Nitta, "Improvement of Power System Stability by Use of Superconducting Fault Current Limiter with ZnO Device and Resistor in Parallel," IEEE Transaction on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 18, No. 2, June 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2008.921212
- Masaki Yagami, Junji Tamura, "Enhancement of Transient Stability Using Fault Current Limiter and Thyristor Controlled Braking Resistor," Power Tech, 2007 IEEE Lausanne. https://doi.org/10.1109/PCT.2007.4538323
- Lin Ye, LiangZhen Lin and Klaus-Peter Juengst, "Application Studies of Superconducting Fault Current Limiters in Electric Power System," IEEE Trans. on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 12, No1, pp. 900-903, March 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2002.1018545
- Thomas P.Sheahen, "Introduction to High- Temperature Superconductivity," Plenum Press, New York and London.
- W. Paul, M. Chen, M. Lakner, J. Rhyner, D. Braun, W. Lanz, M. Kleimaier, "Superconducting Fault Current Limiter Applications, technical and economical benefits, simulations and test results," CIGRE session 2000, no 13-201.
- M.E. Almeida, C.S. Rocha, J.A. Dente, P.J. Costa Branco, "Enhancement of Power System Transient Stability and Power Quality using Superconducting Fault Current Limiters," Lisbon, Portugal, March18-20, 2009.
- A. J. Power, "An Overview of Transmission Fault Current limiters," Fault Current Limiters - A look at Tomorrow, IEE Colloquium on June 1995, pp 1/1−1/5. https://doi.org/10.1049/ic:19950140
- Takahiro Nomura, Mitsugi Yamaguchi and Satoshi Fukui et al, "Single DC reactor Type Fault Current Limiter for 6.6KV Power System," IEEE Trans. On Applied Superconductivity, Vol.11, No.1, March 2001:2090-2093. https://doi.org/10.1109/77.920268
- R. F. Giese et al., "Assessment study of superconducting fault current limiters operation at 77K," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 8, no. 3,pp. 1138-1147, July 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.252638
- R. K. Smith et al., "Solid state distribution current limiter and circuit breaker application requirements and control strategies," IEEE Trans. PWRD, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 1155-1164, July 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.252640
- E. Thuries et al., "Toward the superconducting fault current limiter," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 6, pp. 801-808, Apr. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.131138
- M. Chen et al., "Fabrication and characterization of superconducting rings for fault current limiter application," vol. 282-287, 1997.
- Gurjeet singh malhi, "Studies of fault current limiters for power systems protection", August, 2007.
- Manish Verma, "A comprehensive overview, behavioral model and Simulation of a Fault Current Limiter ", June 29, 2009.
- K. Furushiba and Y. Shirai et al., "Power system characteristics of the SCFCL in parallel with a resistor and a ZnO device," IEEE Trans. Applied Superconductivity, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 1915-1918, June 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2007.897261
- Zhengyu Lu, Daozhuo Jiang and Zhaolin Wu, "A New Topology of Fault-Current Limiter and Its Parameters Optimization." IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, PESC03. https://doi.org/10.1109/PESC.2003.1218335
- J. Machowski, Power System Dynamic and Stability: John Willey & sons press, 1997.
- The Impact of Solid State Fault Current Limiter on Power Network With Wind-Turbine Power Generation vol.4, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2213846
- Application of thyristor-controlled series reactor for fault current limitation and power system stability enhancement vol.63, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2014.05.059
- Performance of LR-type solid-state fault current limiter in improving power quality and transient stability of power network with wind turbine generators vol.74, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2015.07.001
- Solid-State Fault Current Limiter based on Magnetic Turn off Principle vol.4, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5370/JICEE.2014.4.2.095
- Enhancement of Transient Stability of the Nigeria 330 kV Transmission Network Using Fault Current Limiter vol.05, pp.09, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4236/jpee.2017.59008
- A hybrid superconducting fault current limiter for enhancing transient stability in Korean power systems vol.494, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physc.2013.04.025